When do you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
lorenicole
Favorite Author: Laurell K Hamilton
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorenicole.html
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
Publishing Contest Votes: 12

Re: When do you write?

Post by lorenicole »

I usually write at night. During the day my time is spent taking care of two toddlers, dairy farm chores, and college classwork. Night time is the only time I can just sit, relax, and let my creative juices flow.
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I write when the inspiration hits and sometimes that is in the middle of the night. I go to bed with a notebook every night so I can write things down before I forget them. If I don't have a notebook, I can't fall back asleep. Sometimes it gets hard to read my writing that I put in my notebook late at night or early morning. I try to do, at the very least, a half hour every day then of writing from my notes.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I am finding it hard to write on the weekend, especially if I am at home. I have to be out in public, away from the distractions of my own home (TV, internet, etc.)... but I need lots to drink as well. I guess I write best when I am at a cafe or something. 8)
+Eevee+
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eevee.html

Post by +Eevee+ »

I write almost all day. If I don't have my computer I write on my phone, and if I don't have my computer or my phone I write on paper if there is any. I think the only time I don't write is when I sleep.
Kaitlin Lake
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: The Vampire Academy Series
Currently Reading: The City Of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-lake.html
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Kaitlin Lake »

I usually write in the hour or so I have in the evening before I have to go to bed but I love to write when I don't have anything to do during the day. :D
exquisitelyL
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-exquisitelyl.html

Post by exquisitelyL »

I have time during the day so that's when I write.
michelewhite0068
Favorite Author: Robert McCammon
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 88">Doctor Sleep</a>
Currently Reading: 11.22.63
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelewhite0068.html
fav_author_id: 2690

Post by michelewhite0068 »

I write when I need a break from whatever I am obsessing over at the moment. Like now, I have finished writing a paper for class . . . a Final Paper worth a lot of points in my class that will likely determine my grade, so I switch gears and write. Even if it seems like nonsense, you need to write from the heart first and then edit using your brain.
A book is a gift you can open again and again--anonymous
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

michelewhite0068 wrote:I write when I need a break from whatever I am obsessing over at the moment. Like now, I have finished writing a paper for class . . . a Final Paper worth a lot of points in my class that will likely determine my grade, so I switch gears and write. Even if it seems like nonsense, you need to write from the heart first and then edit using your brain.
Writing to take a break from writing? That's intense!
michelewhite0068
Favorite Author: Robert McCammon
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 88">Doctor Sleep</a>
Currently Reading: 11.22.63
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelewhite0068.html
fav_author_id: 2690

Post by michelewhite0068 »

ALynnPowers wrote:
michelewhite0068 wrote:I write when I need a break from whatever I am obsessing over at the moment. Like now, I have finished writing a paper for class . . . a Final Paper worth a lot of points in my class that will likely determine my grade, so I switch gears and write. Even if it seems like nonsense, you need to write from the heart first and then edit using your brain.
Writing to take a break from writing? That's intense!
I have been told I am an intense kind of person. I am what I am. LOL 8)
A book is a gift you can open again and again--anonymous
+Eevee+
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eevee.html

Post by +Eevee+ »

I write when I wake up. I try to write at least 2,000 words a day maybe more. If I'm not writing I'm probably reading. If I'm not reading I'm probably writing.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

+Eevee+ wrote:I write when I wake up. I try to write at least 2,000 words a day maybe more. If I'm not writing I'm probably reading. If I'm not reading I'm probably writing.
That's awesome for you! Nice work!
I wish I could be that consistent! Recently, I can't write anytime at all. :(
NateStewart

Post by NateStewart »

I write in the early hours of the morning, and I mean 2,3,4 am. I don't know why, but I feel the most productive during those times when it comes to writing.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Still writing only in my mind. Or in my dreams. Nothing in reality. Help me!
dramaquill

Post by dramaquill »

When I'm writing plays for work, I write during the mornings/early afternoons before going to my studio to teach. My novel writing is often done late at night before bed or on weekends and days off.
icerose92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-icerose92.html

Post by icerose92 »

To sit down and write with pen and paper like I prefer, I wait until nighttime, when everyone else in the house has gone to bed. There are fewer distractions that way, and I don't have to worry about someone asking what I'm writing or reading over my shoulder. Sometimes, though, when an idea strikes, I'll outline it or write it into a rough rough draft on my laptop or tablet, and wait until I'm alone at night to get it fleshed out on paper.

Return to “Writing Discussion”