Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Chrislock
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrislock.html
Latest Review: "Great Lakes" by Lilly Kirckof

Re: Do you always use the computer to write?

Post by Chrislock »

I really struggle to write by typing. I just find the ideas don't flow as well. So I usually write everything out by hand and then settle into the painful process of typing it up. The good thing about this is that it ensures I proofread and edit my writing multiple times.
Latest Review: "Great Lakes" by Lilly Kirckof
Christine_B
Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-b.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Christine_B »

I usually type on the computer unless i'm away from home or don't have my laptop then I write everything by hand in a notebook I have. I enjoy retyping things I've written by hand onto the computer.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Clayton Williamson

Post by Clayton Williamson »

Give me a legal pad and a pen and I'm set. Writing by hand calms my inner critic, as it feels less permanent, therefore it isn't a big deal if what I write isn't all that great. My first drafts are always messy and full of scratched out corrections, but they're always a solid foundation from which to build from.
cpullano
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpullano.html

Post by cpullano »

I flip flop between the 2. I prefer typing because writing by hand takes too long, and I'll lose my train of thought. However, I find that the ideas flow to me better when I sit down with a notebook than when I sit down with my computer. So I usually start at my notebook and move to the computer once the ideas start moving too fast or my hand cramps.
CallMeMissEllis
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-callmemissellis.html

Post by CallMeMissEllis »

I like to use the computer because my handwriting is a mess!! However some of my best scene work has been handwritten, I like writing emotional scenes on paper!!

-- 12 Dec 2015, 11:17 --

I like to use the computer because my handwriting is a mess!! However some of my best scene work has been handwritten, I like writing emotional scenes on paper!!
mitchwaldman
Currently Reading: Camden Blues
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by mitchwaldman »

Usually, yes, but sometimes when I print a story out and read it on paper I catch more errors.
Belleofbooks
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belleofbooks.html

Post by Belleofbooks »

Hello :)
I find that I get my ideas out best on paper, but piece them together best when typing. So much goes through my head as I brainstorm that the paper onto which I write becomes a complete mess with scribbles and arrows. Typing out what I have written is my way of making sense of what my mind has dumped in ink onto my paper.
sablefalls
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sablefalls.html

Post by sablefalls »

Once the computer was my chosen method of writing but lately when I sit in front of the screen I tend to draw a blank. I have resorted to either using paper or since inspiration hits when I am out, I jot down bits in the memo section on my phone. Some use voice recorders but I find I am too shy to do that even if it is just me in the car or wherever. Go with what is best for you and you may find it changes depending on your mood and situation.
Pectabyte

Post by Pectabyte »

I often narrate ideas into Voice Memo on my iPhone then play it back and write it down in Google Docs. I've also been known to make editing changes on the fly on my phone whenever im on a bus or in a waiting room.
Hatter
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatter.html

Post by Hatter »

I write the words to my stories by typing, but the character sheets and soul of them are done with pencil and paper.
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Post by doyle5 »

I can type a lot faster then I can write. When the idea's start flowing, I want to write them down as quickly as possible before I lose any of it. Then I go back and fill in the details that make it worth reading.
KateNox
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katenox.html
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer

Post by KateNox »

I aaalways type, always. I would write something down only if I'm like in the middle of the street and I had an epiphany concerning my book :D It's just way easier for me, I type faster than I write, so when the rhythm kicks in, I simply have to type it down.
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer
jamesroy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesroy.html

Post by jamesroy »

Being mostly nonfiction, writing becomes rather easy on a computer as reference material is available in plenty and with quick access.
pjswink
Favorite Author: John the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pjswink.html

Post by pjswink »

I started writing before the computer was an option. I realized this was double work once computers were available - writing out longhand and then typing it into a program. But most early programs did not seem creatively friendly to me. I tried to journal directly to the blank screen a few times - and it just stared back at me.

Then in 2011 I slipped on ice and launched down a flight of stairs. I lost some abilities due to the MTBI, one of those was getting sentences from my hand to a page. This was very upsetting, if you can imagine. However, over time and with much effort I have been blessed to regain most of my abilities. However, during the rehab process I relearned how to write via the computer. So now I journal by typing, keeping my notepad close and doodle pictures and jot short notes. Once in a while if I am caught away from technology, which is seldom these days, I will scratch/sketch out a quick idea on paper....but it is no longer the same.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I'm continuing a story that I started a few years ago. Luckily I still have the document electronically saved and a hard copy, so it was easy to get back into it.

But, at this point in my very early writing stage, I like to type on my laptop. It's easy for me to go back and edit. I also enjoy it more than physically writing.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Writing Discussion”