When do you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
VolkodavKO
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: When do you write?

Post by VolkodavKO »

I write either when I am in a mood to write or when I feel an obligation to write.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I tend to prefer doing manual stuff during the day (DIY, woodworking, home repairs, etc.) when I have the bulk of my physical energy. Then I tend to write in the evening/night, anytime in late afternoon or after dinner. I mess around online all the time--generally when I need a rest from the physical stuff (like right now--those vanity hinges would not budge!)--and I never get any writing done then! On an ideal day, I spend three hours writing/editing/etc.
na-se
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-na-se.html

Post by na-se »

My favorite time is early morning. Before sunrise. With hot coffee. But usually I write seriously at night. With hot tea. And sometimes, when I have free time during the day, I just write whatever ideas come up in my head without much editing.
Well, actually I write whenever I feel like it. Even if it is just one sentence or one paragraph.
And talking about keeping writing as a priority when times are tough.... well... sometimes I just have to push myself to the limit.
For example, here in my country, I have one favorite children magazine that is published weekly. This magazine is one of my motivation in writing. So that I can get this magazine FREE [plus money as bonus], I always try to finish one short story per week and send it. :)
teacher_jane1
Currently Reading: The Quiet American
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacher-jane1.html
Latest Review: "Leading Change From Within" by Brian Strobel

Post by teacher_jane1 »

I was a teacher for 3 years, and couldn't write at all during that time. I wrote a few poems and a few articles, but nothing big, simply because the job was too consuming. But writing is what I really want to do, so I quit teaching and took a job where I work about 30 hours a week. I usually write in the mornings first thing when I get up, but my favorite time is mid-afternoon when I can go somewhere and get a glass of wine and sit in the sun and watch other people doing other things. That's bet for me! The little notebook ideal by cpttyrene above is also a great idea!
Latest Review: "Leading Change From Within" by Brian Strobel
Low Shin-Ji
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-low-shin-ji.html

Post by Low Shin-Ji »

When I feel something that cannot be expressed otherwise.
LeoNelson

Post by LeoNelson »

I write late during the evening. Generally I begin around midnight and write until three or four in the morning.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

LeoNelson wrote:I write late during the evening. Generally I begin around midnight and write until three or four in the morning.
Hey, same here!
toonenthusiast
Favorite Author: Janet Fitch
Currently Reading: The Bell Jar
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toonenthusiast.html
Latest Review: "Remains" by Belle Antoinette
fav_author_id: 3223

Post by toonenthusiast »

I try to write in the evenings as much as I can when there's free time. A great writing habit I keep reading about it writing your initial thoughts first thing in the morning. Just filling up an entire page of whatever comes to mind, a poem, your grocery list, whatever. It gets the gears turning and puts you in the writing mood. Additionally, it's apparently very therapeutic as well. :)
Latest Review: "Remains" by Belle Antoinette
alwayz1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwayz1313.html

Post by alwayz1313 »

I write when I am at my darkest and brightest moments depending on the topic I am indulged in.
EllieThomos

Post by EllieThomos »

I generally like to write late night.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

EllieThomos wrote:I generally like to write late night.
Same here, in part because I'm always trying to get stuff done during the day, particularly stuff that requires physical energy such as errands or home improvement.
authorrustynugent
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9452">Star Wars Return of the jedi</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by authorrustynugent »

I start writing in the evening but write until the early morning light. (^_^)
wmsvensen

Post by wmsvensen »

I find I generally write best between midnight and dawn.

Which can cause some problems if I happen to be working a night job or need to be awake before two in the afternoon the next day.

Return to “Writing Discussion”