Don't You Just Hate When Books In A Series Are Not Numbered?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
DeadPiccolo
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deadpiccolo.html

Re: Don't You Just Hate When Books In A Series Are Not Numbe

Post by DeadPiccolo »

I hate it when that happens. Usually, you can tell by looking at the first few pages though, because it would say, "also written by _____"
jcorkman1
Favorite Author: Clive Cussler
Currently Reading: The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes. A sci-fi thriller.
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 6858

Post by jcorkman1 »

Thanks. After reading the other comments, I thought I was in trouble.
The Bookaholic
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookaholic.html
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill

Post by The Bookaholic »

I just bought a book in a flash sale where i paid for the bag and filled it with as many books that could fit in, but when i got home, found that it was #2 in a trilogy. The first book is really expensive, but the series looks so good, i would like to read it. It is annoying too, when they dont tell you inside the book what number it is. It would really make sales easier:-)
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill
missydawnx
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missydawnx.html

Post by missydawnx »

I agree it's really annoying. I've started reading books before to find that there not the first one in a series.
Madcap Syzygii

Post by Madcap Syzygii »

It's never been a problem for me. If I don't know which is the first of the series, I visit the Wikipedia. It tells everything about anything. HAHA! :mrgreen:
cheridith

Post by cheridith »

:P I dislike this as well. It is really frustrating to realize you just read the last book in the series. That just takes the adventure right out of reading the series. Numbering them is a very awesome idea. Not only with it help readers to expect another book but it will help keep them straight on the bookshelf!
SeaNymph
Favorite Author: J.K.Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Sylvie and Bruno
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by SeaNymph »

I do agree that there should be something that points out there are more books, that this book belongs to a series and is the first, second, third etc book. I mean...not all of us walk around knowing everything about every series. I usually check a site about such things, however it has happened that I am in a bookstore spotting this gorgeous book and I don't have internet access. It's really frustrating.
jaguilar
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaguilar.html

Post by jaguilar »

YES!!!! all characters develop it's nice to understand why and how, major pet peeve of mine
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

No. It doesn't bother me at all that books are not numbered or that I might read a series book out of chronological order. In fact I would guess that I have read out of order the majority of series books that I have read.

I started reading Robert Parker's Spenser series this century. Really no surprise to me that "The Godwulf Manuscriot", published in 1973 wasn't on the shelf whe I first picked up a Spenser book around 2003. I read "Godwulf", the first in the series after having read maybe 20 other titles, none in any particular order.

The first post in this thread complains that 'I thought it was a stand alone book. Now I find there are preceding books'

What's the problem? You read the book, liked it just fine, didn't feel like you were missing anything. Gosh, I hate when that happens. If only it had a number 4 on it - then you wouldn't have had to enjoy it all!
kengeeb
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kengeeb.html

Post by kengeeb »

I do hate that! Who want's to read a series out of order? It's natural to want to follow the progression of the characters/story lines.
aliciawilson
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliciawilson.html
Latest Review: "The Prince Nightmare" by Goodwill Ogbuefi

Post by aliciawilson »

I hate that! I was just recently at the bookstore when I saw this book I really wanted to read. By chance I happened to notice on the back it stated it was part of a series. Luckily there was a page within the book that listed the titles and order, and of course the bookstore didn't have the first one.
Latest Review: "The Prince Nightmare" by Goodwill Ogbuefi
authormaj

Post by authormaj »

Yep, hate that. My publisher didn't want to number some books in my series, because each can be read as standalones. But we struck a bargain, and now they're numbered on the back, just not on the front cover.
samanthaeh76
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthaeh76.html
Latest Review: "The Colonies" by Paul Benoit

Post by samanthaeh76 »

Since the advent of Amazon, I rarely buy books in stores or in hard copies. I always read the book description to figure out if I have read it before (I have read hundreds of thousands of books and forget the specific titles) and to see if it's part of a series. I love finding a new series! When I was younger, it would drive me nuts to only have part of the series and have to hunt and beg/borrow/buy the remaining books. For this reason, whenever I lend out a book (which, honestly, they never come back) I just lend out the whole series, if applicable.
Latest Review: "The Colonies" by Paul Benoit
Ashley Hiddles
Favorite Author: Far too many
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: The Heart-Shaped Box
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-hiddles.html

Post by Ashley Hiddles »

I hate it. If I can't find it easily, I either google the series, or look to see which was published first. It gets confusing reading detailed infor about people you don't know, then picking up the 'next' book and being introduced to them for the first time. Major headache.
whimsy_halfblood
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whimsy-halfblood.html

Post by whimsy_halfblood »

I find that extremely annoying. I'll buy some books thinking I've just purchased the whole series, then I'll finish one and go onto the next, only to find that years have passed in the story and I've skipped a book!

Return to “Writing Discussion”