Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Lilypad
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilypad.html

Re: Do you always use the computer to write?

Post by Lilypad »

Never, always through pencil, crativity works better that way! Its prooven.
ursellb

Post by ursellb »

I write everything on the computer and I write it down on paper so I have a copy on hand. I like to keep
a paper copy of what I write. I write on the computer first then write it down.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Learning to "free flow" directly onto a computer is a learned skill but one I highly recommend learning. As someone begins to write professionally (for money or at least for "legit" publication) you simply won't have time to first write on paper then transmute to electronic.

My strong recommendation for those who aspire to write for actual publication -- money or not -- to train yourself to use the computer first and wean yourself from paper. In the long run it will be of great benefit, as you simply won't have time to do manuscript then copy to computer.

The idea that handwriting "allows creativity" is a hangup and in truth has no merit -- you can be just as creative at the keyboard, and when you learn that skill, you'll never go back.

ps. It's "college" not "collage".
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
TaWo98

Post by TaWo98 »

I always use my computer when writing because I am simply one of those people who was cursed with messy handwriting and horrible setting. Sometimes I wonder how I can write. It is very sad really, but i am completely and utterly dependent on my lovely keyboard. :D :(
hughesj
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hughesj.html

Post by hughesj »

Most of the time, yes. It's quicker. I enjoy writing by hand, but it is just not a good way of writing if I want to share stuff
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

TaWo98 wrote:I always use my computer when writing because I am simply one of those people who was cursed with messy handwriting and horrible setting. Sometimes I wonder how I can write. It is very sad really, but i am completely and utterly dependent on my lovely keyboard. :D :(
Myself the same. I'd often spend wasted minutes trying to decipher my own cribbed manuscript. And if I take time to write legibly, it's soon dawn.

I've repeatedly said this in the thread: Those who use manuscript and then transcribe to computer are essentially wasting valuable writing and creative hours to no avail. Teach yourself to use the computer initially and you'll never go back to the old ways. Quill pen on parchment is also unnecessary.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
davi_dobson

Post by davi_dobson »

Not really. When inspiration strikes, I have to make the most of whatever is closest at hand. I have been known to scribble on newspapers, magazines, log notes on my iPhone and, of course, put pen to paper the old fashioned way. I haven't done voice notes yet, but knowing myself that is not totally outside of the realm of possibility!
alex_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex.html

Post by alex_ »

Most of the time I do because its more convenient.
Sciadoe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sciadoe.html

Post by Sciadoe »

I do try to always use my computer to write now because it gives me the ability to write with the speed that I think of what needs to be written. Hand writing is fine but I'm not very fast at it and I feel like somehow I lose a lot of the substance of what I'm trying to write.
9bit
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: 1984
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by 9bit »

When I sit down to be serious about it I'll always choose the computer. My handwriting isn't necessarily messy, but it is slower than typing. And I do get cramps when I write on paper. But if I gotta get an idea down, yeah I'll use whatever I can.

I have a laptop station specifically set up for "productivity." I think it helps to separate it from my main desktop computer, which I use to play games and browse the internet. Only using the laptop when I want to get work done helps me avoid falling into the trap of procrastination.
Phlo

Post by Phlo »

Always!
I sometimes wonder if I would have ever written long hand.
novemberdays14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novemberdays14.html

Post by novemberdays14 »

I don't actually. It's the easiest way for me to write but I like plotting and planning on paper. I also like recording my thoughts out loud and then typing them later. Although that method hasn't worked the best for me.
okayLexi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okaylexi.html

Post by okayLexi »

The only time I write on the computer is when it requires the use of one. For example, term papers, review responses, forum posts, etc. I enjoy writing by hand and find it more freeing perhaps. I do sometimes feel as though my hand doesn't move as quickly as my mind which creates difficulty getting every ounce of detail down on paper.
thenameisZelda
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thenameiszelda.html
Latest Review: "Asian Recipes" by Muhammad saleem malik

Post by thenameisZelda »

I wish I could sit and write, but my thoughts happen so fast sometimes that the best way to catch them all is on a computer. I think I switch between the two most of the time.
Latest Review: "Asian Recipes" by Muhammad saleem malik
Ncuffee21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ncuffee21.html

Post by Ncuffee21 »

I used to write all the time until I found the joy of electronics. I have currently been switching from writing it on paper, using the computer or a word program on my phone whichever is more convenient.

Return to “Writing Discussion”