Announcing Bookshelves - Free Web App at Online Book Club!

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Re: Announcing Bookshelves - Free Web App at Online Book Clu

Post by Ryan »

Being able to completely remove books from shelves would be ideal, I think. Otherwise, the "trash bin" would become unnecessarily filled with stuff that we might never have intended to add in the first place or endless amounts of books that needn't be there anyway. I do think, though, that if it were renamed the bin could be useful for other things. I definitely agree with making the trash bin private, however.
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I can't see myself using the trash bin. It sounds scary.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

Really Nice Job! I love how the book thumbnails come up. It was cool to see how the cover art had changed since I read those books years ago. Adding the rating system for the books you've added may lead to some interesting discussions too.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

Dear Scott,
I uploaded the wrong book cover for a book how do I change that? The book cover should have been for Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech and another book cover was put in its place.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Lilapo9 wrote:Dear Scott,
I uploaded the wrong book cover for a book how do I change that? The book cover should have been for Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech and another book cover was put in its place.
You can't edit it and need to report it. Please check out this post:

Editing/deleting entries
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

Okay I misspelled a book title and went back and added the correct title then when I submitted the book it put a totally different cover on it. The same thing happened when I was doing the cover for the Walk Two Moons book.
ellemichele
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellemichele.html

Post by ellemichele »

This is sooooo great! I had just posted that I wanted to be able to actually keep track of the books I've been reading! Way to go Scott & Gail!
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Two Updates To Bookshelves

1 - I have added the ability to submit publication date data for books. This is done very similarly to the way genre can be submitted.

2 - I have modified the report feature so that when reporting a book as having incorrect spelling--of either the title, subtitle or author fields or combination of those--one can quickly just type in the correct spelling. This will save the reporter hassle of manually having to find the correct version of the book or submit a new copy of the book.

I am continually working on improving the moderator control panel to make it easier to use so that other members will easily be able to moderate and confirm the reports of misinformation. That in turn will help keep the data on Bookshelves accurate, while maintaining the feature of giving a lot of power to each and every member to submit data for books.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

Hi, Scott. Well done and thanks for the new options. I just thought I'd let you know that the ability to select a genre for a new book (or one with a genre not already allocated to it) has entirely disappeared and now only the publication date remains. You might want to look into this :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

ryanj1 wrote:Hi, Scott. Well done and thanks for the new options. I just thought I'd let you know that the ability to select a genre for a new book (or one with a genre not already allocated to it) has entirely disappeared and now only the publication date remains. You might want to look into this :)
:oops: Fixed

-- 05 Feb 2015 06:03 pm --

Important Notice: Through a mistake I made when merging some of the reports of misspelled titles or duplicate books, I accidentally deleted some books from members' shelves instead of merging the book with the alternately spelled version. This doesn't affect all ratings of those books, and can only affect those books that were merged. I have created a link to a list on the homepage of Bookshelves that lists all of the books that were potentially affected. That list automatically filters out books already in one's shelves. So please quickly take a look and see if there are any books that were removed from your shelves by mistake. I am very sorry for the mistake and will work much harder on preventing this kind of data loss in the future.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Scott wrote: 2 - I have modified the report feature so that when reporting a book as having incorrect spelling--of either the title, subtitle or author fields or combination of those--one can quickly just type in the correct spelling. This will save the reporter hassle of manually having to find the correct version of the book or submit a new copy of the book.
Do we type it into the 'good book' field?

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Graverobber wrote:
Scott wrote: 2 - I have modified the report feature so that when reporting a book as having incorrect spelling--of either the title, subtitle or author fields or combination of those--one can quickly just type in the correct spelling. This will save the reporter hassle of manually having to find the correct version of the book or submit a new copy of the book.
Do we type it into the 'good book' field?
No, you do not need to do that. If the 'Good Book' field is empty, you will be prompted to enter the correct spelling manually. I have just made a change to the notes on the report form advising of this.

When trying the report form myself, I found it was much easier to just type in the correct spelling then go find the "good book".

Also, by having the reporting member enter the correct spelling, the software is able to check automatically if the correct version already exists and create it if it does not.

Perhaps it would make things more clear if I just remove the "good book" field for the URL?

-- 06 Feb 2015 02:28 pm --

Question: I am thinking it would be a good idea to do something with authors on Bookshelves. For instance, each different author could have an automatically-generated page on Bookshelves much like each book has a page. The page could list all the books currently on Bookshelves by that author and perhaps could list the members who like that author or who like books by that author.

I could also generate an automatic list of the members who have added the most books by that author to their shelves.

Maybe I could add a way for members to select a few favorite authors. Similarly, I am thinking maybe of having an option for members to select like a "top 4" books from their shelves. Basically, this would be for members who have a significant number of books in their shelves including their respective 4 out of 4 shelves. They could choose a top 4.

Thoughts and feedback are greatly appreciated.

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

That all sounds very interesting :mrgreen:
I would love to see that in action :)

And thank you!

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

Scott wrote: Question: I am thinking it would be a good idea to do something with author's on Bookshelves. For instance, each different author could have an automatically-generated page on Bookshelves much like each book has a page. The page could list all the books currently on Bookshelves by that author and perhaps could list the members who like that author or who like books by that author.

I could also generate an automatic list of the members who have added the most books by that author to their shelves.

Maybe I could add a way for members to select a few favorite authors. Similarly, I am thinking maybe of having an option for members to select like a "top 4" books from their shelves. Basically, this would be for members who have a significant number of books in their shelves including their respective 4 out of 4 shelves. They could choose a top 4.

Thoughts and feedback are greatly appreciated.
I've thought about all of these myself, so of course I think they're both great ideas! :mrgreen:

Perhaps we could stretch that four to five, though? It just seems like a much more rounded number as one might usually have a "top five" but rarely a "top 4".

I've also been wondering whether the "trash bin" might be used in the same way as a "misc." folder in which to store books that users want to either: a) read in the later future or b) keep somewhere because they're undecided. Also, if one uploads a new book it must be added to one of the shelves (usually 'to read' for many people, though I opt for the "trash bin") which can be quite cumbersome. Thus the 'to read' shelf becomes filled with too many books that users don't intend to read for quite a while. This can be solved by either: a) offering users the ability to completely remove books from their shelves, b) making the "trash bin" private and using it as a personal sorting area (and also change its name) or c) adding another compartment in which to store books of this sort. Personally, I think both options A and B combined would be the most effective as C would only be more cumbersome. Would this be possible? :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Good ideas Scott and Ryan! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”