When do you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
brittanyyannn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: When do you write?

Post by brittanyyannn »

Currently, I'm pregnant and stay at home most of the time, so I am able to write whenever. But, I prefer to do it in the morning when my mind is fresh and my other half isn't awake. If I don't do it then I will once all the chores are done so I have a peace of mind. I know once my son is born that I wont be able to do it until he is asleep or preoccupied.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

:shock: With Stephen King's Dr. Sleep...followed by Ken Follett's first two books of the new Trilogy...maybe in November...
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
V-miller
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-miller.html

Post by V-miller »

When I was a teenager I wrote all the time. Primarily journaling, but short stories and poetry too. Since "growing up", I've found it much harder to write anything other than treatment plans and assessments (I'm a clinician by day). I have written one non-fiction book and wrote mostly in the early morning before anyone else in the house was awake -between 5 and 7 am.

I am not a morning person, though, and my body eventually stopped following that early morning routine. I write in the evenings sometimes, but am often tired after work and just want to relax instead of getting into the mindset of writing and thinking about the next scene or the plot or what-have-you. I also don't have a really good place to write in my house right now, which interferes with the writing side of myself.

I keep my iPhone on me all the time, though, so jot down ideas or thoughts that come to me throughout the day (though it's been awhile since I've had any great ones related to my writing). I also keep a notebook and pen under my mattress as I find that I get a lot of great ideas for titles and chapter ideas either right before I fall asleep or in the middle of the night.
Foxylady60

Post by Foxylady60 »

I write whenever the Muse sits on my shoulder from time to time! Not every day as they say you should do. I jot down the ideas on a piece of paper or a diary as soon as they start flowing. It keeps buzzing in my mind the whole day and then after work/housework, etc. is over I start writing. I prefer it at night when its really quiet and peaceful.
jsinard42
Favorite Author: Joseph delaney
Favorite Book: The Host
Currently Reading: Revenge of the Witch
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsinard42.html
fav_author_id: 6470

Post by jsinard42 »

I have a tendency to sleep late in the mornings and work in the evenings so I always write in the middle of the night.
Gloriannes
Favorite Author: John Lange
Favorite Book: Gor Heart of Darkness Alamut
Currently Reading: Fever and Rise of the red shadow
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloriannes.html
Latest Review: "Brother Willy's Traveling Salvation Show" by W. Scott Mitchell
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 8763

Post by Gloriannes »

I work at night it's the best place to write a few long notes, work is so quiet and I can think so clear there.
Latest Review: "Brother Willy's Traveling Salvation Show" by W. Scott Mitchell
Ibanezakame
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibanezakame.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Ibanezakame »

you write when you write, I right nay old time, although I have a fanfiction account, I cant post much cause how busy I am, but I play guitar a lot also
Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music.

Jimi Hendrix
whybark
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whybark.html

Post by whybark »

whenever I feel great emotion be it good or bad
henrymartin
Favorite Author: Henry Miller
Favorite Book: Black Spring
Currently Reading: The Epic of Gilgamesh
fav_author_id: 14820

Post by henrymartin »

I generally write between 11pm and 1am, when the house is quiet and everyone's asleep.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

I write in the mornings, generally, but I have to be alone; so sometimes that is during the afternoons and evenings.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
riyanj
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower Series
Currently Reading: In between books
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyanj.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by riyanj »

As with many of you, I work full time and am a parent. My daughter is getting old enough she's self sufficient but I find if I spend too much time writing she feels like she comes second. Resented me for the time I spent on the first book. So now I try to limit it to lunch hours and when she's off doing her own thing. Although, if I'm inspired and it has to get out NOW, I've been known to wake up in the late or wee hours and look up to see the sun out the window.
mesterzsolti

Post by mesterzsolti »

I work from home every morning till midday. I'am a writer, too. I have blogs anyway, too. I write on my blogs when I'am frustrated and angry sometimes. Writing can be a way to subliminate my fury. Or when I have ideas. I try to be funny, too. People like laughing and funny things so every blogger should keep to be funny, too.
Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier

Post by Aithne »

I'm a night owl that can't write anything worth keeping before 4pm. The mistakes tend to creep in after 4am.
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier
jhonmarvi

Post by jhonmarvi »

I never write before but now i feel it . today in evening i write some thing and i tell you tomorrow what i write ?
ok dear
authorkcfinn
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authorkcfinn.html

Post by authorkcfinn »

I tend to write when my mind is at its freshest, so that's right after I wake up (which could be any time of the day if I've had a nap or something!). That's when my mind is clearest because the stress of the day isn't on me yet!

Return to “Writing Discussion”