Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
M_liabelle
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-liabelle.html

Re: Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Post by M_liabelle »

Most people think I'm a quiet person - introverted, but my friends think otherwise. I can be very outspoken when the topic interests me. :)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

RussetDivinity wrote:I tend to be quiet unless I'm with friends or excited. Most of the time this is because I'm thinking things over or observing the world. I feel like a lot of writers have something quiet about them, where they can let thoughts develop into stories.
I love the way you worded this. Right on the dot! 8)
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

Being quiet or not depends on the situation I'm in. I can be in party mood along with everyone else if I'm at that kind of gathering. But I do spend a lot of time 'doing my own thing' - which can be simply reading, writing, or doing research for my writing. At those times I confess to being a bit of a recluse!
nidhish

Post by nidhish »

I'm a quiet person specially when i am with strangers ,but i'm fine with people who know me specially with my family . yea by the way most writers are quiet which is why there creations speak so loud .
hiluhriehope
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiluhriehope.html

Post by hiluhriehope »

I'm definitely quiet and introverted. It takes me a long time to warm up to people, although once I get to know somebody and decide that I like them, I can't seem to shut up. :)
With that said, I fake being extroverted pretty well. I'm an extrovert at work, because I think it would seem rude if I was too quiet around my coworkers, so I fake it 'til I make it. :)
MichaelMcManus
Favorite Author: James Michner
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: Too Young to Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaelmcmanus.html

Post by MichaelMcManus »

I lead a very quiet life, but I can hardly be thought of as an introvert. I have had my share of center stage, singing and acting when I was young. I still do a bit of singing in public, mostly in Karaoke bars. If you put a Neil Diamond, Frank SInatra or Bobby Darin song on and hand me a mike, you may be hard pressed to get the mike back. I think most writers trick themselves into believing they are introverts, because writing is such a lonesome endeavor. In actuality, if you have the nerve to publish your written works, you are exposing your thoughts to the world. I would call that a very bold step, something a truly timid person would never do.
Friedrich Nietzsche: And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
carinarivera26

Post by carinarivera26 »

I'm usually very quiet also. I never know what to say when I'm around other people.

-- 25 Sep 2014, 17:46 --

I'm usually very quiet also. I never know what to say when I'm around other people.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

Most people consider me a "quiet" person because I'm not very good at making silly conversation. I speak when there is something to talk about. When I am in a crowd I like to observe people, in fact anywhere I am I like to observe people and surroundings and what is going on and the way different people react to things. When I first saw this post I thought that is what people were going to say but every post I read just said how they were in crowds and not why they were that way. I wonder if is because other writers are busy observing and listening to what is going on around them too rather than talking, and that is why people consider them "quiet" also. The fewer people there are, the more I talk and that's when I find out interesting things about people too.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

Pssssh naw, I'm the loudest girl ever. If I say I'm quiet that just makes me more obnoxious.
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
rida
Favorite Author: A lot
Favorite Book: More than favorite authors
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rida.html
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy

Post by rida »

I am a talker with people I love and tell them everything in my life but I am really quite with people I don't know much and no matter how much I try I can't think of anything to talk to the person in front of me and it mostly makes me angry
Read, read & eat then read some more
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

MichaelMcManus wrote:I lead a very quiet life, but I can hardly be thought of as an introvert. I have had my share of center stage, singing and acting when I was young. I still do a bit of singing in public, mostly in Karaoke bars. If you put a Neil Diamond, Frank SInatra or Bobby Darin song on and hand me a mike, you may be hard pressed to get the mike back. I think most writers trick themselves into believing they are introverts, because writing is such a lonesome endeavor. In actuality, if you have the nerve to publish your written works, you are exposing your thoughts to the world. I would call that a very bold step, something a truly timid person would never do.
That's a good point about exposing your thoughts to the world.
Just to warn you though... introverts never claim to be lonesome and some of them out there might attack you if they ever heard you say that. Hahaha. I only say this because I belong to an introvert support group (which never actually meets... lol...). I think you meant "isolated" instead of "lonesome." Actually, to be honest, I don't even care. I am just messing with you because I love talking about introversion. It's my weird fascination in life. 8)
SCTurner

Post by SCTurner »

I am definitely an introvert until I get to know someone. This usually gives the wrong impression that I am aloof. I have several friends that would tell me that. The great thing about being an introvert is that I pay attention to as much as I can, which translates into great writing, I hope. ;-)
cheesysprinkles
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheesysprinkles.html

Post by cheesysprinkles »

Im not so quiet, I do like to talk alot :D
lisateb
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisateb.html
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig

Post by lisateb »

I am a very quiet person. I don't really know how to socialize. That is why reading and writing are so nice because I can pretend to be social. :)
"Why understand when you can believe?" Christopher Moore, Coyote Blue
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig
Wendy 1122

Post by Wendy 1122 »

I'm a hermit. I loathe talking. I like watching people and listening to their conversations. As a child, while everyone else wished to be princesses, I wished to be invisible so I could observe humanity. Strange, I know.

Return to “Writing Discussion”