Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
WinterCandyMints
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Re: Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Post by WinterCandyMints »

No. I'm extremely loud and energetic. But, I love writing. It's my favorite thing to do besides make people laugh.
CA_Griffith
Favorite Author: Lee Child
Currently Reading: The Nightmare Merchant
fav_author_id: 4411

Post by CA_Griffith »

I would say I am for the most part, but being in law enforcement I have to become a little vocal at times. Maybe it's good I save it up for when I really need it :-)
JemmaHayes

Post by JemmaHayes »

I find that I am fairly confident, actually. Not that 'quiet' people are not confident, but generally speaking quietness suggests being shy. I like to be a little quirky! :D
ameliadefield

Post by ameliadefield »

I am not always a quiet person EXCEPT when I am reading or writing. I have two sisters who are introverts and are authors as well. Then there is my brother and my other sister, who are a bit more like me. The loud authors we. ;)
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Quiet? Sure, except when I am more comfortable. Then I get a bit louder! ;)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
icemech04
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-icemech04.html

Post by icemech04 »

As a writer I more like to say I'm situationally quiet; that is, if i'm around friends and such, i'll tend to be more extroverted and outgoing while around strangers, I'll pretty much keep to myself.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I feel like I am getting louder as I get older.

Oh no! I am turning into my mother :shock:
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

Haha no. Well, I guess sometimes when I'm around strangers I'm quiet. But when I'm with anyone I know I talk their ears off until my throat gets sore. And then I talk more. Often about my writing itself. Particularly when I've just finished writing something-then I'll discuss it for hours.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

This is a tricky question. I am definitely an Introvert. I love the slew of books that have come out in the last few years explaining and defending Introverted types, such as the book Quiet, or the book The Highly Sensitive Person.

Still, despite "feeling" like a quiet person, I can still have a big mouth at times. It is VERY hard for me not to jump in, or contribute, during a group discussion. And as a callow youth, I was a loudmouthed show-off. :( However, I don't think these things are "natural" to my personality, if you know what I mean. It comes from the way I was socialized, the family I was raised in. (Which is not to say I'm not responsible for these traits.) To this day I always resolve to keep my big mouth shut during group discussions, and I almost never can.

I do think a disproportionate number of writers (obviously, NOT all of us - apologies to the bubbly contributors above) tend to be deep thinkers who are socially awkward to some degree. I find this to be a paradox. Really great writing is all about shrewd observations of human nature. Indeed, you'll even meet writers who insist that writing is the task of getting down to "life," or "reality," itself. Especially "life" and "reality" about people. How is it possible for a socially awkward person to achieve this, let alone to achieve it better than an extroverted type? I don't know. It ought to be impossible, yet it seems to happen all the time. Take Tolstoy, who could write the amazingly compassionate, spiritual book Anna Karenina ... yet had a famously poisonous relationship with his wife. How can this be? Seems like it ought not to be. I guess writers who are following the inner genius of their story can achieve a wisdom within the narrative, that they haven't yet mastered in real life. It is so much easier to know something, and even portray it in a story, than it is to put it into practice.
jazziemommie
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazziemommie.html
Latest Review: "Noise" by Brett Garcia Rose

Post by jazziemommie »

There's not doubt that I am an introvert and have always been more of a listener than a talker. I'm the quiet one in my family. I seem to have this ability to ask all the right questions that encourage others to spill their guts. Sometimes it's exhausting! Lately I've become more conscious of my communication skills when I'm engaged in conversations. I wish I could add more interesting comments instead of always being the "good listener". The scenario usually goes something like this: I'm having lunch with friends and four of us are seated around a table. We're discussing a current event and so far everyone has contributed to the conversation but me. Then I prepare to add my meaningful two cents. I hesitate, digesting what someone else has just said, and gather my thoughts to make my response. And BAAAAM! Someone else is already filling the air with their words, cutting me right off! It is frustrating to always be interrupted, and sometimes I just give up and keep my mouth shut. I guess that's why I have always enjoyed writing. I have no problem expressing myself in writing.
Latest Review: "Noise" by Brett Garcia Rose
readsalot

Post by readsalot »

I am a quiet person. I generally listen better than I speak, but then again, I'm also a teacher... speaking's part of the day-job.
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

jazziemommie wrote:There's not doubt that I am an introvert and have always been more of a listener than a talker. I'm the quiet one in my family. I seem to have this ability to ask all the right questions that encourage others to spill their guts. Sometimes it's exhausting! Lately I've become more conscious of my communication skills when I'm engaged in conversations. I wish I could add more interesting comments instead of always being the "good listener". The scenario usually goes something like this: I'm having lunch with friends and four of us are seated around a table. We're discussing a current event and so far everyone has contributed to the conversation but me. Then I prepare to add my meaningful two cents. I hesitate, digesting what someone else has just said, and gather my thoughts to make my response. And BAAAAM! Someone else is already filling the air with their words, cutting me right off! It is frustrating to always be interrupted, and sometimes I just give up and keep my mouth shut. I guess that's why I have always enjoyed writing. I have no problem expressing myself in writing.
Oh behalf of fast talkers everywhere, I apologize!
readsalot

Post by readsalot »

Mmm, fast talkers are kind of scary to hold a conversation with.
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Sorry. We can't help it. We were socialized that way, and it can be as difficult for us to slow down as it can be for you to jump in. We do try ... at least I do ... but as soon as I get excited about a topic, I start forgetting.

To make matters worse, when I go back and ask my husband what he was going to say just now, half the time he can't remember. Then I really feel like a heel. I never have that "can't remember" problem!
Chris Dutton
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-dutton.html
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La

Post by Chris Dutton »

I'm antisocial git, but loud when someone forces me into company. I've spent six weeks doing Xmas, walking, spoiling my kids, writing and drinking tea in a lovely old theatre whilst writing. I've not chased company at all. It's been lovely. But put me in company and I'll be the loudest there...
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La

Return to “Writing Discussion”