Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
karanmehra
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you always use the computer to write?

Post by karanmehra »

i like writing mostly in notebook....
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

I prefer writing on a paper. That way, I don't get distracted.
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
bethdearie
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethdearie.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by bethdearie »

I prefer writing in a notebook and then transferring everything to a computer so I can share it on a website I often visit.
leaparker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leaparker.html

Post by leaparker »

I tend to do writing on the computer but will often brainstorm and storyboard on paper. Paper lets me jot things down free-form more easily than the computer does. I can play with more ideas on paper, then when I am ready to really work on a scene I go to the computer. Sometimes I never look at what I wrote on paper again, all I needed it for was the process of doodling it down.
darkfae2317
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander Series
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkfae2317.html
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by darkfae2317 »

I've almost always written on paper. I find that when writing and I need to use a word processor I end up staring at a blank "page". So now I''ll get my ideas or story down on paper, then type it up and clean it up in my word processor. I think if I had to solely type, I would get writers block.
Johntherobert
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johntherobert.html

Post by Johntherobert »

I love the notes section in my iPod.
BookWorm9876

Post by BookWorm9876 »

I use a computer most of the time, but sometimes write with a pencil and paper.

-- 04 Aug 2014, 17:11 --

I use a computer most of the time, but sometimes write with a pencil and paper.
sbcarlisle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbcarlisle.html

Post by sbcarlisle »

I do a pretty healthy mix of writing by hand and writing on the computer. I just recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 2014, and with the S-Pen, I can write by hand and have it automatically convert to typed text. It was expensive, but for me, that feature alone makes it entirely worth it.
pjericks

Post by pjericks »

Absolutely. I never could read my own handwriting and neither can anyone else. I can't imagine writing by hand. It takes too much time, and how about editing and rewrites? If there were no computers I probably would have to use a dictating machine and hire a transcriptionist to type it. Ugh!
Booklover97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover97.html

Post by Booklover97 »

Not always. I love writing with a pen. But I prefer the computer. Because it is easier and faster.
krobidoux

Post by krobidoux »

I write on my computer, but also with pen and paper. The computer is a lot neater than my writing, but sometimes I just feel the need to actually write my story.
literati_reviews

Post by literati_reviews »

Although typing certainly saves deciphering illegible handwriting like mine, I find that writing by hand is somehow more connected to the subconscious and creative flow. Ideas seem less "packaged" on the yellow legal tablets, whereas computer writing - because it seems more "official" - for me, has an effect on style, which becomes more analytical.

Of course, for article production, I use the computer for speed in turning out various drafts and saving countless hours.
Naomi
Favorite Author: Anais Nin
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomi.html
fav_author_id: 4414

Post by Naomi »

No, I have a notebook full of my messy ideas and writing, I always write out story ideas and do brainstorming in my notebook.

I also find that there are times I would rather be sitting outside enjoying the sun than inside stuck at a computer, so I love having a notebook to take with me and write in.
leanndaniel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leanndaniel.html

Post by leanndaniel »

I almost always type. My wrists are terrible and my handwriting isn't the best, so I type a lot better than I write. It goes a lot faster for me that way.
CharlotteWolf
Favorite Author: jessica shirvington
Favorite Book: Between the Lives
Currently Reading: Love by Numbers
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlottewolf.html
fav_author_id: 8661

Post by CharlotteWolf »

Though writing on the computer is much less time consuming and easier, I've found that I receive better results when I write it out my hand, seeing as my mind can process my story much more in depth than on the computer. When I'm typing, it's like my hands are going a hundred miles per hour but my actual thought process can only handle so much. Whereas if I'm manually writing it, my hand and thought process are in sync.

Return to “Writing Discussion”