Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
authorrustynugent
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9452">Star Wars Return of the jedi</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: Do you always use the computer to write?

Post by authorrustynugent »

I hand write all my stories the basic idea. When I type it up on my iMac I add more story and make it better and then I edit the chapter after I write it. So, I don't need to edit too much when I am done with my novel. (^_^) Keep on writing!
Z0_happy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Z0_happy »

I first write by hand. Then I type it. Which has been a great way for me to proofread and make changes.
pixieled
Currently Reading: Hohenstein
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixieled.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by pixieled »

I'm fast at typing. Not so by hand. But, I do both depending on what I feel like that day. I'd say I type more than hand write. I don't always use the computer when I type though. If I'm outside and want to type, I use my Neo. It's quick, lightweight, and I don't have to worry about anyone looking at my screen either.
skylarharkless
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skylarharkless.html

Post by skylarharkless »

No, I always write on my computer. I only ever write on paper when my computer is not nearby (I am out of town or not home, etc). I take a notebook in case of an idea. YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN INSPIRATION WILL HIT. And when it does, be prepared, because like one of my favorite authors has said (Cassandra Clare of TMI), those are only fleeting moments. We make our own inspirations. But that is besides the point. I always use my computer if I can help it.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Linda wrote:i mean to write on the computer but when i write i'm usually not infront of my computer so now i have tons and tons of notebooks all filled or half filled with work. i actually prefer writing by hand...and for some strange reason i love buying notebooks so i might as well fill them. It's a little difficult when one story idea is spread throughout 4 or 5 different notebooks but it's good to re-read what i wrote previously in an attempt to find something i had written in the past.
oh and everything I write I do by hand unless I know I'll have to submit it to a teacher later and they'll need a printed copy.

i like seeing cross outs and original ideas and then being able to also see the final product and how different it is.
I am the same way. I always tend to write by hand and have notebooks all over the place. I do transfer them to the computer after a while and end up getting rid of a few notebooks when I run out of room. I love having a new notebook in my hand and try to figure out how I can fill it with stories or poems.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
skcasta+
Favorite Author: Victor Hugo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2926">All the Light We Cannot See</a>
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skcasta.html
fav_author_id: 3006

Post by skcasta+ »

I have always written in notebooks. I can think better. I love the feel of paper and seeing the lines fill up with words. I never get writer's cramp since I am so used to holding a pen. I only use a computer to put everything into WORD format so that I'll have a print copy. I edit on the computer. I never edit my work when I'm writing on paper, only a misspelled word, and even then I just keep on going. If I stop to cross out things, it would stop the flow and inspiration. This is creative writing. If I have to write something such as a business document or non-fiction, I can use the computer.
hyrumseries
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyrumseries.html

Post by hyrumseries »

I have notebooks, scrap paper, my notepad on my phone--all full of either story ideas, outlines, or rough drafts. Sometimes it's because my computer isn't around or the location doesn't allow for certain things. It does make me crazy sometimes because I have one thing written one place and the follow-up in Cleveland. However, when I do finally sit down to type it up I've found it gives me a fantastic new perspective, new ideas, and even a jump-start on the editing process.
Abigail-Smith95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-smith95.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Abigail-Smith95 »

I love notebooks. I use them for writing the draft and then I copy it up on the computer and elaborate what has been already written by hand. I love both ways, but it's neater and easier to edit on computer, not forgetting spell check.
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

When I write long pieces that I would like to edit them but when I write essays and articles I prefer to use pen and paper.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
webworkz7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-webworkz7.html

Post by webworkz7 »

My answer to this question is not all the time. I can say that I have been addicted to my laptop but there are times that I don't feel like using it for my writing projects. During those boring moments, I try switching my writng tasks and putting ideas into words using the traditional paper and pencil. This works fine even while having writer's block. Ideas flow smoothly and you feel naturally creative.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I usually write my actual story on the computer unless I don't have access to it and I thought of something to write. Then I keep a notebook and pen with me. Otherwise all my story and character outlines I write down in a notebook. I recently found a workbook to help organize all that stuff. I can't wait for it to come in the mail. :)
Writer4God
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Refuge At Highland Hall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer4god.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Writer4God »

I do both. I suppose most of my writing happens on the computer, but sometimes when I get stuck or haven't written in a while I find that writing in a notebook helps me break out of that. My thoughts flow a little more freely when I write by hand and there aren't any distractions like the internet when writing in a notebook. ;) If it's a nice day I'll sit outside and do my writing in a notebook, because my laptop is old and can't survive on battery alone anymore. Overall I find that I have done both good and bad writing whether it's on the computer or in a notebook, but one nice thing about writing by hand is that I'll later type it out onto the computer and then I can fix any mistakes or do editing as I'm copying it down.
taniaorellana
Currently Reading: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taniaorellana.html

Post by taniaorellana »

If I put some thought on what I'm doing: I write by hand when I get an idea and I plan it all out. When I have some drafts, I shape the whole thing in a computer, then just end it there.

If I feel a brainstorm coming: I just grab my computer (laptop/phone/tablet -really, whatever comes first) and start.

It's more like I get a feeling inside my chest that tells me what I should grab, haha. :D
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

I've written stories on both, paper and laptops. I've found typing stories to be easier, making it simpler to go back and edit my story. The only negative thing are the spellings. When a flow of thoughts is on and I'm typing really fast, I can't keep looking at the screen to see if I typed the word correctly. And when I go back to check any spelling mistakes or typos, some words are spelt so wrong I can't tell what I had meant to write in the beginning! -Zaynab
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
MarkMueller
Favorite Author: Michael Connelly
Currently Reading: I Capture the Castle
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markmueller.html
fav_author_id: 3897

Post by MarkMueller »

When I was in high school, computers were just starting to come into schools. Still, we all learned to type on manual typewriters. I became accustomed to writing out everything longhand before typing up what would become my second draft. It took me until about 10 years ago to get accustomed to give up writing longhand and use the computer for everything. I'm glad I did. :D

Return to “Writing Discussion”