Would you ever write a book to prove a point?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 7607

Re: Would you ever write a book to prove a point?

Post by KS Crooks »

Only if the point had some greater significance to other people, such as the origin of the universe or the nature of Dark Matter. I guess this is me channeling my inner Stephen Hawking.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Although I don't have much interest in writing a book at the moment, I would do it to more like prove a point to myself instead of proving a point to someone else. I wouldn't really have anyone else to prove a point to. My parents are always supportive of everything I do, so they wouldn't have any problems with me writing a book. I also don't really have that much friends that would care whether I wrote a book or not. So it would definitely be to prove to myself that I could do it. Like I said though, I don't have much interest in writing right now. Maybe in a few years or so, I might be looking for something different to try. I guess we will see.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
theredhairedcrow
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12069">The Transformer Trilogy</a>
Currently Reading: Tracker (Foreigner)
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by theredhairedcrow »

In fiction, I have never written a book just to prove a point, nor would I ever, but I do often write down points I wish to include in a work and then do so. I try not to write it as part of the narrative, but instead make the point(s) through character dialogue, interactions or descriptions given by a character. I think of it is as logically and/or subtly making a point in a reasonble way so that the reader(s) might learn something that might not otherwise have known or realized. I think it can have a longer lasting, more positive effect in that way.

In non-fiction, I still would not write a book just to prove a point. Instead, I might and have written a book to explain or expand on a topic, but it's not to prove a point. Its to inform, often simply from a different perspective from the average or majority view. For example, I am working on a Native American themed scholarly work on a certain topic that has been written about before, but primarily by non-native writers without direct personal experience. As a native writer and academician, I and others like me might provide greater insight.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Huh... you know, I write middle-grade crossover stuff, and every agent out there says, "Don't send me a book that teaches a moral lesson." I like to include moral lessons in my books, mostly about compassion. But apparently, you're not supposed to do this.

I'd be as likely to stop as I would be to sell out.
faeryfyre
Bookshelf Size: 38

Post by faeryfyre »

I think a lot of books are written to prove a point. I definitely would, though maybe I would end up writing the book because I want to and hinting at a point within it. But isn't that nearly the same thing?
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

No, because whenever I am forced to write something it usually ends up being a complete disaster. I have to write something that inspires me and drives me to complete it, and not to prove my side of the argument.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Can you please elaborate on what you say in the post. If I have got what you are trying to say correctly, I think it is a useless thing to do
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Voltaire did it with Candide.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

Absolutely. Especially to prove a point.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Yes if a situation call for this I would definitely do.
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

Yes I would actually I write poems especially when I am thinking a lot.
Wanja Kenya
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Of course I would! I would try at least, because just because I want a certain point to be proven doesn't mean it will be. At the end of the day, a little ambiguity never hurt my readers; they can come to their own conclusions and prove their own points. Sure, I might be a little sour about it and feel misunderstood, but I'd be happy with something being taken from my work than nothing at all.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
AdamRedWolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamredwolf.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by AdamRedWolf »

Stick it to the haters. Just write it. No more excuses.
hotnicey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by hotnicey »

I know this is an old thread. I would like to make my point. Writing a book to address an issue, is okay, if it relates to academics or non-fiction genre.
Prometheus_emissary
Currently Reading:

Post by Prometheus_emissary »

I wrote my book to get the message out there and solidify my own understanding of the thoughts and emotions that flew around in my head.
Even if something doesn't sell, having your whole argument in a book form you can just throw at someone is pretty powerful in comparison to not having that.
So, yes. But isn't everyone that writes something new trying to do exactly that?

Return to “Writing Discussion”