How long have you been writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
piousbattle73
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piousbattle73.html

Re: How long have you been writing?

Post by piousbattle73 »

I have been writing from I was about 12 years old. I remember writing a short love story that ended sad. I also have over 30 poems that I have written.
david980john
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by david980john »

i am writing from last 3 years and mostly covered topics of war.
Venusian42
Favorite Author: Poe
Favorite Book: The Gambler
Currently Reading: Sadeh
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-venusian42.html

Post by Venusian42 »

Very relevant discussion, for I have never believed that I’d become a writer when I was a child. I have always dreamt about becoming a football player or an actor during my childhood, but when I became 22 years old, my life took a dramatic change. What got me inspired was poetry. It first came in small drops of inspirations, thereupon it evolved with the years and suddenly I have written theatre plays in English, which is not even my language. (I hated English in high school, and I was thrown out of many classes because I was naughty). Thereupon I have written fairy tales, novels, a romance, polemics, satire, philosophical metaphors, and even a law book which I recently published. All in all I have been writing for more than 20 years now. It feels really strange because I have been living in exile for 20 years and my writing was somewhat aligned with my human adventures. My writing feels epic because I still refuse to believe that 20 years have past ever since. I always felt that somebody else, up there, was pulling the strings of my destiny. Karma law is just as solid as a rock, I reckon. I am working on my 900 poems collection right now and hope some day to publish my 1000 poems, as on paper I have written even more than that. I wish to settle down with my writings now and work only on my memoirs. That is how I have found the library of time in the desert. At the moment I am working on polemics, divine inspirations, and poetry. When I was younger I started many science fiction stories but never completed them. I regret it very much these days. It feels like I missed two trains, for I never turned out to be a football player after I broke my leg, and I have never became known because of the transformation of the age. But it was a magnificent journey, nonetheless, mostly in solitude.
Television? No thanks. I have books to read and write in ‘The Library of Time’
colleenmclain
Favorite Author: Carl Haasin
Favorite Book: Skinny Dip
Currently Reading: Key Largo

Post by colleenmclain »

I also started very young as refuge from a stressful childhood. I'd get books from the library and hide in a treefort and read. The books inspired me to write, even though I had no point of reference at that age. I too turned to poetry, and gradually as life experiences came to me, I was able to craft and weave words to keep someone laughing or crying.
wcttech

Post by wcttech »

A. I've been writing forever and just started using sites like figment about two years ago but my writinghas been improving and i have become the class author.
KattPascale
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Letters to Sam
Currently Reading: In A Small Town
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kattpascale.html
Latest Review: "Song of the Mokihana" by TD Matzenik
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by KattPascale »

I've been writing since I was 7 or 8 years old. Started off as little things: a diet guide (yes I was dieting at 7), a parent's how to be better parents type guide, I wrote an article for a local paper about condos and construction taking over nature, and such. It was just something I always did. I still write journals (especially when I was pregnant and the kids were small). But it was only when I was 36 that I put all my best pieces together and self published. Now I've got 9 books out that span from diet and health, to tween drama, to thrillers.

Kat :)
Kat Pascale
Latest Review: "Song of the Mokihana" by TD Matzenik
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

Good question...I guess always really. Even before I could write I was creating cartoon stories. Learning disabilities had me writing and reading later than most, but writing stories helped me learn to read and write better. Then by college I discovered that indescribable feeling of the story writing itself...
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
oliveyou416

Post by oliveyou416 »

I've been writing pretty much ever since I can remember. I would write gibberish before I could read but as soon as I knew how to formulate a sentence, I was writing stories to share with my parents and anyone else who would listen. Over the years, writing has become a part of me. Whenever something monumental happens, my first instinct is to write. As a kid I started out writing fiction -- which was mostly terrible and over the top -- but I loved it anyway. However, as I grew up, I turned to poetry as a creative outlet for the typical teenage emotions. Writing is just in my blood, in my being, and in my soul. It's what I plan to do for the rest of my life.
Yukiora 24
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yukiora-24.html
Latest Review: "Redtail" by Jerry a wilkinson

Post by Yukiora 24 »

I've been writing since 8th grade. I've always been intrested in it, it allows me to express myself.
ConorEngelb
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: On Writing
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conorengelb.html
Latest Review: "Secrets of the East" by M. P. Schaefer
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by ConorEngelb »

When I was in Grade 1, I wrote a story about a man whose house was infested with rats. So yeah, that's 13 years now. I guess the first time I seriously sat down to start writing, it was because I had a lot of ideas and wanted to stop them from bouncing around in my head. So I opened Word and nailed them down onto the screen.
Latest Review: "Secrets of the East" by M. P. Schaefer
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I do consider myself a writer. Writing it all I want to do with myself. I started in sixth grade. Basically what started it was I was really nerdy, had no friends, and all I wanted to do was read. I took my book feels and started writing fanfiction, and then original stories.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
cheshiregator
Favorite Author: Lois Lowry
Favorite Book: A Little Princess and The Giver
Currently Reading: Six Wives
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshiregator.html
fav_author_id: 2653

Post by cheshiregator »

Do you consider yourself a writer? Yes
How long have you been writing? I've been writing fiction since third grade, but I always loved writing (and reading) time in school, even in kindergarten.
What got you started? My first fiction story was the result of pure laziness. We were supposed to be writing what our families do for Thanksgiving, but I accidentally left out the k when I wrote it the first time. Rather than squeeze one in or erase and rewrite the word, I instead made up a story about how my family celebrates "Thansgiving" the day before Thanksgiving every year.
booklover30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover30.html

Post by booklover30 »

I like to think of myself as a novice writer. I started off by writing poetry when I was 13. Mostly because it was a school project but after that forced assignment I found that I actually like it. And so I wrote another and another until I had an entire book. It wasn't until I was around 6 years ago that I actually tried writing short stories with actual characters and plots. I find that I love both and couldn't imagine not ever doing it.
Yukiora 24
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yukiora-24.html

Post by Yukiora 24 »

As soon as I'd reached middle school! So like six years +
R_H_Ali
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-h-ali.html

Post by R_H_Ali »

I think I've always been writing some thing or the other, but I formally began writing my first novel in 2009.

I had an idea and along with that idea came an extreme urge to write it all out.

Return to “Writing Discussion”