Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
alex1899
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex1899.html

Re: Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Post by alex1899 »

I'm a pretty quiet person myself.
Toria_Hostler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toria-hostler.html

Post by Toria_Hostler »

I am a pretty quiet person, and I'm really shy for the most part. However, I know this one girl who is as out-going as can be and she is a phenomenal writer.
Johntherobert
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johntherobert.html

Post by Johntherobert »

I feel the best writers don't have anything to say.
PreityB

Post by PreityB »

Hello,

To answer your question, I do not particularly feel that most writers are quite. I feel that those who are outgoing and love to socialize are the ones who can cover wider issues when they write since they talk to people. Like for example , Shakespeare . His plays were critically acclaimed because he wrote it in such a way that the common Elizabethan audience would be able to understand. Now, if he wouldn't even think of doing something had he been a quite person. But I also cannot disagree to the fact that quite people turn out to be keen observers . So, I guess I have covered both sides here.
annareads
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annareads.html
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis

Post by annareads »

I'm not quiet at all; then again I don't consider myself the model of a perfect writer. I'm a complete extrovert, so I thrive on conversation and human contact. I find it gives me things to write about, or at least puts me in an emotional space where I can write with a clearer head. And just to clear something up: more outgoing people don't *exclusively* make small talk. I love a deep intellectual conversation like I love a good book--I just also enjoy talking and singing and laughing as much as I can. :D
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

I am a quiet person, introverted and a deep thinker. I don't think most writers are quiet though, nor do I think most writers are talkative. I think they are varied. They must be since there are so many varieties of books!
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
Booklover97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover97.html

Post by Booklover97 »

I am quiet but not always. "Writing is a profession for introverts who want to tell a story without making eye contact."
clmartz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clmartz.html

Post by clmartz »

I'm quiet until you get to know me: then I'm loud and obnoxious. Just kidding! (I hope)

I'm a bit more on the introverted side, unless I'm at work. Being in customer service, I have to be a little bit more outgoing than I normally would be. It's my comfort zone. Once I'm at home, I like to pretty much lock myself in my room with a book--or if I'm out with some friends (on a rare occasion), I let them do the speaking unless I really HAVE to.

I can't say for sure whether most writer's are more introverted than extroverted--I like to think they're more introverts though.
Naomi
Favorite Author: Anais Nin
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomi.html
fav_author_id: 4414

Post by Naomi »

I'm a big ole introvert to the outside world, but inside I think like an extrovert....not sure that makes sense. I guess I make up for being an introvert with the characters I create, that's what I was trying to get at :)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I'm personally very quiet, and a few of my writer friends (whom I met on the internet) are the same. But I don't think that all writers are quiet. There are probably plenty who are loud and obnoxious (um, that sounded a lot ruder than I intended it to!). In fact, I've come across a few people on this forum (not necessarily this particular thread!) that I would bet money are not quiet in real life. How I can tell this just from reading their posts, I don't know. But I promise you, they are the biggest loudmouths in the world and don't mind letting you know it any chance they can.
Elizabeth Rogers 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-rogers-47.html

Post by Elizabeth Rogers 47 »

In general, I cannot call myself a quiet person. I am known for talking to everybody I encounter, regardless if I know them or if they are part of my group of close friends or acquaintances.

However, I do require times of quiet reflection, and peacefulness in order to think and relax. For this, because of my tendency to compulsively talk to everyone who comes into my line of vision, I get up early in the morning. At least 2 hours before I intend to leave my apartment, and do not turn on either radio or television. I get out my journal and converse with myself.

I enjoy this so much, you'd think I'd learn to be more quiet in the rest of my life.
Brianaporter
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: Beautiful by Amy Reed
Currently Reading: Black Box by Julie Schumacher
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brianaporter.html
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by Brianaporter »

I am usually quiet unless around some of my friends but I'm not shy and will speak up without a problem
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I'm usually both quiet and shy and a deep thinker. I also find a lot of times I can't find anything to talk about that would interest me with people I don't know. I'm quite talkative with my friends, and find it easier to "talk" through writing. I think it's because there's more time to think about what you are going to say and how you are going to say it. But then I'm not an impulsive person either...
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
krobidoux

Post by krobidoux »

I am quiet when I first meet someone, but once I am comfortable around a person I am told I am a big talker.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I tend to be quiet unless I'm with friends or excited. Most of the time this is because I'm thinking things over or observing the world. I feel like a lot of writers have something quiet about them, where they can let thoughts develop into stories.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Return to “Writing Discussion”