Dreams & Writing

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Re: Dreams & Writing

Post by RussetDivinity »

I often take inspiration from my dreams, but I often have to add things from various other influences to make it a good story. For instance, I recently finished the first draft of a novel in April and am working through the first round of editing. It was based on a dream where a friend was trying to get to another friend by hurting me, but by the time the novel got to a place where I was happy with, I'd dropped that storyline completely and stuck only with the themes and basic plot from that first attempt.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
r_parker
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-parker.html

Post by r_parker »

Sometimes when I get stuck on a story or poem idea and am thinking about it a lot before I go to sleep, I figure something out in my dream... sometimes I even remember the solution when I wake up!

That's not exactly a dream-inspired story, more like a dream-assisted story though.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

I had a dream about becoming a writer and in the future I'll do things related to literature so maybe that dream may come true one day :D
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

I've had plenty of dreams that seem like they would make interesting stories. I have very vivid dreams for some reason and when I wake up, I know that they are vivid and interesting but sometimes I just can't remember. Thankfully, I do remember them pretty often.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper

Return to “Writing Discussion”