Do you Write /Why Do You Write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
scriptbunny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scriptbunny.html
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.

Re: Do you Write /Why Do You Write?

Post by scriptbunny »

Writing, for me, is an outlet. I write when I am exceptionally sad or exceptionally happy. I write when my mind has become so detached from my body that it'd rather wander away in a story than sit still in my head. That said, I don't have strong expectations for my writing. I do not write to be a writer. I do not write because I feel I am exceptionally good at it. Nor do I expect my writing to be read. Instead I write, I think, to understand. It's an investigative process. When I start penning a story I believe I know where my mind's at and then by the end I'm proven completely wrong. Writing let's me lay out my introspection, sometimes harshly, on paper and says, "Hey you can't hide from your thoughts, they're right here, look at 'em!"
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.
Swalka1991
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Night Shift by Nora Roberts
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swalka1991.html
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by Swalka1991 »

I write every single day. It's not always constructive, which can be a problem when you're trying to get a novel out of your head and onto a page, but I do write daily. I do it because I love it, because the characters running in my head have stories to tell, and because I feel obligated to share their stories. It's a lot of hard work, but it's worth every single adjective.
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Post by prarich »

I like to pen down my thoughts from time to time. Is a great stress buster and is good to read later.
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen
Isella

Post by Isella »

I write because I want the world to be a more literate and better place for myself and my kids. I want to foster understanding through my works and it may not change the world, but I'll have done my part to change a perception. Books shaped my world and how I think, I want to do the same for someone else.
W-Harbinger
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-w-harbinger.html
Latest Review: "Branded" by Katie Hamstead

Post by W-Harbinger »

I'm currently trying to write my first fantasy novel. Since I can't have children, I figured what better to leave behind when I'm gone than a world I created with words.
Latest Review: "Branded" by Katie Hamstead
Yukiora 24
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yukiora-24.html
Latest Review: "Redtail" by Jerry a wilkinson

Post by Yukiora 24 »

We write to express the things the mouth cannot fathem!
Latest Review: "Redtail" by Jerry a wilkinson
meryvamp

Post by meryvamp »

I write for my characters. Their stories deserve to be told and shared with others.
jamespoet
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: FAHRENHEIT 451
Currently Reading: THE FOREVER WAR and DANCING AZTECS
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamespoet.html
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by jamespoet »

I write because I enjoy telling stories and writing poems. I have certain speech impediments which don't make me the most articulate speaker, but ssomething happens when I am able to write down my thoughts, and I find that I am able to be articulate and artful (I hope that doesn't sound condescending; I always worry about that). Really, I want to be a professional writer, and somehow make a career out of telling my stories. I don't care about getting rich, but to have people wanting to buy and read and think about my stuff would be great.
The joys of literature transcend the evils of the world. I believe in its miraculious baptism and emotional power of the words trickling down the page. To me, there is no higher artform...
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard
ConorEngelb
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: On Writing
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conorengelb.html
Latest Review: "Secrets of the East" by M. P. Schaefer
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by ConorEngelb »

I write because I enjoy it, and because if I don't the characters and stories natter on in my head and keep me awake at night.
Latest Review: "Secrets of the East" by M. P. Schaefer
Mercedes_Lynne

Post by Mercedes_Lynne »

I write so people listen and understand my way of thinking, so they can get into my head and understand how different I am compared to other mindsets.
MaddBoxx
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddboxx.html

Post by MaddBoxx »

I write, but have not shared much. From poetry to lyrics, half written stories, or half-baked ideas for stories; there is so much to write about. Writing to me has always been extremely therapeutical and helpful with moving on, standing still or just an outlet for a much needed release.
toddwiese
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toddwiese.html

Post by toddwiese »

I used to write, but I lost my motivation. I found myself sitting in Starbucks with a pad of paper or my laptop just staring at the blank page waiting for the inspiration to come and then have nothing happen. It was depressing. I really wish that I could get my muse back. She's left me. Of course, I blog, but I really don't count that as writing. Has this happened to anyone else on the forum? Have you ever lost your muse? How did you get her back?
Kitty85

Post by Kitty85 »

I write because it's stronger than me, it controls me... it's something I cannot help, and like moskolights90 I'd burst if I didn't... and I write in my mind more and more. All these characters and stories live in me and they just need a way out. I do struggle with it... I'm too demanding of myself, I often think nothing i write is good enough but again... a new story will always come out and those long forgotten find a way to get back in. Dreams... news... oh... I can write anything even from a simple spoon... oh here it comes again... a muse that compells me and then leaves me to comeback again when I don't want it to... I am its slave.
hopeingod

Post by hopeingod »

I have written professionally for newspapers and magazines, but now that I will be soon retiring, I plan to write something other than news, feature and industry related articles. If I held to those as a sideline, I could earn extra cash, but I think I'm past thinking about those topics.

A few attempts at short story writing I found to be very rewarding. After submitting one of them to another board, I received applause, which makes me want to continue in that direction, perhaps to end with the completion of a novel written around the events of my life.
Noeld
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noeld.html

Post by Noeld »

I write for fun, and I've done it since I was little. One of my many dreams for life is to become a best-selling author.

Return to “Writing Discussion”