How much do you want to kick yourself when,

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Tabbycat42
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How much do you want to kick yourself when,

Post by Tabbycat42 »

Whenever I read reviews, typos and grammar seem to be the number one complaint. I hate when I have typos because it makes it seems as if I am an amateur, which I am :). I try to have someone else look over my work to catch the mistakes that I didn't.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Well, per the original thread title, it's frustrating to find you've made a typo after you've "carefully" gone over your material and submitted it to the agent or editor for publication. But it happens. What's rare is if a typo gets through a professional proofread and edit and into publication. Last night, reading a new collection of short stories, I found a small error in a professionally published story. That's pretty rare.

Because typos in professionally published material is rare, I'm wondering what reviews you're talking about, tabby. I review mystery novels for a mystery/thriller website and I therefore read maybe 4-6 books a month, and I rarely find typos or grammatical errors in these books. And unless the book is full of them, I don't mention them at all. Reason being, I don't consider this very negative to the author, because it's possible that a missing comma, etc, is the fault of the typesetters and not the author.

So I really don't find ANY mechanical problems in ANY of the books I review. I do however find bad writing in some of the awful books -- plot holes, poor grammar, and so on. Such as the author using the word "insure" (having an insurance policy) in the place of "ensure" (making certain that something is done). That's the author's fault and then it's the fault of the editors --- they need to spot these sorts of bad grammar mistakes.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

I'm mistyping things all the time. 99% of the time it's because I was distracted and I type too fast, 1% is because I'm a dumb who can't write the word properly, but that's a lot rarer :D
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

I make plenty of first time typos myself, Himmel. It's okay. When I'm writing, the words jump straight from the brain to the keyboard/screen and I don't worry at all about silly tpyos (ha ha) or spelling -- the idea is to get the words out while you're being creative.

Later I of course fix up the easy errors and that lets me make small revisions, such as if I use the same word too much.

Everyone, all writers make typos and goofy errors. What matters is that afterward, you're able to sift out all those errors and create a clean text for submission to your editor.
Himmelslicht

Post by Himmelslicht »

moderntimes wrote:I make plenty of first time typos myself, Himmel. It's okay. When I'm writing, the words jump straight from the brain to the keyboard/screen and I don't worry at all about silly tpyos (ha ha) or spelling -- the idea is to get the words out while you're being creative.

Later I of course fix up the easy errors and that lets me make small revisions, such as if I use the same word too much.

Everyone, all writers make typos and goofy errors. What matters is that afterward, you're able to sift out all those errors and create a clean text for submission to your editor.
I'd love to read your works, maybe one day. Do you have anything posted on the forums? :)

I don't write... I mean, I only write to myself and also write reviews. I'm a aware as someone who's too hard on herself as on others, that I'm not good enough to be a writer (even though I have the notion that many people like me think they're great writers, ah!), but I take great pride in writing correctly, I can't deny that.
- Gustave Flaubert
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Thanks... my writing is spread all over the place now. I'm writing a series of modern American private detective novels. The first 2 were purchased and published a couple years ago. The contract was for the normal 3 years and now has expired, the rights reverting to me again, and so the books are no longer in print. And I'm currently working with a new publisher for my 3rd novel (finished in Sept 2014) and possible reprinting my first 2 books.

I've had short stories, articles, and essays published here and there too. And I write regularly for a mystery website, writing many book reviews. The site is "OverMyDeadBody.com" and I write under my real name "Sam Waas" so you can check Amazon and see whether the books are perhaps available in Kindle or whatever. And of course read my book reviews on that mystery website.

And right now I'm working on a new novel, a supernatural thriller. I've only got about 10,000 words thus far so the book is very much in progress.
Himmelslicht

Post by Himmelslicht »

moderntimes wrote:Thanks... my writing is spread all over the place now. I'm writing a series of modern American private detective novels. The first 2 were purchased and published a couple years ago. The contract was for the normal 3 years and now has expired, the rights reverting to me again, and so the books are no longer in print. And I'm currently working with a new publisher for my 3rd novel (finished in Sept 2014) and possible reprinting my first 2 books.

I've had short stories, articles, and essays published here and there too. And I write regularly for a mystery website, writing many book reviews. The site is "OverMyDeadBody.com" and I write under my real name "Sam Waas" so you can check Amazon and see whether the books are perhaps available in Kindle or whatever. And of course read my book reviews on that mystery website.

And right now I'm working on a new novel, a supernatural thriller. I've only got about 10,000 words thus far so the book is very much in progress.
I searched for your books on Amazon. There are no Kindle versions of them but there are a few still on sale (including used). Maybe if one day they come out in Kindle version I won't mind buying one at all :)
- Gustave Flaubert
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

First scenario and I probably feel like this world is coming to an end. I want to kick myself really hard, enough to make it hurt and for me to feel guilty.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Well, pretzel, get angry with yourself and let that anger reflect back to your renewed efforts to create a better story. Turn the energies to the positive direction.

Return to “Writing Discussion”