Do you like to be alone when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
VivianE
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you like to be alone when you write?

Post by VivianE »

I like to write when I'm alone but do need noise something that happened when I was studying in high school. I can't always concentrate when it's completely quiet.
Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini

Post by Timea »

Oh, yes... I can't focus otherwise. Also, I prefer silence, so usually I write at night. But I also tend to put on some music, so I have a pleasant background noise, if complete silence is not possible, and it usually isn't.
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini
Emederem

Post by Emederem »

I like to write when I'm alone. I get distracted with people around. I can read with people around just not the writing part :)
KasMorin
Currently Reading: Silent Echo
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasmorin.html
2024 Reading Goal: 964
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by KasMorin »

In an ideal world I'm alone with a favorite beverage and snacks.

In my real world? I'm a stay at home mom right now...so I write in short bursts when I can occupy the kiddos.
greenpoppy

Post by greenpoppy »

I like to be alone when i write. Writing is such a personal thing and i feel vulnerable and exposed when i write. It's difficult to get to that head space with others around.
biggsrv
Favorite Author: Difficult....
Favorite Book: The Wind in the Willows
Currently Reading: The Chronicals of Thomas Covenant.

Post by biggsrv »

I don't mind company when I write but I do need peace. ideally I would be in a remote cottage with my wife, the dog and a single malt. This is the environment that most of my work has in fact been written.....space to think with no extraneous noise....no telephone...few cars.
Anna Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-meyer.html
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa

Post by Anna Meyer »

I prefer to be on my own when I'm writing... although there might be a few people around me, I still need to be left alone... to be alone with my thoughts, writing as the words come up... I do not like to be disturbt when I'm writing, I think it interferes with the flow. I love to have the first raw version pinned down, from the start to end. I'm talking 'bout letters/poems/thought-flows/emotional-thought flows. They are short writings.
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa
MoakVentures

Post by MoakVentures »

Writing is a mental exercise that requires intense concentration. I personally prefer to be alone when writing to minimize distractions.

Cheers!
AlexisDaniels
Favorite Author: B.E. Wilson
Favorite Book: Highway to the Stars series
Currently Reading: Awaiting the release of Blood Red Sky
fav_author_id: 2284

Post by AlexisDaniels »

I absolutely HAVE to be alone. Music on is preferred but if I'm not alone, I tend to talk more than I write, unless the person beside me is writing too. lol
jdunc123

Post by jdunc123 »

Yes, generally, although I can write with people I trust around. However, it's a bit boring for them, me scribbling away, staring into the middle distance absorbing inspiration, writing with a trance-like expression! Nice on my own, no distractions, but maybe TV on low, news channel with rollover news. First thing in morning best time to write. I feel fresh and inspired and nice to reach my 1,000 word target, which I can always add to later. Definitely best on your own.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I could go either way. Being alone allows me to focus, but sometimes I need someone to bounce ideas off of or to complain at because I can't find the right word.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Ithaca19

Post by Ithaca19 »

Wow sometimes it's great to be alone when I write. Other times the silence feels like its smothering all my creative ideas. The best mood for me is when I can hear noise off in the distance, but it's not right next to me distracting me.
kdtaylor27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdtaylor27.html

Post by kdtaylor27 »

I need either complete emptiness or a sensory overload. When writing alone I need absolute quietness, and it needs to be pitch black out. When writing during the "sensory overload" it's generally day time, on the curb of a busy parking lot while listening to music.
qwarry
Bookshelf Size: 6
Publishing Contest Votes: 1

Post by qwarry »

Cats and maybe a dog. No humans. Coffee, if having trouble getting mind in the zone, a little Kahlua or 7. Any time of day though usually I wake up at 4 am with an idea. So, early morning after chores and anytime after until around 5pm. However, in a brainstorm 5 am-8pm. Anytime the spirit moves me. If the word are there they must come out before they disappear. And how about the notes we write at midnight?
NessaRichards
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nessarichards.html

Post by NessaRichards »

I like to write late at night when there isn't so much noise. Then again, a coffee shop with some soft music is good too. I have a hard time writing when there are people I know around for some reason. There isn't any writing that happens if there is no tea though.

Return to “Writing Discussion”