Requesting reviews: Etiquette

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Re: Requesting reviews: Etiquette

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Wow, glad that got cleared up for you! I would never tell somebody that my time is worth more than your time. I don't blame you for saying you weren't interested after that, I would have to!
robertcjgraves
Favorite Author: Too Many
Favorite Book: Too Many
Currently Reading: And the Mountains Echoed
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by robertcjgraves »

riyanj wrote:An author asked me today to review his book.

It's in my genre, so I said, sure, send it to me in a pdf (old school; I don't own a kindle).

His response, "You can pick it up in pdf format on Smashwords."

I did look it up and it was posted (by an unknown author) for $5.

I was greatly put off because I don't agree that if you seek another person's review that you should ask for them to pay for the book to boost your sales / income.

Opinions?
I would never do ask someone to review a book of mine without providing a complimentary copy. For one thing, every time I give a book away for some sort of promotion, I'm writing it off on my taxes. Marketing is difficult for most authors, but manners and a little common sense shouldn't be.
Robert C.J. Graves
Author of Richard, Zombie King and Diamond Eye
riyanj
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower Series
Currently Reading: In between books
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyanj.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by riyanj »

A good point. I wonder how many authors forget that giving away their books can count as a deduction on their taxes. As well as all of the costs associated with writing and publishing.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Aren't the opinions of reviewers what start to make money for new authors? I don't think they should really expect a dime until after somebody has seen it and endorsed it somehow. Strange. People are scammers by nature, though, I suppose...
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

If that happens on this site, please let me know, as I would not only consider it bad etiquette but a violation of our anti-spam rules. :shock:
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

riyanj wrote::) I actually asked him to just send me a copy and his response was that the time that he took to write the book was worth more than my time to read it. Being I disagree with that logic, I told him I was not interested.
That is actually a stupid logic. I mean if you want review from someone, you should be willing to at least give him the book :/ Strange people. . .
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Wow. And you said you'd read other works by this author? If it had been a brand new author I could understand them holding on too tightly.. maybe paranoid of it ended up all over the internet for free (assuming he doesn't know you that well).... etc. But as a seasoned writer they should know better. It is hard to believe they would think that is something acceptable to do... makes me wonder how many first time reviewers they have managed to boost their sales with.
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

riyanj wrote::) I actually asked him to just send me a copy and his response was that the time that he took to write the book was worth more than my time to read it. Being I disagree with that logic, I told him I was not interested.
Sounds like someone I would want to avoid for the rest of my life! :shock:

Return to “Writing Discussion”