Tips and tricks to deal with Writer's Block.

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
AmandaRose
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Tips and tricks to deal with Writer's Block.

Post by AmandaRose »

The worst thing someone could do is over think about what their writing. The trick is to just write and write, even if you don't have anything too intelligent to say. We get too concerned about the format of our writing, and whether are grammar is correct. Just forget it all and write. It's so simple, yet it does wonders. If you instantly get an idea, you sure as anything better get it on paper before it vanishes into thin air. Even if your idea has no depth to it yet, there's always time to build on it.
wildcat

Post by wildcat »

I've been writing for over thirty years and at some point I realized that in one day I could write ten pages that were excellent if I was in the mood to be truly inspired--or spend a week forcing out one crappy page when I'm not. So I do not subscribe to the "just force yourself to sit down and write even when you're not in the mood" philosophy. I'm not denigrating that process; if it works for you, fine. Different strokes... It just does not work for me.

I do two things that help keep me productive and efficient.

I am always working on more than one project. I'll have a main project that I'm especially focussed on, but one or more in the hopper. If I get stuck on the main one, I'll do a little work on the other(s), maybe just jotting notes, or even writing whole scenes.

If I get totally jammed and don't feel like writing, I'll just stop trying. I'll catch up on the mundane tasks that I usually put off while I'm in writing mode, or I'll watch a bunch of stuff clogging my DVR (watching good movies tends to speed up my block recovery to some degree). I won't even think about writing until I start to get the itch. And even then I won't start writing. I'll wait another day or two until I'm champing at the bit and can't hold myself back, then I'll hit the keyboard and blast off, good for another long stretch.

I should add that when I began my career as a writer, I was fanatical about it. I'd write as much as 18 hours a day, 7 days a week. I was hungry for success and if I wasn't banging away on the typewriter I felt guilty. Sometimes I'd go out partying all night and come home and sit down at the Selectric until dawn. (You younger writers don't realize how easy you have it, not having to deal with physically cutting and pasting your pages, globs of white-out flaking off, expensive typewriter ribbons and correct-tape, etc.)

Anyway, that's what works for me today, and what worked for me in the past. Over time you will learn and adapt to your own process, and change it if it evolves. One rule doesn't apply to all, so don't let anyone tell you there's only one way.
Wind Wise
Favorite Author: Gaston Leroux
Favorite Book: Phantom of the Opera
Currently Reading: Red Transplanted Tales by Kate Serine
fav_author_id: 2894

Post by Wind Wise »

I play my DS 'til I get an idea.
I love to read!

My top 3 fave books:
1. Phantom of the Opera- Gaston Leroux
2. Phantom- Susan Kay
3. Speak- Laurie Halse Anderson

I need to record her voice babbling so I can listen to it when she's not around- Wintergirls
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

I haven't really experienced true writer's block yet. My problem is more trying to find the time to write. If it happened during my work on a novel, I'd probably go back to my outline and see if there's a plot hole or something else tripping me up. Or else I'd pull out a different work just to get the writing going again. On the occasion where I can't come up with a new blog post, I go for a long walk, and usually some topic pops up, at least enough to get me started.
vijaykumarA

Post by vijaykumarA »

A few tips to deal with writer,s Block:
Focus on niche
Stay on writing schedule
Set yourself a target
Remove any distractions
Relax a bit.
karasophy
Currently Reading: Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Post by karasophy »

First, consider why you are writing. Are you writing because it's your job (for money) or are you writing because it's your hobby (for fun)?

Next, consider your audience. If you are writing because it's your job, you have to sell out a bit and give your audience what they want. It's not too different if you're writing because it's your hobby. For example, if you write fanfiction and you post your work on fanfiction websites, you have to avoid "out of characterness" and make sure you don't enrage fans of the series you are all into. However, if you write stories and keep it to yourself, know that there are no limits, and you can make your works as ridiculous as you want.

Third, know your passion. If you are into romantic comedies, start with that. Don't jump into zombie apocalypse fition all of a sudden.

Fourth, make the time and the place for writing.

Last, do it.
GarnetCompass

Post by GarnetCompass »

I like to step away from my writing until it falls back into perspective, and I can see more of the storyline. This break is often spent out in the world, enjoying myself, to gain content for my writing. :)
StitchMySmile
Favorite Author: Neal Stephenson
Favorite Book: Snow Crash
Currently Reading: Hammer and Anvil
fav_author_id: 9595

Post by StitchMySmile »

Lon Dee wrote:Exercise helps me. I mean physical exercise, not writing or mental exercise. Running, biking, even just walking all help. I don't know the physiology behind it, but I think that if my body is busy doing something that it can handle by itself (I don't have to "think" about running), then my mind can concentrate and focus on what I want it to. I think about the spot in my book where I'm at and where I want the characters to go. Then I can get back to writing with some new ideas. Or even if I didn't get any new ideas, at least my body isn't deteriorating ;-)
This is great advice in my opinion. I like to drive or run while listening to music, and then I put myself in my characters place and let my mind daydream away. There is something about your body being on “autopilot” that frees your mind, and for me the music really ignites my imagination.
camilegordon

Post by camilegordon »

some excellent tips here. . . where was this blog when i was at uni !!!??
JK Moss

Post by JK Moss »

When I get stuck in a story my mind never stops. I may not be able to turn words into sentences that are worth a darn for flow, pace,tone and such, but my mind keeps running. The strange part for me, is I never really know where the story is going. I know, I know, that is an unbelievable statement. I rarely know much past the chapter I'm writing. Even when my mind is spinning out of control I cant plan long term. I have to type before it flows.

When the flow is messed up I turn to PS3 and a few games I enjoy. It completely shuts off the mess in my brain and I focus on nothing but the game. I've gone a couple weeks at a time like this and when I come back my mind is clear. It really does turn your brain to mush, and I would never recommend it for my teenage son, but it works for me to get my brain off the writing. I find that is exactly what I need to let things settle down.

Oh, reading tends to work as well. Maybe its anything that engulfs my mind removing the constant story-line buzz. The truth is,I like the games.
liliaceous
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liliaceous.html
Latest Review: "The Volunteer Traveler's Handbook" by Shannon ODonnell

Post by liliaceous »

I think taking a quick break and focusing on something different helps a lot - even 15mins on the phone with a friend can do a lot so you can come back with totally fresh eyes. But when the writer's block really hits, then I'm all for the Baileys too!
Latest Review: "The Volunteer Traveler's Handbook" by Shannon ODonnell
Shakespril

Post by Shakespril »

Writer's block is a writer's worst enemy. I think there are different ways to combat it. What works for me might not work for others. I guess creative writing prompts exercises can trigger someone to write.
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber

Post by asmaahsan »

I get a writers block from lack of sleep. I just stop writing and try to get as much sleep as possible. Sometimes two to three power naps in the day even. Going to the beach for an hour or two to just laze around, or a nice walk calms my mind but usually, to get inspiration to start rewriting, I need to be among people so i go to a mall and checkout the shops and notice fashions and stuff around me. At some point, among tons of people, I get inspired to write. My way is a bit weird but it works for me.
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber
mstrick96
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstrick96.html
Latest Review: "What about your saucepans?" by Lindsay de Feliz

Post by mstrick96 »

One trick that I have found that helps is to do a mind map. Wherever you are in your story or article, just mind map a brainstorming session of ideas for moving forward. This is also quite good for structuring whatever you are writing.

If you are so blocked that you can't even do a mind map, get away from it and go for a walk!
Latest Review: "What about your saucepans?" by Lindsay de Feliz
mhjames

Post by mhjames »

It really depends, but several ways I deal with writer's block are:
just give it a break and come back with a clear head later
read books (not to steal their ideas, but to get my creative thoughts out of a rut and thinking new ways)
just write, accepting it will probably be crap, until good stuff starts to show up again
talk it out with a friend or family member
sleep on it

It's a tricky problem, and the same thing doesn't always work for me.
"I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health." -- Voltaire

Return to “Writing Discussion”