Featured Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts

Discuss the October 2013 book of the month "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell.
Ariel93
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Featured Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts (SEE CONT

Post by Ariel93 »

Your review was very well said, and it captured my attention. I'm very into paranormal books, and I look forward to reading The Boy who Lived with Ghosts.
NSBookLover
Favorite Author: Kurt Vonnegut
Favorite Book: The Happiness Project
Currently Reading: The Boys in the Boat
fav_author_id: 2721

Post by NSBookLover »

I loved this reveiw. There's a very fine line between reveiwing and spoiling the book for others, and you didn't reveal too much. Definately going to read it. Thanks!
cmmedina

Post by cmmedina »

Is this a recommended first read for someone who has never read books of this type?
winsuan

Post by winsuan »

Would love to read this book!
dawnymouse1977

Post by dawnymouse1977 »

This is my first appearance on here and The Boy who Lived with Ghosts certainly seems like something exciting to read !
Lexicon65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lexicon65.html

Post by Lexicon65 »

This is a book that I'd not normally pick up, but after reading the review I will seek it out.
Destiny90

Post by Destiny90 »

i would love to read the book. sounds interesting.
robstar68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robstar68.html

Post by robstar68 »

after reading the review of this book i would recommend it. it is a good book and i will certainly be getting a copy.
R.S.Williams
Chebhear
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chebhear.html

Post by Chebhear »

Sounds like a good book. I haven't really tried reading any paranormal ones,this book could be the first. Thanks for the review :)
rayraysoto_

Post by rayraysoto_ »

sounds like a good book

-- 15 Sep 2013, 14:56 --

need to read this book

-- 15 Sep 2013, 14:56 --

need to read this book
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Just finished this book and it is a truly amazing read. Ghost stories wouldn't be my preferred reading so the title of this book would not have drawn me to it & had it not featured here on the Forums I probably would not have read it. It's a coming of age story set in Britain in the 1960s and told through the eyes and the voice of John as he moves from early childhood to his teenage years. Mitchell does an excellent job of retaining the integrity of the childs voice thorought the book and the bewilderment of a child faced with an inexplicable adult world. Extremly sad in parts and yet including a lot of humour it tells the story of a family slowly falling apart as a consequence of poverty and encroaching mental illness. John Mitchell hides nothing as he reveals a life of dirty rooms, smells, extraordinary poverty, neglect and abuse - a very far cry from the "summer of love" and "rock and roll" years of 1960s.
I found this book to be an amazing and yet painful read and that John and his twin sister survived and established successful lives for themselves is a testament to their strength of character and adaptability. Definitely deserving of a 4/4 rating
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
simplore
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplore.html

Post by simplore »

Think I might pick that one up next, it sounds quite raw.
Neleh403
Favorite Author: Diane Chamberlain
Favorite Book: The stand by Stephen King
Currently Reading: Of mice and men
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neleh403.html
Latest Review: "Plymouth Discovery" by Bill Brown
fav_author_id: 2413

Post by Neleh403 »

Have just downloaded it to my kindle. Really looking forward to reading it. An excellent review.
Latest Review: "Plymouth Discovery" by Bill Brown
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

Fran wrote:Just finished this book and it is a truly amazing read. Ghost stories wouldn't be my preferred reading so the title of this book would not have drawn me to it & had it not featured here on the Forums I probably would not have read it. It's a coming of age story set in Britain in the 1960s and told through the eyes and the voice of John as he moves from early childhood to his teenage years. Mitchell does an excellent job of retaining the integrity of the childs voice thorought the book and the bewilderment of a child faced with an inexplicable adult world. Extremly sad in parts and yet including a lot of humour it tells the story of a family slowly falling apart as a consequence of poverty and encroaching mental illness. John Mitchell hides nothing as he reveals a life of dirty rooms, smells, extraordinary poverty, neglect and abuse - a very far cry from the "summer of love" and "rock and roll" years of 1960s.
I found this book to be an amazing and yet painful read and that John and his twin sister survived and established successful lives for themselves is a testament to their strength of character and adaptability. Definitely deserving of a 4/4 rating

Thank you for this additional rating. I definitely need to read this now.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
tara625
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tara625.html

Post by tara625 »

This seems like a fresh idea for a book. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “"The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell”