Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: Do you always use the computer to write?

Post by Jesska6029 »

I never write my books on the computer first. I go with the "old fashion" method. I use a pen and paper. I really like the feeling of actually writing with a pen. I have spent many hours staring at a computer screen feeling like I had nothing to say. I figured out in college I definitely need to hand write all of my thoughts first.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
Ian63
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ian63 »

usually I like to write on PC...
mfontneaux

Post by mfontneaux »

I always outline with pen and paper. Then I transfer it to Scrivener and create my book structure. From there, I usually write only on the computer.

Of course, then I have to print it out and edit it on paper. It's just easier to catch my mistakes than trying to read it on the screen.
s_curley
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-curley.html

Post by s_curley »

I leave my computer at home and so if a thought or opportunity arises where I want to write I just do it by hand. I keep at least 2 notebooks in my purse at a time just for this reason.
KingOfTheAce
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingoftheace.html

Post by KingOfTheAce »

Most of the time I use my computer to write my stories. It is easier to correct your mistakes and spelling gets checked automatically. Only when I have idea's at random times, when I am walking the dog or something, I write it down on paper.
rustyminar
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by rustyminar »

I never do, except my final draft. I focus and concentrate better with a pen and paper.
sdavaloz88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdavaloz88.html

Post by sdavaloz88 »

Paper. I'm a quick typer, and at work I type everything I need, but for notes/ideas/to do lists it flows better on paper for me
Drew-MW
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Currently Reading: The Cross of Christ
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drew-mw.html
Latest Review: "Southern Fried Fiction" by Stuart Hotchkiss

Post by Drew-MW »

After reading some of the above posts, I certainly don't think that I am unique in this. But, typically I start with pen and paper in order to outline/jot different ideas down. Once these have been explored I start typing out rough drafts, I feel that having this information listed in an electronic format helps with ease of editing. Of course, the final draft is done completely through typing.
Latest Review: "Southern Fried Fiction" by Stuart Hotchkiss
Wanton_Wordsmith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18985">The Fellowship of the Ring</a>
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanton-wordsmith.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Wanton_Wordsmith »

I am a Literary Luddite. When I write something, I usually write it out longhand, then transcribe it using a Brother typewriter (that I bought at a Salvation Army for five bucks. Ribbons were fifteen bucks, but I got three of them). Then after several rounds of editing, I finally type the M.F. into Word and save it on a flash drive, then take it to the local library to print out. Printing the stuff at the library is always cheaper than printing at home, for some reason. Livin' La Vida Luddite!
Aaliyahlove
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaliyahlove.html

Post by Aaliyahlove »

No I like the old fashion pen and paper. I will use the computer once I am done with the writing process. I am a journal writer so I write anyway. I have recently started an online diary.
toonenthusiast
Favorite Author: Janet Fitch
Currently Reading: The Bell Jar
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toonenthusiast.html
Latest Review: "Remains" by Belle Antoinette
fav_author_id: 3223

Post by toonenthusiast »

Wouldn't be able to write without my computer. I write wayyyy too slow to keep up with everything that comes to mind.
Latest Review: "Remains" by Belle Antoinette
Cybersplash

Post by Cybersplash »

I can write by computer. I am a better at typing than pencil and pad. I agree with that you have spellchecker, it helps a lot. I have some stuff on my paper, but I never finish it. That's why I usually write it on Word Doc. It's better focus and has way more advantages than the older fashion. It's also having better organization. Most of the time I am on laptop when writing.
Shelobstrosity

Post by Shelobstrosity »

The only time I didn't use the computer to write was when I used my great grandfather's typewriter.
portia-shakespeare
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by portia-shakespeare »

i always start by hand as i do most of my writing at school but i always type it up after even if it takes ages. i have recently tried to do it all on my laptop but some habits are hard to break
jen_the_hen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-the-hen.html

Post by jen_the_hen »

For me its harder to get my thoughts together on paper, although I do find it more enjoyable when I get an idea to fill up some pages in a notebook.

Return to “Writing Discussion”