Do you like to be alone when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
animalgirl
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-animalgirl.html

Re: Do you like to be alone when you write?

Post by animalgirl »

I like to be alone when I write and read, but very rarely am. I live in a small house and either my husband or daughter are constantly going in and out of the house, plus my computer and desk is out in the open. We have a very open living room and kitchen with no doors or walls between. I'm right near the front door so I can hear and see everyone coming and going and talking, constantly talking. So much for my silence and writing. :cry:
Booklover97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover97.html

Post by Booklover97 »

Yes, I need to be alone when I write. I try to stay away from distractions and disturbances.
scorp0111
Favorite Author: Khaled Hosseini
Favorite Book: To Sir With Love by E R Braithwaite
Currently Reading: Kill List by Fredrick Forsyth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scorp0111.html
fav_author_id: 2454

Post by scorp0111 »

Yes, I write best when I am alone. If there are people around me during my writing sessions - my thought process gets derailed and I malfunction :). I love being alone in my study with my favourite music on and a cup of tea/ coffee to help me get into the flow.
AmandaLMcCormick
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandalmccormick.html

Post by AmandaLMcCormick »

I can generally be in two modes when I write. There are times when I am a social writer... I like to talk to people, to feel like I have a connection. This is usually when I'm writing commissions.

When I'm working on my personal stuff... I go to my desk, close my bedroom door and escape into the world inside of my head.
Chizzyon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizzyon.html

Post by Chizzyon »

Even when am not a lone (which i don't mind), i prefer some peace and quiet. :D
booklovingolfer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

Yes I like to be alone when I am writing or reading.
brucealmighty
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brucealmighty.html

Post by brucealmighty »

I think really its a matter of what you like and what environment you thrive in. Personally I like to be on my own and in a quiet and peaceful place so that there are no distractions and its therefore easy to concentrate and become emerged in writing.
clmartz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clmartz.html

Post by clmartz »

Absolutely. I've tried to get writing done when I'm around others, and it very rarely works. Unfortunately for me, that's usually when I'm most inspired to do so. Alas, I can't seem to focus unless I'm in solitude.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Yes, I like to be alone with no noise, and I am very secretive and embarrassed over my writing especially when I first start a story.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I don't mind whether I am alone or not. Usually I am not alone, but I can't be around people who insist on talking to me or disrupting me. Fortunately, I am always surrounded by people who speak a different language than I do, so they're easy to ignore.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Alone.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

Need to be alone when I write and preferably in my room because all my materials are within reach. A little bit of music to keep me company and a bottle of water and I'm set. I get distracted easily by the TV so big no-no. I can't be around people unless they're doing their own thing so they don't keep peeking at what I'm writing or keep talking to me. I tend to space out while I'm in writing mode as my way of thinking about what I'm writing.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Naomi
Favorite Author: Anais Nin
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomi.html
fav_author_id: 4414

Post by Naomi »

Another loner here..

I'm quite a private person especially when it comes to my writing and I also think I concentrate better and write good quality material when I'm in solitude.
Archie1791
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archie1791.html

Post by Archie1791 »

I like to write, when i am alone as it helps to concentrate or analyze the thoughts but i also enjoy to write at crazy places like in my office, at a mall, in a train (you will find it stranze) but i feel happy by writing at those places as i see different people and their life, their happiness and struggle, it feels more amazing to connect my life with them and add them up in my story. It helps to ease me up even if i am not talking to them. :)
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

I need to be alone when I write. The slightest bit of noise distracts me until I'm in "writing mode" ... after that very little can distract me :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.

Return to “Writing Discussion”