Editing

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
aaronhattle
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaronhattle.html
Latest Review: "Memes of Loss and Devotion" by Darren White

Re: Editing

Post by aaronhattle »

jcorkman1 wrote:I tried using a so call 'professional editor' and she added her own ideas into the story. I think she was a struggling writer. I told her to take a hike. Writers beware when looking for a professional editor.

James
I've heard that a great way to get good editing is to hire a graduate student from your local university. Most will do a really good job for not a lot of money.
Latest Review: "Memes of Loss and Devotion" by Darren White
bbonelli
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bbonelli »

I actually work with a major research univesity in my "other" life and I also served as a trustee of a different major university for a number of years. Your suggestion of a graduate student is excellent. These dedicated young men and women are always looking for a challenge, not to mention an opportunity to earn some money - regardless of the amount. BB
riyanj
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower Series
Currently Reading: In between books
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyanj.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by riyanj »

This is such a tricky topic. I agree with the suggestion of beta readers for story line and people who know how to edit copy for stupid grammar, punctuation and formatting issues. One of my favorite things to do is be a beta reader and I always offer my help to any author who will reach out to me when beta readers are needed. They are such an important part of the editing process because they catch problems in the story that the author just misses because they have information that the reader doesn't.

As for copy editing, I have a system where I gather as many editors as I can and send them out a print proof copy in rotation. They mark the book up and send it back to me and I make the changes. If I have enough people helping, it only goes through one round. If not, as many as it takes until the pages aren't bleeding red.

That being said, even with so much editing there are always a few minor mistakes that I didn't catch. You have to be willing to let that go and, if you have the ability, change the print file as you (or in one case one of my readers) find them.
melissabattles
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissabattles.html
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by melissabattles »

I think a person can over-edit on their own work, because it is so familiar. Even though I do both writing and editing, I always ask for at least a second pair of eyes on my work. I am one of those people who knows how to edit copy for "stupid" grammar, :wink: but I think two edits back and forth between author/editor should be enough for line editing. I really like the beta reader idea for story consistency.
jcorkman1
Favorite Author: Clive Cussler
Currently Reading: The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes. A sci-fi thriller.
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 6858

Post by jcorkman1 »

I feel the same about beta readers. I know my story 'too' well sometimes, and leave out little details that are clear in my mind but are not apparent to someone reading the story. In my humble opinion, beta readers are an essential part of the editing process if you want to release a great story.
James.
melissabattles
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissabattles.html
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by melissabattles »

James, I saw your previous post about the frustrated writer in editor's clothing. I agree with bbonnelli in making sure to flesh out the scope of the work, though I'm rolling my eyes at your experience, anyway. :roll: When I take on an editing job, I make sure to find out in the discovery process exactly what it is that the client wants. Unless they ask for me to assist in writing (other than restructuring sentences, for example), it is an editing job. That editor gives the rest of us a bad name. If that editor wants to write, take on more writing gigs. I would like nothing more than support myself with 100% editing work, so that editor can feel free to pass! :D
jcorkman1
Currently Reading: The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes. A sci-fi thriller.

Post by jcorkman1 »

Fortunately that one bad experience with the ‘want to be a writer’ did not blemish my high regards for the 99.999 percent of you that ‘are’ good editors. Personally I think a professional editor is a vital part of a writer’s success. I’m working with one right now, and it’s a great experience.
James.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

My main thing is the grammar, spelling part of the editing. After that I will give my opinion of the story and the author can do with that what they will, whether they would like more information whatever they choose. If I can understand where the author is coming from. I won't mess with the concept or clarity of the story.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

The edit/re-write time is the most time consuming...but also the most important.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

"the indie author"

As differentiated from the authors who are employed by the big fiction manufacturers?
jcorkman1
Currently Reading: The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora&rsquo;s Eyes. A sci-fi thriller.

Post by jcorkman1 »

I’ve discovered that being an INDIE author requires an immense amount of work and time aside from actually writing. With thousands of new writers having the ability to instantly publish their writing, getting your own writing noticed requires promotions, reviews, blogging and much more social media interaction. Even so, if your own writing is not properly edited for structure and grammar, someone will notice and write a review picking it apart. Even the best writers rely on a good editor. I now have three editors, and each has their own specialty and advice. Fortunately they are also my friends and are not afraid to be honest in their critiques.
authormaj

Post by authormaj »

I think you can definitely over-edit. I tend to do one-three rounds of editing myself, then give my manuscript to my editor. Sometimes, if it's a complicated book, I ask betareaders too. I used to have a critique partner, which was really helpful. But more than five rounds of editing, well, I'd never do that (unless the book really, really needed it, btu I'd probably give up by then).
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

Editing is really difficult to put the breaks on. For me I stopped when I began to dread reading my own words because I had edited so much. Make a list of things you think need improvement, go through it, and then have people read it. Then, repeat the process. Having other people looking at it and telling you what thy noticed can help keep you focused on what's important, instead of rewriting the same sentence for the nineteenth time.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Anacoana wrote:Editing is really difficult to put the breaks on. For me I stopped when I began to dread reading my own words because I had edited so much. Make a list of things you think need improvement, go through it, and then have people read it. Then, repeat the process. Having other people looking at it and telling you what thy noticed can help keep you focused on what's important, instead of rewriting the same sentence for the nineteenth time.
I feel like every time I read through a novel I have written, I will change something even if there is technically nothing wrong with it, so I think I know the feeling! Eventually, I feel like I have to just give up because I can't stand reading it anymore.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Anacoana wrote:Editing is really difficult to put the breaks on. For me I stopped when I began to dread reading my own words because I had edited so much. Make a list of things you think need improvement, go through it, and then have people read it. Then, repeat the process. Having other people looking at it and telling you what thy noticed can help keep you focused on what's important, instead of rewriting the same sentence for the nineteenth time.
I think this is an excellent way to get a feel for what needs to stay/go in a manuscript.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Return to “Writing Discussion”