Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
shinjiblue
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinjiblue.html
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise

Re: Do you always use the computer to write?

Post by shinjiblue »

I'll jot ideas and make notes or outlines on paper but when I sit down to write, it's always on a computer. I type much faster than I can write by hand; it's the only way I've found to keep up with the flow of words when the story is ready to come out.
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise
True_Reader4Life
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by True_Reader4Life »

Generally I write by computer... I type super fast! But there are times where I just need to get a pen and some paper and have at it. Sometimes it just makes me feel a little better to write things out; but after it's written I type it up.
hopeingod

Post by hopeingod »

Almost everything I write is typed these days. Ideas, however, are often handwritten in one of the two small tablets I carry in my top pocket every day.
nadansheryl

Post by nadansheryl »

I use a computer after I have made a draft on paper first, I go the real old-fashioned way!
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I'm an old timer, learned to type in high school on manual Underwoods (only male in the class), this was in the 50s, when females all took typing so they could become secretaries. But learning to type was one of the few helpful things I did learn in HS.

Later of course I did all my writing on a portable that served me through college. And then, working for a newspaper, back to the big old Underwood.

I however worked on computers early, in chemical research (I was a chem major and English lit major, go figure), and began to use computers for writing pretty quickly.

Boy, do I love my laptop!! When I write a chapter of my novels (2 published, 3rd in progress) I'll write "Ch 4a" and save it, then if I want to make revisions, it gets saved as "Ch 4b" then "Ch 4c" and so on. That way I'll have maybe 3-4 versions of a dialogue or plot sequence, all similar but different, and later I can pick and choose among them to create the "final" version, ha ha. I laugh at "final" because I'm never finished making revisions until the book goes to print.

Anyway, I'm a fast typist and write so much more freely with a computer. Plus I've got a badly warped manuscript style, so awful that sometimes I can't decipher what I've written down on a notepad!
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."

Post by avatarofrozein »

I like to do a rough draft on paper then type it up so I always have two copies of it, and since my laptop always stays home ( I lose things very easily) it's nice to have something I can take with me. I have a whole drawer full of writing notebooks, with each one dedicated to a different story idea.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I used to keep notebooks as you do, avatar, but eventually I got away from that and transitioned to all digital. Now, everything is in folders and files on my laptop (and, of course, backed up regularly).

Consider the publishing business. Everything's on computers now. Agents and editors for the most part don't even accept manuscripts. So I think it's probably best to move to computers for everything.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
WriterBLAlley

Post by WriterBLAlley »

I always write on the computer, but will take notes by hand or with a voice recorder app on my phone. I write too poorly and slow (and cramp easily) to write by hand. My first novel, Arbor Day, ended up at 130k for the first draft. My hand would have fallen off! Sometimes I can't even read my own notes and have to start again.
dina77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dina77.html

Post by dina77 »

If I have the computer to hand then I will use that as my writing is shockingly bad but I always have a notepad in my bag so if I feel the compulsion to jot anything down I can :)
agaffke000

Post by agaffke000 »

I like typing.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Mostly yes, I type faster.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
book_pig
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-pig.html

Post by book_pig »

Hi:) I type fast as well so I like writing on a computer, but something about sitting down in front of a screen feels to official to me, like there's more pressure? Maybe that's stupid, but I feel a lot less pressured when I write in a notebook, and more creative!
casper
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casper.html
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons

Post by casper »

I always use my laptop to write. I love the way I can change things and move stuff around - much easier than writing it out by hand each time. However, I do use pen and paper to make notes and jot down ideas when I'm not near a computer. Trouble is my handwriting's getting so bad I often have problems deciphering it.
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons
subzerowon
Favorite Author: Tolkien_ Koontz_ect
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Black Arrow
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-subzerowon.html
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods

Post by subzerowon »

I use paper until I can get to my computer, I like to write poetry and I'm usually not at home when I think of one.
subzerowon
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods
judysh
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judysh.html

Post by judysh »

I do use the computer for writing, but in a recent TV news interview about computers in the classroom, the journalist asked a girl in Grade 8 if she can write (with a pen on paper), and she replied that her mother was teaching her at home. I think that there may be future brain-development, hand-eye-coordination problems if children do not print and write by hand any more. Maybe we older folks should set an example and become luddites, and go back to pen and paper.

Return to “Writing Discussion”