Do you like to be alone when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
craftshley
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craftshley.html
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston

Re: Do you like to be alone when you write?

Post by craftshley »

I prefer to be alone but surrounded by people, like in a coffee shop. No one is going to bother me but I have lots of ambient noise and some good coffee to help me along, as well as something else to focus on when I get bored or tired of typing. I like local coffee shops but a good Starbucks will do in a pinch.
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

The only way that I can really write well is if I'm alone. I can't seem to concentrate when other people are around. I'll look around and watch people and get distracted if there are other conversations going on around me. I would prefer to write alone in my room mostly. But if I go to a coffee shop and its quiet I might be able to get some writing in. I write in short quick bursts usually when an idea strikes me. I don't mind listening to music while I write though. I'll listen to violin or piano instrumentals or some classical music. Fast paced pieces make me write faster, so that makes me feel like I'm more motivated!
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I can do either, but I do prefer writing when alone if I had my druthers. :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
ribbons and roses
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ribbons-and-roses.html

Post by ribbons and roses »

I hate writing with other people around me. Obviously in school when I write an essay I don't have a choice. But then again, I don't really put my feeling, emotion, and passion into that kind of writing. When I do write alone, I can just let everything go, and pour out all of my feelings onto that piece of paper.
Wendy 1122

Post by Wendy 1122 »

I have to be alone when I write. Solitude is a necessity. This might be partly due to my social anxiety, though. I also tend to make silly faces when I write.
AliciaC14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliciac14.html

Post by AliciaC14 »

I must be alone when I write. I like to read my work back to myself to get the flow. No noise no background sound just my thoughts
hiluhriehope
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiluhriehope.html

Post by hiluhriehope »

I do prefer to be alone when I write, then I don't have to worry about distractions from other people. I also like to write at night, partly because it's more likely that the rest of my family is in bed already and I'll have time to myself.

Unfortunately, I work crazy hours that start early in the morning, have two toddlers, a husband, two cats, and a puppy. Writing alone at night hasn't happened in a long time! :)
CA_Griffith
Favorite Author: Lee Child
Currently Reading: The Nightmare Merchant
fav_author_id: 4411

Post by CA_Griffith »

No question. Alone
icemech04
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-icemech04.html

Post by icemech04 »

I like to write alone though I'm curious what i'd be like to experiment in the company of others.

Maybe one day...
doppelganger
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doppelganger.html

Post by doppelganger »

I don't get the chance to write unless I am alone. If someone else is there, they won't leave me be.
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

I definitely prefer to be alone when I'm writing. I hate to be distracted by voices and even music. I know many authors love listening to music when they write, but it's not for me. I love music at any other time. If I do write when in company, I always end up changing most of it later on.
RenaissanceWoman
Favorite Author: Variable
Favorite Book: Changes Often
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renaissancewoman.html

Post by RenaissanceWoman »

I prefer to be alone but I'm learning how to shut the world out. As a full time RV'er I pretty much live in a single room with my ever present husband. When he goes out I grab the opportunity to write as much as I can! But there are many other things going on - people walking around the park, playing loud music, kids screaming and a whole host of other distractions. It's a question of adapt or surrender!

-- 28 Oct 2014, 00:05 --
Anna-Violet_95

Post by Anna-Violet_95 »

martyjkh wrote:I need to be on my own, although sometimes i have music on, does that countas being alone?
According to me, it counts in a certain sense: in fact you are with no one but only with you (and you are a person, anyway :)). However the same thing happens to me... Especially when I write about my feelings, since music can give a sense to my thoughts.
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

Not really, I could write when I am with someone or like in a class :)
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

As long as they aren't bothering me and I can hear myself think people are allowed to be around me. Sometimes I need utter silence, but most of the time personal silence and outside noise suits me just fine.

Return to “Writing Discussion”