Weird Writing Quirks

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
jamespoet
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: FAHRENHEIT 451
Currently Reading: THE FOREVER WAR and DANCING AZTECS
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamespoet.html
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard
fav_author_id: 2498

Re: Weird Writing Quirks

Post by jamespoet »

For my short stories and my poems, virtually always have to start with a pen and a pad of paper. I have to physically write out the words of the first draft, make a feel for the words, etc. For screenplays I have to use Final Draft--the whole formatting thing that seems just as important as the words themselves--but for everything else there's MastCard. And a pen and paper.
The joys of literature transcend the evils of the world. I believe in its miraculious baptism and emotional power of the words trickling down the page. To me, there is no higher artform...
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

jamespoet wrote:For my short stories and my poems, virtually always have to start with a pen and a pad of paper. I have to physically write out the words of the first draft, make a feel for the words, etc. For screenplays I have to use Final Draft--the whole formatting thing that seems just as important as the words themselves--but for everything else there's MastCard. And a pen and paper.
hahaa...good old pen and paper. I had to jot something down the other day, and realized I really missed the feeling of holding a pen! It's been so long since I've had to write notes or write things down by hand.

Somehow, I can totally see how formatting is important--gives you the feel of a finished product.
jamespoet

Post by jamespoet »

npandit wrote:hahaa...good old pen and paper. I had to jot something down the other day, and realized I really missed the feeling of holding a pen! It's been so long since I've had to write notes or write things down by hand.

Somehow, I can totally see how formatting is important--gives you the feel of a finished product.
Screenplays are in a way like sonnets...you can be as creative with the story as you want, but there are technical perameters which must be met before you can label it a screenplay (or a sonnet, to complete the analogy). The formatting rules are there, in order to come up with a finished script where one pages of script roughly translates to one minute of screentime. So a 100 page script will equal to roughly a film lasting an hour and forty minutes. It's kind of a weird setup, but I enjoy the challange of it.
The joys of literature transcend the evils of the world. I believe in its miraculious baptism and emotional power of the words trickling down the page. To me, there is no higher artform...
npandit

Post by npandit »

Oh, that's neat! And it sounds very challenging!

I would love to see your screenplays play out on screen/in theater! Do you normally write for film/tv, or is it generally for stage?
jamespoet

Post by jamespoet »

In the last two years I've been writing increasingly for film. I've been taking film classes at the nearby community college, and I'm currently working on shooting a short film I wrote. One day I hope to write a stage play, but I still have to monkey some more with the stage play format a bit longer before i can attempt any serious play writing.
npandit

Post by npandit »

Cool! Good luck with all of that!! Sounds like you have your plate full!
jamespoet

Post by jamespoet »

It's a good bit but I enjoy it.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I can't write after dark if there is a window or curtain open.
It freaks me out.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

I get nearly 75% of my writing done in the Winter. Too many distractions Spring through Fall. Imagine how prolific I could be if I lived in the Arctic :D
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Carla Hurst-Chandler wrote:I get nearly 75% of my writing done in the Winter. Too many distractions Spring through Fall. Imagine how prolific I could be if I lived in the Arctic :D
Maybe that's what it is about me when I get really motivated to write in the fall!
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

I handwrite virtually everything, and only in blue pen. The only time black is acceptable is if it's

A) A super duper important thing that I must write down immediately and my writing options are black pen or my own blood

or

B) In my black little notebook where I write all figments of story ideas, one liners, characters, or anything that I love but don't have enough of to start crafting a full story.

Another thing I do is that when I move from one line to the next and need to break a word, it CAN'T look like the fragment on the next line is its own word. So if I'm trying to write

Parent

it can't be pa-
rent

because then it looks like -rent is its own word and I can't have that. Also if I'm starting a new paragraph at least half the line or more must be full because otherwise that's wasting space.
LEissler
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LEissler »

Though probably quite common, I can only write at night with a completely quiet house. If there is any noise to distract me it messes up my whole mojo and I won't be able write anything. OR when I do write during the day, I notice more mistakes and more corrections are needed as opposed to writing at night.
Carla Hurst-Chandler

Anacoana wrote:I handwrite virtually everything, and only in blue pen. The only time black is acceptable is if it's

A) A super duper important thing that I must write down immediately and my writing options are black pen or my own blood

The scary part is that I so "get" this.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

When I write, all the stuffed animals in the house must be facing north.

No, not really. :?
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Carla Hurst-Chandler

PashaRu wrote:When I write, all the stuffed animals in the house must be facing north.

No, not really. :?
LAUGHING!!!

(...because everyone KNOWS they must be facing south...silly)

Return to “Writing Discussion”