Tips and tricks to deal with Writer's Block.

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Ghostwalker117
Favorite Author: Ian Fleming
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: The Spy who Loved me.
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 3074

Tips and tricks to deal with Writer's Block.

Post by Ghostwalker117 »

We all have that time when we just get stuck and run out of ideas when we write our stories. I would just like to know how my fellow authors deal with their block. As for me I just take a break from writing for two weeks and take a mini holiday cuddling up with a good movie.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

When I am stuck I either return the whole thing to the writer's trunk and pick up something else I have walked away from earlier...or I take the pages I have and work on the editing/rewrite which seems to pull the whole bit into perspective again...and if it doesn't...well I have managed a bit of editing, anyway.

When both fail I have a nice Bailey's and Cream and call it a night :)
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
BooksguyBooksguy

Post by BooksguyBooksguy »

I write a lot of articles for a newspaper, so even if I have writer's block there's a deadline to meet. If I have time, I like to meditate when facing lack of inspiration. For poetry, I like to try thinking different ways, but sometimes I toss the whole thing and start again.
tedfiz
Favorite Book: the land of five towers

Post by tedfiz »

when i stuck...i done... i cant write anymore.. then try another topic....... :(
Lon Dee

Post by Lon Dee »

Exercise helps me. I mean physical exercise, not writing or mental exercise. Running, biking, even just walking all help. I don't know the physiology behind it, but I think that if my body is busy doing something that it can handle by itself (I don't have to "think" about running), then my mind can concentrate and focus on what I want it to. I think about the spot in my book where I'm at and where I want the characters to go. Then I can get back to writing with some new ideas. Or even if I didn't get any new ideas, at least my body isn't deteriorating ;-)
rani16

Post by rani16 »

Read good books with your interest not just random books...:)
XanderRichards

Post by XanderRichards »

Ghostwalker117 wrote:I would just like to know how my fellow authors deal with their block.
Advice from my cover artist: "Go for a long drive, get your head out of the tunnel."

Advice from my editor: "Just puke anything out onto the page. You can clean up the mess later."

Unfortunately neither of these worked for me when I had my first writers' block. I had to wait for the movie to start playing in my head again. :)

Cheers,
Xander.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

XanderRichards wrote:
Ghostwalker117 wrote:I would just like to know how my fellow authors deal with their block.
Advice from my cover artist: "Go for a long drive, get your head out of the tunnel."

Advice from my editor: "Just puke anything out onto the page. You can clean up the mess later."

Unfortunately neither of these worked for me when I had my first writers' block. I had to wait for the movie to start playing in my head again. :)

Cheers,
Xander.
The advise from your editor is quite good though. Remember using much the same analogy about essays...vomiting on the page...
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Hoilett

Post by Hoilett »

I thought I had a great reply to this topic....It is a good thing I scrolled through all the other posted replies because you all pretty much said it. On a personal note I find that my greatest inspirational moments come early in the morning at about 6am when I am just waking up. Yep just in time to prevent me from snuggling up any furthur in bed. Invariably it sends me running to the laptop because I know if I don't do it then, then I will not remember the great phrases in their perfect order running all through my head.
Another inspirational time for me is in the shower...bif problem there! I have yet to find any water resistant laptops.
Oh well.

Hoilett
LOAC

Post by LOAC »

I rely on the concept of free writing. When I'am stuck I just write. I write anything, even if it doesn't make sense. If I can't write sentences i just write a bunch of letters on the page. If you try this, your brain can't stand it and will force you to start writing words, then sentences.......you get the picture.
Hourglass
Favorite Author: Too many to choose
Favorite Book: I have many favorites
Currently Reading: Blood Song by Anthony Ryan

Post by Hourglass »

Back up to where you weren't stuck, back to where everything was flowing great. I have found that writers block means I've taken a wrong turn. Sometimes this can mean backing up just one scene, others it can mean backing up a chapter or two. I found that it usually happens when I stop listening to my characters and try to force the story in the direction I think it should go. Then I end up stuck. I have learned to listen to my characters and not be afraid to delete an entire chapter (or more) if need be to get it flowing again.
Carys

Post by Carys »

Although I'm a young writer and I found school's completely killed my inspiration for writing, I've recently found free writing has helped. Writing random chunks of text and building a story around it gives me many ideas of where it leads, what it could lead to, what led it there and then it branches off into different stories.
louisgeorge

Post by louisgeorge »

rani16 wrote:Read good books with your interest not just random books...:)
exactly..read only the books of your interest :)
Un-Break My Heart , Un-Cry These Tears , Say You Will Love Me Again
Jimrada

Post by Jimrada »

The thing that works best for me to fight writer's block is to have multiple projects going on. I have a primary project that I'm working on, but if I get stuck, I can jump to another project for a day or longer. Having my mind focused on a different project allows it to rest from my primary project. Then when I come back to the primary project, I'm fresh, but my mind is still primed to write.
tbughi1
Favorite Author: Bernard Cornwell
Favorite Book: Dune by Frank Herbert
fav_author_id: 3083

Post by tbughi1 »

Daydream. If I'm stuck, I essentially ponder the many different possibilities for where the story could go. I don't think critically about it, I just let my mind drift from option to option. This process could take anywhere from a day to a couple weeks. I like it because it isn't stressful and I explore all possibilities equally this way, like a one-person brainstorm session.

Return to “Writing Discussion”