Favorite time of day to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Vimtuous
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vimtuous.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Re: Favorite time of day to write?

Post by Vimtuous »

I do my most productive writting first thing in the morning right when I wake up. On the other hand, late at night is great too because my inner editor is too tired to nit pick what I'm writing, so that's good for just getting the words out for an idea.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

There is no particular time for me... when my creative juices are flowing that's when I enjoy writing. I can literary be sleeping and have the most enlightening dream and then have to wake up at 4am just to jot it all down on paper.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
DickDatchery
Favorite Author: Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment [Dostoevsky]
Currently Reading: The Bleeding Edge [Pynchon]
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickdatchery.html
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
fav_author_id: 9655

Post by DickDatchery »

Early morning, without a doubt. I don't feel anything like the freshness and creativity of the morning at any other time of day.
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
Tseve87
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tseve87.html

Post by Tseve87 »

Being a night owl I usually end up writing at night that way I know I wont get bothered by anyone to interrupt my thought process. However if something comes to me or inspiration hits me anytime of the day I have to write before I lose it. Its a compulsion really lol.
clara7733
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clara7733.html

Post by clara7733 »

My favorite time to write is early in the morning after several cups of coffee.
ursellb

Post by ursellb »

I like to write in the afternoon after the stories are gone off. That is the best time for me to write. That is when I do my best
writing and I read at night when I'm ready for bed I read instead for a couple of hours.
Sciadoe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sciadoe.html

Post by Sciadoe »

I've been writing since I was in my early teen years and I have always found that I have more success and inspiration late at night. The quieter the house and the world outside is the better it is for me to sit down and pound out a few pages. I also think that I'm more emotionally open at night and when I write my feelings play a big role so it's just all around better if I write late at night.
alex_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex.html

Post by alex_ »

Any time of the day, mostly around noon.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

Late afternoons if I have any choice but now, it all depends on my shift. Any time I can write is my favorite time of the day to write.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Usually in the evening, but I can write whenever the spirit moves me.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

I prefer mornings when I'm at my 'freshest', but I can write at any time really. Although I still have household chores, shopping and so on to do, now I'm retired I can generally write when I want (or, as LivreAmour217 says so beautifully, 'whenever the spirit moves me'.) But, like many people who've answered this question, I've had many, many years of squeezing writing in whenever possible, or not doing any at all.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I usually write whenever the mood strikes or whenever a thought enters my mind. I don't have a certain time to write because my creativeness can strike at anytime.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

Mine is usually afternoon to wee hours of the morning. Thankfully I can write at any time, but between 2 pm and 3 am is the best time for me.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

For some reason, I work really well in the middle of the afternoon. Or after dinner.
sahayes

Post by sahayes »

I prefer to write in the wee hours of the morning, after I've had a few hours sleep. I write for a few hours then go back to bed. Yeah, it's broken sleep, but I'm waking up anyway and not going right back to sleep, so I like to make use of the time. Then, after work, I spend time editing an re-writing what I wrote that morning. Of course, this is only when I'm in writing mode. Otherwise, I just lay in bed and wait for sleep to return.

Happy Writing!

Return to “Writing Discussion”