Would you ever write a book to prove a point?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
jazzybear
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: The Mortal Insruments City of Glass
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazzybear.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Would you ever write a book to prove a point?

Post by jazzybear »

I would certainly write a book to prove a point. It maybe fun and you can rub it in the other person's face that you were able to write a book with an explanation. Mostly likely, because I love books, I will read the book and write my own personal review for it.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

jazzybear wrote:I would certainly write a book to prove a point. It maybe fun and you can rub it in the other person's face that you were able to write a book with an explanation. Mostly likely, because I love books, I will read the book and write my own personal review for it.
It's Monday so maybe I'm a bit dense but I have no idea what your post is about. Perhaps you might explain :?
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

Do you mean like to prove your point in an argument? As in, to demonstrate that you were right about something? Or do you mean to prove the point that you can write?

If it is the first thing--the problem with that would be that the story would be too one-dimensional. The best stories (and discussions) are ones in which ideas are exchanged and people try to learn from each other, and see beyond their own perspectives. When books just ramble on about how faultless the ideas they present are, it can get boring if the other side of the argument is not presented.

But if you mean the second point, then if that's what motivates you, great! But spite is not normally a long-lasting form of motivation. :-)
jazzybear
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: The Mortal Insruments City of Glass
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazzybear.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by jazzybear »

Its more like prove a point in anything. I, in my example, proved a point to show I was able to write one with an explanation to someone's question/answer.
JessiFox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessifox.html

Post by JessiFox »

I'm an incredibly stubborn person, and someone implying that I can't do something would make me very tempted to do it just on that basis. Realistically though, I don't have such an abundance of free time that I can imagine doing that just to prove a point. I try to be very mindful of where my time and energy are going, and choose things in accordance with my priorities. Stubbornness isn't really on the top of that list ;).

-- 25 Mar 2014, 04:52 --
jazzybear wrote:Its more like prove a point in anything. I, in my example, proved a point to show I was able to write one with an explanation to someone's question/answer.
Can we just take a moment to appreciate jazzybear + JessiFox? I'm sleep deprived, so maybe it's disproportionately amusing to me, but it seemed amusing enough to note :P.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

jazzybear wrote:Its more like prove a point in anything. I, in my example, proved a point to show I was able to write one with an explanation to someone's question/answer.
A lot of effort and how can you be sure they ever read the book ... I'd say "build a bridge & get over it" :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html

Post by npandit »

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind my asking, what was the point (or argument) you were trying to prove?
KLyons1
Favorite Author: Many
Favorite Book: See Favorite Author
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klyons1.html
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith

Post by KLyons1 »

That hasn't been a motivation so far for me, but I'm sure it has been for others.

It's not quite the same thing, but this brought to mind one of Michael Connelly's mystery books. Clint Eastwood had made a movie based on Connelly's thriller Blood Work, but made many changes. Connelly has said that while it's always going to be a thrill to get to meet Eastwood, he was disappointed by the end result of the film. So much so that in his next book in his ongoing Harry Bosch mysteries, Connelly wrote a story that involved Bosch interviewing the Blood Work characters - and all of them had things to say along the lines of "And if you saw the movie, they got my part wrong ..."
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith
scriptbunny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scriptbunny.html
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.

Post by scriptbunny »

I would never write a book just as evidence in an argument (assuming that is what you mean), but I have certainly at least heard of people editing Wikipedia articles for the same effect.
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

Maybe. It depends on what that point is. I would include experiences that have affected me and have my characters overcome those challenges such as bullying, etc. and have them become better than ever. Something like that, I guess.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question... but I am thinking about participating in NaNoWriMo this year to prove a point to myself that I can actually write a book, even if it isn't very good. I think that I would write a book to prove a point in the sense that someone said something that struck me and ignited my curiosity and became an inspiration, however, I don't think that I would write a book just to spite one particular person because of an argument we once had. I don't think that is a very healthy way to work through an issue. Writing should be about you and what you want and feel, not an attack on someone else. That's how I feel anyway.
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

I wouldn't write one just to prove a specific point in an argument, but I do make sure to take a step back from my characters every once in a while and make sure they're not all white and/or straight since diversity is extremely important. I also write to help others, like one idea I'm working on is all about a man's journey through realizing/trying to escape an abusive marriage. This way it sheds light on the topic of male abuse survivors, and also gives those who are living it someone to identify with.
mui-scrimp
Favorite Book: This question is impossible
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mui-scrimp.html

Post by mui-scrimp »

I would definitely write a book to prove a point, if I was a good enough writer to effectively get my message accross. I think people will let their mind wander when they read a book, and it keeps them open to any idea the book presents. For example, Animal Farm by George Orwell is (at first glance) a story about a bunch of animals on a farm, then it starts to show you an allegory for government and the people under it. Proves a point "absolute power corrupts absolutely." If I could write well, I would write as many books as I could to communicate what I think is important.
There are weapons you cannot hold in your hands. You can only hold them in your mind.
-Brian Herbert
CA_Griffith
Favorite Author: Lee Child
Currently Reading: The Nightmare Merchant
fav_author_id: 4411

Post by CA_Griffith »

Just did. My latest novel clearly describes why the effort to legalize marijuana and other dangerous drugs is insanity.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Uh, yeah actually I would! I am a high-functioning autistic person who appears to be very "normal," i.e. I have a family, I can hold down a job, and I can carry on a conversation. There are many of us out there, and every now and then I feel like publishing my story to educate the general populace about the diversity of the Autism Spectrum. Others before me have already written autobiographies, but I feel that we need all of the "advertising" we can get! We're not all like Rain Man!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Writing Discussion”