How long have you been writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
AliceRose
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How long have you been writing?

Post by AliceRose »

I consider myself a writer because I do it all the time - I just love to do it and make sure I write something every day. Writing has been my passion ever since I was a child, and my dream is to eventually get something published (other than the poem I had published in the local paper when I was eight!) My goal is to hone the craft and finish a novel - I am only 22 so I have some time to improve.
Kimpaluch
Favorite Author: C. Simak
Favorite Book: Way Station
Currently Reading: Wicked - The Lightening Thief

Post by Kimpaluch »

I've been writing things other than school work since my 4th grade teacher handed me a writing journal and told me I was a writer. :)

I consider myself a writer but don't tell anyone I am because I am insecure with their expectations.

I started because I received encouragement...really I started because I learned to write.
littlebirdyg
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlebirdyg.html

Post by littlebirdyg »

I've been writing since I was in fourth grade (so 2005) and I have yet to stop :)
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

1968-current
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Dietzel
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Dietzel »

I've been writing seriously (working toward specific life goals of getting novel published) for just over 9 years. It sounds like a long time, but it took 2-3 years just to understand the basics of how to write effectively because there's a huge difference between understanding the basics of writing and actually being able to create it yourself. It took another 2-3 years to hone my craft in terms of getting my voice as a writer, being able to make my writing readable, etc. I'm still learning every time I write, but I finally feel like I can write something worthwhile.
CaseyFry

Post by CaseyFry »

Oh, yes. :) I've been writing since I was ten years old and I've been published since October of 2012.

I owe a lot of my writing to Louisa May Alcott. After I read Little Women, I fell in love with the character Jo and wanted to be just like her. That really started it all.
kasmanandapalace

Post by kasmanandapalace »

i am writing from last 1 months
JasonCrawford
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasoncrawford.html

Post by JasonCrawford »

I started writing last October. I have completed two novels and am working on two more. I love it!
DoJoey
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Deaver
Favorite Book: Blindness - Jose Saramago
Currently Reading: Wanderlust-D. Steel. Poison-C. Wooding
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dojoey.html
fav_author_id: 21481

Post by DoJoey »

I've been writing now for over 5 years but it has been quite unsuccessful apart from a couple of crappy short stories, most of which will never be finished!
I find it really difficult to get going or stick to a story but once, in a Creative Writing workshop, my story was one of the few chosen to be published in a book the workshop created at the end of the whole thing. Sadly the editor managed to change my story as well as omit to notify me of this and of the publication in the whole which kinda put me off going to any more workshops....and imagine where I could be now!
dunzee

Post by dunzee »

I now consider myself a writer. I've been writing for 3 years. When I had a business it was always on my mind, even when I went to bed. I would write my book in my imagination; this would take my mind off work and allow me to sleep (no it wasn't because it was boring). When my business failed in 2009 I took the next 12 weeks and wrote Blended Hope. What an incredible experience! I was 60 years old at the time.
AmandaT

Post by AmandaT »

I like to think of myself as a writer. I'm a teacher and I'm always telling my class that they are all writers if they want to be. I started off writing fanfic when I was about fifteen and I'd have to credit X-files and my desire to ship Mulder/Scully as what got me into it. I have written fanfic on and off ever since.
When I was seventeen, I started writing down scenes from stories in my heads to swap with my friends and then slowly turned those scenes into long stories. I've been writing Novel length pieces of work since I was about twenty. I never thought of doing anything with them until I found out that you could self-publish books on Amazon. Put my first book up a few months ago. Don't expect it will ever make me a lot of money but I just like knowing that there are some people who have read my work.
ArmandoP

Post by ArmandoP »

Do you consider yourself a writer?
Yes.

Since I learned how.

What got you started?
I read the Magic Treehouse Books and from there I was unstoppable. I wrote about everything. My early exposure to Rate-R movies and classic literature developed the word hound and absolutely writing fiend I am today.
guys325

Post by guys325 »

do you consider yourself as a writer?
Yes ,definitely
I just started my second month before ı was just writing small stuff that ı didnt know what to do now ım writing a fiction novel
What got you started?
well one day when ı wa ın my bed ı imagined the first chapter of my book and started to outlined ıt ıt happened 2 month s ago
Starric
Favorite Author: Zelazny
Favorite Book: Nine Princes in Amber
Currently Reading: IDA Pro Book
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starric.html
Latest Review: "Built for Impact" by Collins Funsani

Post by Starric »

I've been writing since I was in middle school some few decades ago. Professionally? The last 15 years or so in a technical capacity (manuals, white papers and training materials) and since 2001 for the web and printing.
Latest Review: "Built for Impact" by Collins Funsani
neonight

Post by neonight »

I've been writing forever and just started using sites like figment about two years ago but my writinghas been improving and i have become the class author.

Return to “Writing Discussion”