Do you like to be alone when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Re: Do you like to be alone when you write?

Post by Randomgold »

I do prefer to be alone when I write. I find others to be distracting. I can handle it in public places, when most people aren't interesting in talking to me, but I make limited progress. Of course, I find a lot of things distracting as well, so maybe it's not just people. Maybe I just have trouble concentrating. I'd make a joke about there being a squirrel or some such, but that would seem ineffective, given the medium.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I like to usually write alone, but I cannot write at home. There are too many things and tasks pulling at me, including my cats. I don't have to have total silence, but have to usually end up going to a coffee shop to write. That's when I make my best work, usually.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I dont usually care what's going on around me. I can usually block it out but I do feel more comfortable when I am alone. I feel like my imagination has a little more space since I don't have to be even slightly aware of my surroundings. Since I am a full time student, full time worker, and a mom of a 1 yr old, I find that time very rare. I have found that I can write while on my lunch break, for an hour after I put my daughter to bed, and even in class (which I know sounds terrible but's absolutely boring).
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
constantine265
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constantine265.html
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch

Post by constantine265 »

Yes, I have a small room I use for writing.
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch
A Cup of Positivity
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-cup-of-positivity.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by A Cup of Positivity »

I used to write alone, but lately, my niece has been wanting to write with me and likes to talk when she has a comment or a question about her own story, and if she wants to hear about my story. So, in the end, I guess I don't mind being alone or writing while another person is there.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

When I write, I MUST be alone. I'm the type that is easily distracted. So I need to be alone so I can focus on what it is that I'm writing. If someone is in a room with me, they can't talk to me or anyone else. They must be absolutely silent.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Yes! It's one of the things that keep me concentrated. Any little noise could make me lose focus.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I prefer a silent environment with less distractions. Ideally it would be better if no distractions are there to waste my time
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

If I have a preconceived story in my mind, I like to write alone. But, if I need to take things from the real world I would like to be in contact with the real world by observing them.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I absolutely, 100%, need to be alone. My husband is too nosey and wants to read my writing as I write it, but I don't want him to read anything until it's been edited and polished. Plus, I dislike having people around as distractions. I want to be able to be in the headspace I feel I need to be in, with no outside distractions (I'm enough of a distraction for myself), and no one to be reading over my shoulder or asking me about what I'm writing. You'll find out when I'm done!
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

This is the only way I can write. Unless I am sitting in front of the fireplace with my husband and a glass of wine to help me write. But in this case, I usually use headphones and listen to music.
Amber Ackerman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Amber Ackerman »

I need to be alone with music on in order to write. Not just any kind of music but a music that can strike something within me and then the writing just flows from my fingers into my pen onto the paper. Typing when I am feeling creative does not make for a good combination, in fact, it can cause me to become blocked. I has to be the feeling of a pen or pencil moving on a piece of paper and not just any kind of paper but a soft sort of paper with no lines and completely bright white. This is how I can be at my most creative. :wink:
elissasmart
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elissasmart »

I like to stay among people in places, like coffee-shops or parks, but not to interact with them. I don't know why, but I need this. I don't like having a connection with people but want to be noticed.
Khrysalis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khrysalis.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Khrysalis »

I have a family and six small dogs. The idea of being alone is a long, forgotten dream. I've learned to cope as best I can. I've trained people that if they cannot find some way to be elsewhere, then to at least try not to interact with me, bother me, talk to me, ask me for something, or put things on my desk when I'm in the midst of writing. I press in my earbuds and crank up the music to drown everyone and everything out and through long practice, whatever cannot be drowned out can be tuned out.

I've heard that I miss things that are happening right next to me when I'm writing, and I've been the butt of more than one joke based on my selective deafness, but...desperate times.
Tessa23Darling
Currently Reading: The Fire Within
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tessa23darling.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Tessa23Darling »

I need to be completely alone in a comfy chair with a cup of tea. No music, no noise, no kids or husband. Just me and my notebook and my ideas.

Return to “Writing Discussion”