Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Green Eyes 36
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: Masque of the Red Death
Currently Reading: Captivated by You
Bookshelf Size: 18
fav_author_id: 4642

Re: Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Post by Green Eyes 36 »

I'm a very quiet person. I always thought it was because of my agoraphobia and social anxiety but it definitely could be because I'm a writer. I know I observe a lot. I watch what's going on around me. I am very shy. I'm definitely more introverted.
Braktooth
Currently Reading: I'm Tired Of Racism
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braktooth.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Braktooth »

It depends on the company I keep. If I'm comfortable with the topics, and the people, I'll open up more. I generally would prefer to find out what other people are like, and what they think though. I usually know what I think about a topic of conversation, I'm not likely to learn much by opening my own mouth.

So I guess, somewhat quiet. I can definitely get lost in my own head. Scary place!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I'm a writer, and I AM NOT A QUIET PERSON. OH MY GOODNESS YOU CANNOT SHUT ME UP. I'M LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS AND UNRULY. DO YOU WANT TO PULL MY FINGER?? NO, REALLY, DO YOU?? LIMITED TIME OFFER!

Sorry. I had a moment. Honestly, you may be onto something... I used to be extremely shy and self-conscious. And then one day I just quit caring what strangers think of me. I do think that there are a lot of characteristics associated with quiet people that could also be associated with authors: shyness, sensitivity, introversion, introspection, perceptiveness, self-consciousness, feeling conspicuous, being cerebral, etc.
desi330
Currently Reading: The Moth Presents All these Wonders
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by desi330 »

I m not quiet. But i feel it varies

-- 19 May 2015, 16:47 --

I m not quiet. But i feel it varies
ChloeNicole
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ChloeNicole »

I'm rather talkative and outgoing but I think that is because I'm a writer with opinions. I find it easy to write about something I'm passionate about and I'm passionate about my opinion. I like to let people know how I feel and my views. Right wrong or indifferent I will tell my opinion in full truth.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

I am a very quite person
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Thesaurus Rex
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesaurus-rex.html

Post by Thesaurus Rex »

I am not a quiet person. I am loud and obnoxious, as my sister likes to tell me.

However, I still managed to write and publish three books so far, with more on the way. I guess that technically makes me a writer.
So while most writers might be quiet, I am not one of them!
avidbookreader
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbookreader.html

Post by avidbookreader »

I would associate with being between, somewhat introvert and extrovert. I like to socialize but tend to keep to myself a lot as well. I find I am more able to express my true feelings through writing.
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

For the most part, I am extremely talkative. It feels like I always have something to say or a story to tell. I also have a very loud voice; I think it's to make up for being so short! I am trying to check myself though, as I know that my big presence can be overwhelming and irritating at times. It's worse when I'm around family and friends.

At other times, I fluctuate between being very outgoing and fading into the background. I like to observe human nature and I'm an awful eavesdropper. I've gotten some good ideas for stories and characters that way. Sometimes these ideas for stories come from a more direct approach, such as starting conversations with strangers. That's when I fall into listening mode. You wouldn't believe the number of people who have spilled out their life stories in the time it takes to take the train to work.
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
zanderlyrose
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanderlyrose.html
Latest Review: "Sweet Sleep" by Kim Cormack
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by zanderlyrose »

I am very quiet. Well, until you get to know me. Sadly I am even shy online in such things as, oh say forums.
Latest Review: "Sweet Sleep" by Kim Cormack
sound_readerrev
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Currently Reading: Cause of Death
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sound-readerrev.html
Latest Review: "Smog City" by Rebecca McNutt
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by sound_readerrev »

Yes, I do believe that most writers a generally quieter than those who don't write. I used to be very locked up and practically allergic to the social life, but now, highschool has made me more outgoing, but I can never measure up to someone who is labeled as "social butterfly," though I am crawling out of my comfort zone more often than ever before. Friends would call me introverted and shy. My voice and hands shake when I have to speak in front of a classroom or someone I don't know very well. I observe and listen and write more than speak.
Latest Review: "Smog City" by Rebecca McNutt
Emmers00
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmers00.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Emmers00 »

I am an outgoing introvert based only on that I love theater, and feel comfortable preforming. But that is because it is purely human emotions to other emotions if I focus on the people watching me I flip out. Around strangers I can be friendly and cordial, but I love my me time and I really am a homebody.
Who being loved, is poor?-Mother Theresa
Wanton_Wordsmith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18985">The Fellowship of the Ring</a>
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanton-wordsmith.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Wanton_Wordsmith »

I can't speak for most people, but I am pretty quiet. Unless I'm with family and friends, then I let the sarcasm fly!
I love making snarky comments on everything. But there may be a grain of truth to what you're writing. Writers tend to be deeper thinkers than most.
Nive_thereader
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nive-thereader.html

Post by Nive_thereader »

I think I am generally a quiet person around strangers but definitely not when I am amidst friends and family members who are close to me.and I also tend to talk to myself a lot and I find myself to be thoughtful during those times.Nice to see that I am not the only weirdo who does that!!
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I definitely perpetuate the stereotype. I'm extremely shy and quiet around people I don't know. In those situations, I either spend time crafting what to say before I actually say it or only speak in short, to the point phrases. I talk to myself a lot and only feel comfortable around people I've known a long time and to whom I have become accustomed.

Return to “Writing Discussion”