How long have you been writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Johntherobert
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johntherobert.html

Re: How long have you been writing?

Post by Johntherobert »

Six months.
BookWorm9876

Post by BookWorm9876 »

Ever since I could write, I was writing stories. And they were long stories. In school, I won the writing contest every single year. I started writing other stories on my dads laptop. I probably wrote like eight. But then the laptop broke and all of my stories got erased. But I am writing some other stories again. I am writing some children books and some fiction novels.
sbcarlisle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbcarlisle.html

Post by sbcarlisle »

I would definitely say I'm a writer. I've been doing it nearly as long as I can remember, and I can't imagine not doing it. I've been writing so long that I don't remember what started me, but I know I used to throw all my toys out of the play pen and sit with my books as a child.
Kzin

Post by Kzin »

'Prox 15 yrs.
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I've been writing since middle school and I do consider myself a writer, as it's what I want to do as a career. I got started when I started reading more than I did before middle school; all that I was reading inspired me to write my own stories.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I guess it all depends on your definition of "writing." I started making picture books with mini-stories when I was 8 years old (I'm 31 now). Short stories (I called them books) at age 10, novellas in junior high school, and my first full-length novel was at age 17. Since then, it's been non-stop writing.
CJDSpencer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjdspencer.html

Post by CJDSpencer »

I have been writing stories or in journals since I was a child. I always did it for myself, never showing anything to anyone. Once I hit college, I had an English professor say to me, quite emphatically, "Mrs. Spencer, you ARE a writer!" So now I still write for myself, and occasionally for others. I've learned that you don't have to actually sell/publish something to consider yourself a writer. (Although actually getting something published DOES give me a nice, warm feeling.) :)
Topaascat

Post by Topaascat »

Let's see, I wrote my first "book" when I was 8...so i've been writing for 20 years
lilbitty87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilbitty87.html

Post by lilbitty87 »

I started writing in second grade. My teacher used to "publish" out stories we wrote and have us present them to the class. I have always loved to write but for some reason I have trouble writing about things that have not happened to me. I wrote a bio In jr high and my friend laminated it and read it all the time. She told me that I should be a writer but to be writing my story was a way to explain to people who I am and why I am me! A few months ago I entered into a cosmo writing contest but it had to be something just totally made up and I wrote the story. It was all over the place so I changed it so many times and started to make it really good but I didnt finish it because my story I made for them could not be told in the small amount of words they wanted it. So as much as I cut it down to try to meet their requirements , I felt that the story wasnt being told.
book_first_love
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-first-love.html

Post by book_first_love »

I write, but am not published yet. Awaiting a chance to do it!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

CJDSpencer wrote:I have been writing stories or in journals since I was a child. I always did it for myself, never showing anything to anyone. Once I hit college, I had an English professor say to me, quite emphatically, "Mrs. Spencer, you ARE a writer!" So now I still write for myself, and occasionally for others. I've learned that you don't have to actually sell/publish something to consider yourself a writer. (Although actually getting something published DOES give me a nice, warm feeling.) :)
Good point about not having to sell something to be considered a writer. It bugs me sometimes when people (even on this site!) brag about themselves being a "real writer" or something of the like, just because they have sold a book. It's an elite, descriptive title, not a job, right? 8)
Wendy 1122

Post by Wendy 1122 »

I have only been seriously writing for the past two months. It never crossed my mind to make it a habit, or that I'd be any good at it. I just knew I loved it and one day realized I should probably do something about that.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Around 15 years or so.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
AliciaC14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliciac14.html

Post by AliciaC14 »

I have always loved the written word and have been writing for myself for as long as I can remember. Over the last two years I have taken on freelance writing and I love what I do it is amazing to research different topics and write what learned. I love reading others work and seeing things through their eyes.

-- 14 Oct 2014, 12:38 --

I have always loved the written word and have been writing for myself for as long as I can remember. Over the last two years I have taken on freelance writing and I love what I do it is amazing to research different topics and write what learned. I love reading others work and seeing things through their eyes.
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

I have loved writing since I was a child, when I would spend many hours creating exciting stories and adventures, both at school and at home. Throughout my teaching career and years of bringing up six children, I rarely managed to write anything resembling fiction, other than Christmas plays and the odd story for morning assembly for my classes. Once I finished teaching, I decided things would change, and I've been writing almost continuously for the last three years. And loving every minute of it.

Return to “Writing Discussion”