Be careful of chosing place names

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Bookworm0266
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm0266.html
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano

Re: Be careful of chosing place names

Post by Bookworm0266 »

I think this is definitely something most writers do not think of or considering when writing. If anything, loosely base your setting if you must.
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano
WriterBLAlley
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by WriterBLAlley »

In my first novel, Arbor Day, I chose a real location, but the town I describe doesn't yet exist. (Arbor Day starts in 2060). It references roads that exist today, but specific places and addresses are entirely fictional. Essentially, it's an extrapolation of the existing town.

In my second novel, The Diamond, the story takes place in a real city, but I never actually name that city, only hint at features. The specific locations are, again, fictional.

It's just easier to fabricate locations, rather than risk offending someone. (or worse)
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

My private detective novels (2 published, 3rd in progress) are set in modern Houston where I live.

I often use real street names and places, so long as the place isn't described in a negative manner or the name is slightly changed. When I want to create a bad place, I play tricks.

For example, south of Houston proper are two large satellite cities, Pasadena and Deer Park. They are centers for the Houston area refining and chemical industry, solid and respectable and mostly middle class cities, fine places to live.

I wanted a "bad" place, a very corrupt town nearby Houston, where the city officials and police are on the take, and the town is essentially run by biker gangs.

If you look at a map of Pasadena and Deer Park Texas (south of Houston itself) you'll see a major urban highway running between them, Spenser Highway. But the cities are adjacent. However, not in my novels. I simply "inserted" a small city, "Mid City" (duh) between the two. So I've got a convenient imaginary corrupt pesthole to use in my novels, without any risk of offending either Pasadena or Deer Park.

My 2nd novel begins at a shady topless bar located on Telephone Road in southeast Houston. Telephone Road is real, and it was captured by the delightful song "Telephone Road" on the excellent album "Houston Kid" by Rodney Crowell. Now, as my private detective describes, Telephone Road has gentrified somewhat since the 50s of the song, but places like the KitKatKlub still exist there. And so my story begins...

It's okay to use real places (my first novel used Nasa Spaceflight Center) but you sometimes have to tread lightly.

Also remember that your publisher's attorney and editors will vet your books if you don't, and perhaps find places or names that might be better changed.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."

Return to “Writing Discussion”