Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
taylorgad
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylorgad.html

Re: Do you always use the computer to write?

Post by taylorgad »

I also am much quicker typing than manually hand writing. I find myself typing when I have a sudden influx of thoughts that I want to ensure to get down immediately. I probably do the majority of my writing on the computer, but I do always keep a journal with me. I find writing in a journal more soothing but definitely slower.
Kate_Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kate_Lewis »

When I'm brainstorming ideas, I like to use google docs on my iPad (or iPhone when I need to). However, when I'm trying to think through something, I like to write it down on paper.
joanofarc2015
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Currently Reading: War and Peace
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanofarc2015.html
Latest Review: "Philia and Sophia : The book of love and wisdom" by nikitha hingad

Post by joanofarc2015 »

Computers were accessible to me when I was at least 10 years old but I always wrote with pen and paper....it wasn't until 2014 I really got into typing. I still think pen and paper is the best for creative works. I don't know maybe there's a kind of magic with pen and paper.
But yeah I agree that the computer has a lot of good features for writers like the fact you can keep track of the number of words you can keep up with. :shock:
Latest Review: "Philia and Sophia : The book of love and wisdom" by nikitha hingad
veg_8
Currently Reading: Infected
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veg-8.html

Post by veg_8 »

I definitely write more on the computer than by hand. I don't think my handwriting is very clean, and I am way too slow. I do enjoy cursive handwriting, though, because I think it is much more elegant-looking than print. I also seem to appreciate every letter stroke in cursive than in print, which results in me writing slowly again.
TanyaShh

Post by TanyaShh »

Personally, I do prefer writing on a paper - Classic! But most of the times I must meet deadlines so I use the computer. Oh, I also choose writing on a paper when I experience problems in how and what to write about.
TCC Edwards
Currently Reading: The Punch Escrow
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcc-edwards.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by TCC Edwards »

I have this weird mental block about using anything but a computer. I don't feel like I'm "working" unless I use a computer. My penmanship skills have really suffered because of this!

The funny thing is, when my wife sees me on the computer, she's wondering if I'm writing, gaming, or surfing. She's more likely to ask me something while I'm on the computer, since I may not actually be working. If I break out the pen and paper, she *knows* I'm working!
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

I carry a notebook around with me in case I have an idea about a story and I don't have my computer. It's easier than trying to type notes on my phone, my laptop is too clunky to really carry around. I will write down story ideas, character ideas and doodle out scenes from my story. I prefer my note book to my computer in that regard.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
fikekomala
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fikekomala.html

Post by fikekomala »

I think it's more exciting to write by hand in a journal.
jacobadams

Post by jacobadams »

Yeah, but I think I've been convinced to use a notebook...
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html

Post by aparsons »

I have notebooks lying around near my bed so I can write down my dreams. My novel idea I'm working on started with a crystal clear dream I had years ago. I write in a weird mishmash of cursive and print when I write quickly, sometimes to the point I can't read my handwriting once I'm done. Does anyone have common typing errors they make?
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
mswrtr
Currently Reading: The Trip to Echo Spring
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by mswrtr »

I use my laptop when my ideas are flowing faster then I can write them long-hand. However, if I am just posting quick notes, story ideas, quotes, etc., I switch to writing them down on my journal.
Xander_22
Currently Reading: The Brothers Karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xander-22.html

Post by Xander_22 »

I write my ideas down in several of my journals. Pre-writing and jotting down random ideas that come to me are easier written by hand, than on my computer. Plus I can also look at my piece of paper that I wrote on while I'm writing the actual story on my computer.
HereWeGo

Post by HereWeGo »

I used to write a lot by hand but my handwriting worsens when I continually go at it. I start cramping up. On a computer I can write for hours, uninterrupted and it's all legible and easily edited. Writing by hand just seems like an extra step these days. However, if I'm out of the house and without my phone to make notes in, I still have a little notebook I keep on hand for those random bursts of inspiration.
Raven Potter
Currently Reading: The 5th Wave
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raven-potter.html

Post by Raven Potter »

Normally I write it all down and edit it with pencil and eraser first, the if I decide its a keeper I will type it up later. Sometimes. however I will do the opposite. It all depends on where I am, what I'm doing, and what I have readily available. Ex: at school I write because I don't have a computer, but at home I usually type because it is much more convenient :P
NekoLymar

Post by NekoLymar »

Typing seems better than writing it all down. My hand doesn't feel like it's going to fall off. I also love having spellchecker.

-- 30 Mar 2016, 16:20 --

Typing seems better than writing it all down. My hand doesn't feel like it's going to fall off. I also love having spellchecker.

Return to “Writing Discussion”