Unfinished Novels?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
cooltodd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Unfinished Novels?

Post by cooltodd »

The unfinished novel is the common sign of the aspiring writer. Even established authors often have a collection of unfinished novels.

Do you have any or some? What's it about? Do you plan on finishing it?

Do you find it easier to start a piece of writing than it is to finish it?
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I have several. I also have two finished ones that I just think are crapola.

I'm not sure I'll ever be an author, but I do have a compulsion to write.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Wicked Betty

Post by Wicked Betty »

I have one at the moment that has me so befuddled I don't know what to do. GO back and revise, or finish it first. I know it's decent, but at the moment it's in first adn third person, which I know is total crap. i just can't decide if I want in in first or third. Ideas???
SethLeonst

Post by SethLeonst »

I have quite a few unfinished novels. Sadly, those have become so confusing they have found their places lost on my hard drive. Don't edit. Just keep writing until its finished.
msstroda

Post by msstroda »

I have a number of unfinished novels. I feel they will be wonderful when finished, I just don't seem to be able to find the time to finish them all. :?

To Wicked Betty, pick either/or. Either first or third person. Then it may begin to make sense to you, IMO. :)
Toni Stauffer

Post by Toni Stauffer »

I have a few. I plan on finishing all of them. But my priority right now is my novel DYING MOON. I'm trying to finish the rough draft by summer's end because I want to show it to friends at a large convention I'll be attending.
kaytie

Post by kaytie »

I have an unfinished novel. I started and abandoned it in high school. It was meant to be a fantasy trilogy in which my protagonists would save the kingdom and restore magic to a country that looked like France with Spain chopped off.

Highly original, I know. :roll:

I can still see all the characters clearly in my imagination even though it has been a good 12 years since I last wrote in those pages.
Kyle22

Post by Kyle22 »

There's probably more unfinished novels in the world than finished ones. It's a shame to put so much work into a novel and then not finish it.
AstonWest

Post by AstonWest »

I have entire directories of unfinished novels and stories in various stages of completion.

Sometimes you just realize partway in that a storyline just won't ever go anywhere.

Sometimes you just don't have enough hours in the day to get to them all...time is precious, and must be used on the work you believe the most in.
Syrcco44
Currently Reading: Scorpio Races By Stiefvater

Post by Syrcco44 »

I have so many unfinished novels, it's not even funny - and the list of novels I have been aspiring to write always grows - why even today I suddenly got a whacking of inspiration and wrote a beginning paragraph for another one of my nonexsistant novel that I have no idea where it will go. I would love to elaborate on it all and tell what I have started but the list is waaay too long. Don't want to bore.

I remember, however, starting a novel around middle school and it was about a slave girl who escapes with her mother to the North - that's been done - a lot. So I dropped it. I still have it though - just for amusement and what not but I have so many other novels that are more important so that's my direction.
Kyle22 wrote: There's probably more unfinished novels in the world than finished ones. It's a shame to put so much work into a novel and then not finish it.
Wow. That's so true. And yes, it is a huge shame to go to all that work and not even finish it. I'm so happy, though because the novel that I started in 7th grade has finally reached it's first draft - so even if I don't get to the final copy it will still be finished one way or another. It hit a huge dormant stage though, and for a long while I thought it died but then I picked it back up again. I think it's worth it to finish one unfinished novel, though - it's a great accomplishment - even if you don't get published.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Its always easier to begin a story than it is to end it. I have tons of unfinished stories that I keep promising myself that one day, I will return to. Something just always happen right in the middle of the story. I would have my beginning and I'll know the ending but that middle part... That's the reason I can never seem to finish most of my longer stories.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

I'm halfway through my second draft, and I'm kinda loosing steam...
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I have a few unfinished novels not because I lost interest, but because I know I can't edit my own work properly.
katiestardis
Currently Reading: Just Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by katiestardis »

I have an unfinished contemporary fairytale that I haven't touched for a couple months. I will get to it eventually. I hit a point where I decided to go back and change the personality of the main character, so it's going to take some work.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I used to have a lot more, but after my old computer gave out I lost all but the few I had emailed to myself. I still haven't learned my lesson though... I still don't back anything up unless it's over a few chapters long! I figure if I'm only going to write a few pages and then ignore it for months, I'm not going to make any real progress on it anyways. No big loss if it disappears.

Return to “Writing Discussion”