Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
booksandlatte
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksandlatte.html

Re: Do you always use the computer to write?

Post by booksandlatte »

I write longhand first with pen and paper and then I type it up on the computer when I'm done. I do this chapter by chapter because for me writing is a creative (right brain) process and the feeling of pen to paper allows my creativity to flow in a way that typing doesn't. For me typing is an analytical (left brain) process and no matter how hard I try I can't "create" while typing, it just doesn't work. So I carry mini yellow pads and a hand full of pens with me everywhere I go. I have entire collections of notebooks dedicated to different stories and book ideas. The writer's area of my office is a seriously organized mess...lol.
MaryB
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryb.html

Post by MaryB »

I prefer to use paper and pen to get my ideas down, and then will transfer it to the computer. I have a hard time keeping track of where my brain is going with a story if I am typing at the same time.
Alden Loveshade
Favorite Author: Whoever I am reading

Post by Alden Loveshade »

I always carry a pen in my front pocket and a small notepad in my back pocket for writing down things that pop into my head. Later I transfer them to computer. But I do the vast majority of my writing on computer.
love2read4+ever

Post by love2read4+ever »

I can type faster than I write and so I always use the computer when I write my manuscripts. It just seems if you write with pen and paper you have to do the whole thing over again with a computer.
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I always use my computer unless I don't have it with me. It's just so much faster, easier, and neater to writer on the computer. Not to mention how much easier it makes editing.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I love the "feel" of writing by hand, but typing is just so much faster. I prefer to use my computer (laptop), but these days I do most of my writing while I am away from home, and it's a pain carrying my laptop with me. So I've been using my tablet for writing a lot, which is slower, but I use autofill and that makes it a little faster.
onourporch
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onourporch.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Publishing Contest Votes: 10

Post by onourporch »

I am trying to switch over to using the computer at all times. It's much faster and your can edit in seconds. I find it difficult to use the computer when I need to make notes about research I am doing via the internet. I need to jot everything down on paper so I can cross them off my list as I write about them. So I guess I use both methods. I also like to write scavenger hunt clues. I don't get as many ideas when I use the computer compared to using an old-fashioned pencil and paper.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
CloudedRune
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudedrune.html
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by María Escobedo Cubas

Post by CloudedRune »

I mostly use the computer when I am at home, but when I'm travelling on public transport I'll often end up writing in notebooks or revision cards (I got used to carrying a blank set around with me all the time when I was doing my A levels - I still do it even now because they are really handy for when I need to write multiple ideas down and organize them quickly), whether it is just a few notes or more.
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by María Escobedo Cubas
lisateb
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisateb.html
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig

Post by lisateb »

This is something I have struggled with a lot. I very much enjoy the ease of computers, but there is something about putting a pen to paper that feels so alive. There is a pulse that just can't be compared to by using a keyboard.
"Why understand when you can believe?" Christopher Moore, Coyote Blue
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I'm not a "computer" person so I'm more comfortable writing rather than typing. I like to be comfortable when I write so I find a comfortable spot to sit and I think I think better that way. I love that there are computers now though because when it comes time to organize all the notes and writings and get them into book form it's so nice to be able to just pull a couple paragraphs from there and bring them to wherever I want them rather than have arrows everywhere and to have my spelling checked and lots of things like that that a computer can do for you.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

I used to write in notebooks, I even included little drawings and such. Now I just use my computer. It's not the same and I can't include my drawings without harder work, but it's more efficient, private and faster. :mrgreen:
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
Toritho
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toritho.html

Post by Toritho »

There is something about putting a pen to paper that I just love. Yes, typing is faster, but that also means when I'm writing with a pen, I have more time to think about what I'm writing. After I write it out by hand, then I'll type it and edit as I go. It's much easier to edit when you know you're going through every single word again.
SCTurner

Post by SCTurner »

It seems so much easier to start out with paper and pencil. I don't know if it is the feel or what but with paper, I can just let the ideas flow out. With a computer I am tempted to edit as I go which would interrupt my creative process. After the first draft I would go to the computer to expand what I write. So much better that way.
SwagolaCola
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swagolacola.html

Post by SwagolaCola »

I usually write a lot in school, since I'm a loner, so I usually just write by hand. Whenever I get the chance, I prefer to write on a computer, because it's more efficient, and I can get my thoughts down faster. I also type really fast, so I like how I sound so professional whenever I'm using my computer to write. Overall, it all depends on how I feel that day, and what resources are available. Sometimes I'll want to write by hand, and sometimes I'll type using my phone, computer, or whatever I have on hand.
MaryMathis

Post by MaryMathis »

Terri2 wrote:I can't write well by hand, but I can type fast, and of course typing comes out neat and clean. Plus, I have spell-checker. So, I usually write everything on the computer. Do you do that? Or, do you write some thing by hand? What do you by hand, if you do?
Yeah, me too. I also prefer to write with my hands because I can't type fast. I even can't read fast on the computer. I also prefer books more than online reading.

Return to “Writing Discussion”