Burn Out?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
deanfromaustralia
Favorite Author: Simon Winchester
Favorite Book: The Map That Changed The World.
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 6670

Burn Out?

Post by deanfromaustralia »

I'm interested to know if writers' suffer from burn out - particularly after finishing a project. I define burn out as being creatively spent and unable to create anything rather than simply be stuck on a partucular point in a story. I prefer to differentiate burn out from writers' block because I believe them to be seperate ideas so I'd be interested in getting some discussion from the community.
Zain
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain.html

Post by Zain »

Well, I suppose you can get burn out in every job.
Personal experience, well, I from time to time experience a certain kind of... void after finishing a book or a chapter but I wouldn't call it anything but exhaustion. Finishing something can also improve one's mood, or even make someone happy. I'd say it's like with every other work, too.
Richard Falken

Post by Richard Falken »

My problem is that I have lots of ideas, but no funding or time to carry them all out. Of course, if I could publish a book every two months, I would run out of creative ideas at some point.

I think that the publishing mafia is more likely to burn the author's resistance down than actual lack of ideas, but, on the other hand, it is surely a very personal matter.
Signatures were traditionally used to append contact information at the end of Usenet posts or emails. Now they are only used for bloating the posts with useless code and the moderators will kick you if you use them for their original purpose.
Enigma
Favorite Author: S.E.Hinton
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading: Breathless by Scott Prussing
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enigma.html
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill

Post by Enigma »

Yep all the time. Mine can last for a few months or a couple of years. But when I'm back in the "Zone" people know it. ;)
If I didn't write, I'd never sleep.

Up the Irons!!!
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill
vortexkd
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vortexkd.html

Post by vortexkd »

Well I've never experienced a phase where I couldn't think of any ideas. Though after I finish a piece (especially if I'm satisfied with it) the ideas that come afterwards tend to be inane spin offs of the story. I like putting the same characters in odd disconnected situations.
So to answer the question, no I've never felt 'burnt out' after writing a piece, just that I can't seriously work on any of the ideas I get at that point.
On the other hand, there's a definite 'zone' time. At best I've written some 30,000 words in two days. That's when I can think of nothing except the story and everyone around me thinks I've gone mad because I (apparently) continuously talk to myself. That kind of focus and inspiration comes on average once in a couple of years.
henrymartin
Favorite Author: Henry Miller
Favorite Book: Black Spring
Currently Reading: The Epic of Gilgamesh
fav_author_id: 14820

Post by henrymartin »

Finishing a piece generally improves my mood, so no issues there. But I do get tired at times. My last big project, a trilogy, took about six years from start to finish; the first draft, however, took much, much less time. It's all the fine-tuning that tends to wear me out.
colleenmclain
Favorite Author: Carl Haasin
Favorite Book: Skinny Dip
Currently Reading: Key Largo

Post by colleenmclain »

I guess I have never called it burn-out. I call it "the well has gone low and i need time to fill it back up." One can't pour creativity 24/7 without getting tired. I've been on a roll with my latest project for three months, none stop. I know where it's going, the plot and words are there but I need a break to keep it from becoming stale. I spend the break time reading, writing short stories, hub pages, outlining future projests or helping friends tweek their projects. Breaks last as long as they last. I know when my characters start calling me my break is over. It's a process. No guilt, no doubt, just a break to recharge. You have permission to rest. 8)
jsinard42
Favorite Author: Joseph delaney
Favorite Book: The Host
Currently Reading: Revenge of the Witch
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsinard42.html
fav_author_id: 6470

Post by jsinard42 »

Can't say I've ever experienced this. I hit writer's block on occasion but otherwise my head is filled to the brim with characters and quirky plots that I can't wait to put down on paper. It never feels like a job to me.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

I think this happens to everyone from time to time; and sometimes you just need a little R&R before you can get the ball rolling again! :)
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
bartleby51
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bartleby51.html

Post by bartleby51 »

Usually when I've worked really hard on a project, once I'm done I don't want to look at my own stuff for a while. Since I watch movies while I'm writing, I tend to recharge the batteries with a trip to the library for something totally outside the genre I've been working in. Just put a novel through a beta reading process and started sending out queries; since it is magical realism, I hit the library for some tasty noir mysteries and crime fiction. Eventually I will bend my reading toward the subjects and time frame in which I want to set my next work, and start hitting the non-fiction shelves for research reading.
riyanj
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower Series
Currently Reading: In between books
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyanj.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by riyanj »

I wouldn't call mine burn out. I call it fear. I finished my first book and jumped right into the second. For the first one I had loads of support. For the second, for some reason, I've found only resentment from those same supporters. Now I can't even start to write book three because I'm terrified. I don't know why people turned against me, but the did. And it's crippling me.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Since my writing tends to align with the Winter season...I rarely encounter block or burn-out. By the time Fall is over I am ready to get back to it.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
kaylahar6
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahar6.html
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan

Post by kaylahar6 »

That happens to me sometimes too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan
Annie79

Post by Annie79 »

Yes, I am worried about burn out. After you write a book...and it is published....and the hoopla comes (or doesn't) - it is like you've just had a baby. Sometimes you are so high on life that you roll into the next project without missing a beat or you are just so exhausted that you can't churn out the next one as you thought you would. I am exhausted. And sometimes book publishing can be traumatic in some way for sensitive souls.. That can bring on a rut too. "Oh, I really hated that experience...." "That critic really cut me down..." Writing takes courage...damn straight you can burn out for awhile.
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

I go through cycles, as I'm sure everyone does. Sometimes, I'm writing every day, multiple projects, pages and pages, and everything is beautiful and nothing hurts. Other times, I can go months or even years without writing anything. It's usually not writer's block, in the sense that I still have ideas. I still know what I want my story to be and I still can find the words to say it, I just suddenly find myself with no desire to write anymore. I just lose the drive, suddenly and without warning. I try to keep up with my journalling so I'm getting something down, but at times...I just can't be bothered.

Return to “Writing Discussion”