Time to write

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
scriptbunny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scriptbunny.html
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.

Re: Time to write

Post by scriptbunny »

Generally I write in the morning an hour or two before going to work. Really the only secret there is to force yourself to do it. Also, and this might seem counterintuitive, but I've found that stopping in the middle of a passage is great since when I next pick up my writing I know exactly what I want to say (all the things I didn't get to finish before) which puts me in the groove.
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.
Dolliebaby77
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolliebaby77.html

Post by Dolliebaby77 »

miriam123373 wrote:How do you find time to write? I am a writer, but it is not my profession. So, my problem arises from being able to step in and out of that story world without my mind straggling behind in one or the other. Any tips?
Well, First of all you really need to try set at least two or three hours a week if that's all you can spare and then, answer no phones, and just tell people in your family you are need that time to concentrate on your writing because that is so Important to everybody whom writes, As you know ! Give that a shot and let me know, Please! :)

Sincerely,
Wendy Ann Patterson

-- 21 Jul 2014, 18:45 --
mbeasley wrote:What about right before you go to bed? I'm sure you're usually tired (I mean why else would you be going to bed?), but I find that some of my best ideas come to me right before sleep. I sometimes wish that I had a voice recorder to record my ideas so that I can go back and write them down later when I have time. I tend to forget my thoughts by morning.

HI,

I Get some of my Ideas From my dreams also, How I handle it is well when I first started writing I would keep a journal next to my bed. When I would wake up with an Idea I Would write my Ideas down. In the morning, I Would go and write everything up into the story my computer. I did use a Voice Recorder for a while but, I went back to the Journal because the Voice Recorder picked up every little noise. Please let me know it goes, OK? :)

Sincerely,
Wendy Ann Patterson

-- 21 Jul 2014, 19:13 --
randolphfine wrote:I like what Dream Reader posted about setting a particular time each day to write. I work nights in a factory, have a family, and try to squeeze in whatever reading and writing I can. I do set time aside to write, but find that I am having a hard time staying on topic and not getting mentally distracted. I need to segment my writing times so that the book in my head is not thrown by the wayside by my blog.

Hi! How are you today? :) It sounds like you are really really busy and I think you should try decide on only a couple times a week to start with for your blog and your book. It is very Important that you make time for your writing but don't get stressed over it just one day at a time, one hour at a time and finally one page at a time.

Sincerely,

Wendy Ann Patterson

-- 21 Jul 2014, 19:32 --
Barabas_T wrote:What worked for me was to set a time at which I started writing every day. So at about 10 at night I would sit down, shut the lights off, light a few scented candles and put a song on repeat. By recreating the same atmosphere when I was writing it helped me to get back in the story easier.
HI,

I know New Kids On the Block relaxes me when I Writes and I listen to them or watch Wahlburgers every time I Write, I Love It! :)

Sincerely.
Wendy Ann Patterson

-- 21 Jul 2014, 19:37 --
Barabas_T wrote:What worked for me was to set a time at which I started writing every day. So at about 10 at night I would sit down, shut the lights off, light a few scented candles and put a song on repeat. By recreating the same atmosphere when I was writing it helped me to get back in the story easier.
HI,

I know New Kids On the Block relaxes me when I Writes and I listen to them or watch Wahlburgers every time I Write, I Love It! :)

Sincerely.
Wendy Ann Patterson
gazamatazabbott

Post by gazamatazabbott »

If it helps - having a two tiered writing approach works for me on occasion. My 'main' writing happens sitting at my desk using a computer, but if I am short on time or want a new environment, I write notes by hand in a pad - anything from rough plot lists and connections to full chapters - and then if I am having a slow writing day, I can write up those notes at the computer. This both means I am already on my second draft (as you tend to self edit when copying up notes) and gets me started. Generally I end up writing even more when I work this way. Time of day is subjective though - completely down to what suits you and your schedule - but doing something like this may help you get the most out of time you've put aside. Good luck!
Dolliebaby77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolliebaby77.html

Post by Dolliebaby77 »

I have also found lately that first thing after I wake I find myself writing down things from a dream or nightmare I just had or in the middle of the night.

Wendy Ann Patterson
annareads
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annareads.html
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis

Post by annareads »

scriptbunny wrote:this might seem counterintuitive, but I've found that stopping in the middle of a passage is great since when I next pick up my writing I know exactly what I want to say (all the things I didn't get to finish before) which puts me in the groove.
I've heard this advice a lot, so it's good to know it works for someone! It does make sense; I should try this!
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Stopping in the middle of a passage may work for some, but my nagging sense of finishing a task won't let me do this.

To compensate, when I start writing again, I re-read what I'd just written before, which helps establish the needed continuity.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Booklover97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover97.html

Post by Booklover97 »

Take some time out specially for writing. And then dedicate that time completely to writing. Do not think of anything else. You could do it every weekend if you don't have time everyday. Be stress-free when you write.
heathervalle3

Post by heathervalle3 »

I am a writer also but like you, it is not my fulltime job. So, here is what I do: always wear something that has pockets- that will fit sticky note pads in them. When you think of something jot it down and when you get home you can put the sticky notes where they need to be. When you take a bathroom break: if you think of a character name and trait - jot it down... little things add up to big things later :-)
curlybookworm
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curlybookworm.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by curlybookworm »

I'm a morning person! I love the sweet solitude of the wee hours to spill my thoughts and scribble them. :) Fresh mind produces fresh ideas!
"With freedom, BOOKS, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?" ~ Oscar Wilde
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

Depends which shift I'm on when I work. If it's morning shift then I have at least a couple of hours or so to write after work. If it's night shift...I'm screwed. I only have enough energy to prepare for bed before crashing. But I do have at least an hour or two to write in the morning if I'm not too tired to wake up early. Basically, I just find whatever time I have to write and when I have enough energy and take it. With the little amount of time I have...I'm not picky.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I really, really hate having my train of thought interrupted when I'm trying to write. I like to get up before everybody else and write in the solitude of the morning before the bustle of the day. I always go to bed with a notepad and write down things that come to mind in the middle of the night. Sometimes if I get a really good idea I spend more time writing in the middle of the night when it's very quiet. I also always carry a notepad with me during the day so any time an idea comes to me I can jot it down and save it for my writing time.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Part of the skills you learn when working for a newspaper is the ability to think and write amidst the bustle and hustle of a crazy open office environment. It was years ago and then we had manual typewriters, and the noise and chatter were ceaseless. And still you had to write.

That's served me well in years afterward. I could write during a hurricane. And in fact have.

Not that I'd recommend this behavior, ha ha
dunappy
Favorite Author: N.R. Walker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7">Soaring Hearts</a>
Currently Reading: Dreams of the Forgotten (Sumeria's Sons, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 4294
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 35683

Post by dunappy »

I struggle with the finding time to write part. This year I'm going to be making goals though. I often have a "free window" between 5:30 p.m. when I get home and 7:00p.m. when the distractions start. So from now until the middle of spring that will be my time to write. I'll have to think of something for the spring and summer because as the days get longer, that means I have more time to ride my horses. Right now though it's too dark to ride when I get home. Hopefully it works out.
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

curlybookworm wrote:I'm a morning person! I love the sweet solitude of the wee hours to spill my thoughts and scribble them. :) Fresh mind produces fresh ideas!
I am too!
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

If you work at it (and I recommend that you do), you can learn to write any time, most anywhere. (By "you" I mean the group you, not one person)

Yes, I write better when I'm relaxed and have plenty of time to work. But I've learned to fit in small bits and pieces, too.

Return to “Writing Discussion”