Your opinion matters!

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
buddu89
Bookshelf Size: 0

Your opinion matters!

Post by buddu89 »

What would you think about someone who writes about your problems? What if I love writing about problems from our life and transform them in a story with a happy ending?
Geek McGyver

Post by Geek McGyver »

that they need to get a life. I'm Kidding! I'm Kidding! the whole idea actually interests me :)
samanecyg7439

Post by samanecyg7439 »

It is a good idea. But I cannot do that since I am very poor in writing. For my academic essays itself, I use to order essay from some cheap essay writing service. But it is a quite good idea. I like it.
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

It's definitely a very interesting idea. I can see how that would be empowering, like if you wrote about a kid who was ostracized from school or someone who was homeless and gave them happy endings. I'm not sure what you'll do with the idea, but I like it!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Yeah, I agree. It sounds like a good idea.
It would be nice if there was a site where people could write in with their problems, and then the author could choose a problem and make a story about. It could be a series about happy endings for real life situations.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I like this idea. It's not only creative, but it could be empowering to someone going through a hard time. For example, if you decided to write a happy ending for someone who's been unemployed for awhile (ending: he/she gets a dream job), that person (and others in the same situation) could read it and feel encouraged. That encouragement could possibly lead to motivation, and motivation could eventually lead to finding that dream job. I know it's a stretch, but it could happen!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
andy6kyu

Post by andy6kyu »

I guess it sounds good, but in my opinion, rather than a happy ending, it would be more empowering to overcome the difficulties-and that to be the focus of the story, because let's face it happy endings in real life are so very rare, it would feel more realistic if the main character simply take's his problem's head on and overcomes them, in the absence of a traditional happy ending.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Hey, I love happy endings! Happy endings abound!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I did that once long ago with a five chapter novella but it was done a little bit differently than you describe. The story involved incidents from my childhood, including some serious problems (like when I almost died), which were comically described through the eyes of the child that I was, as well as the adult who was writing the story - sort of a melding of the two minds as-it-were. SInce the stories were rendered truthfully (in the main) some chapters are resolved happily and others aren't. Anything in the novella which could remotely be considered true, was true, and the fanciful aspects were obviously untrue. Case it point: the main character, me, has conversations with philosophers and other historical characters which are tangential to the plot line of the stories in the individual chapters.

Some people like the novella, others don't - personally, it leaves me indifferent. *Shrugs*
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “Writing Discussion”