Official Review: Vengeance (Tip of the Spear Book 2)

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: Vengeance (Tip of the Spear Book 2)

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vengeance (Tip of the Spear Book 2)" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Layla has finally got her life together. She has a wonderful husband, a beautiful daughter and a burgeoning career. It only takes a second to have it all come crashing down in Vengeance, Book Two in Belle Ami´s Tip of the Spear romance series.

While in New York, Layla is kidnapped by Iranian terrorists when out to lunch with a friend. The extremists want nothing more than to use her as bait to trap her husband, Cyrus, an Israeli spy. With her daughter, Cerise´s, life in danger as well, can Layla do whatever it takes to ensure Cerise´s safety, and will Cyrus be in time, not only save the woman he loves, but to also stop a terrorist attack of catastrophic destruction?

Written in third person, the story follows both Layla and Cyrus as they react to the circumstances in which they find themselves. Both characters are well balanced and I liked how, even though this is a typical damsel in distress scenario, Layla doesn’t placidly wait to be rescued. Her character shows determination and a refreshing resilience. Cyrus´s character is a typical dominant male, strong-minded and determined, however, he shows his vulnerability and weakness in his love for Layla. I also enjoyed the character of Cass, the FBI Agent leading the case. She was also a very strong female character, whose authority was accepted unchallenged by her partner, David, and they have formed a relationship built on mutual respect and admiration.

Set in the USA, with some scenes in Israel, the plot outlined the very real current issue of terrorism. While it’s easy to have the “bad guys” as a stereotypical nationality and imply all from that country are terrorists, I liked how in this story other Iranian people are shown working hard to make their way in a new country. These people are portrayed as harmless and good-natured. This illustrated well that there will always be extremists in every country, but it is not the attitude of each person.

The story itself touches on some very serious topics, not only terrorism, but rape, kidnapping and PTSD. I liked how it illustrated the after effects a traumatic event can have on a person, not only on their mental stability, but their personal life as well. While these are heavy subjects, they never overwhelmed the story. The writing itself was well paced and flowed smoothly, making it both an easy and enjoyable read.

As the second in the series, I was concerned that I would be confused, seeing as I haven’t read the first book. However, this wasn’t the case, and while there were some references made to the previous story, this one can be classified as a stand-alone book in its own right.

The only criticism that I had was that sometimes things seemed to fall into place a little too easily, which bordered on unrealistic. This, however, was a minor issue and overall I enjoyed the book for its easy to read style and incorporation of serious issues. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is a book for a wide range of readers, especially those who like strong female characters and have a soft spot for romance and rescue.

Vengeance (Tip of the Spear Book 2)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a good second story in the series. Thanks for a lovely review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I am glad the lead female character of the series is portrayed as a strong woman. Seems like it is a series that discusses serious current events while being engaging. Thanks for the good review.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

This sounds like such a compelling story, I don't know if I could cope with the kidnapping part, as I have a daughter but I think I would give this book a try. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Ana Njeri
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-njeri.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ana Njeri »

This is an amazing review. I am however dissapointed that the author didn't twist the plot alittle bit from her previous book escape which is the first book in the tip of the spear series.the first book involved Layla being kidnapped with her boyfriend Zamir. The second book now involves Layla being kidnapped with her daughter celise. This is too disappointing.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that's not what ships are for. So be the person outside the box, get out of your comfort zone, that's the person you want to be.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

At last the sequel is out. This one also looks to follow in the success of the first book in the series. I already like the plot and look forward to reading it. Thanks for a great review.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like one great book with endearing and admirable characters. And it's good that it is a standalone which means I will enjoy it even without reading the first book. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Belle Ami on such an obviously well written book.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Two is already out?! & I haven't even read one yet! Great review, I have to hurry things up, thanks for the info
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

Wonderful review! To tell you the truth, am really excited that book 2 is out. I have read the tip of the spear book 1 and I really enjoyed it.
You can check out my review to get a glimpse of how the book went.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

Great review . The book seem to have great content in it though you have mentioned that at times it seemed unrealistic this is because the book is a fiction. It also shows the role women can play they can be leaders and not just followers. Great work
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

I cannot wait to read this book, I enjoyed the first book and sure this will be better.Thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I just recently reviewed "Escape (Tip of the Spear Book One)" and really enjoyed it. I had already been looking forward to reading the second installment, but your review made me want to even more. Your thoughts on "Vengeance" mirrored mine of the first book...great references to international affairs and serious topics, all while not overshadowing the love story. Sounds like another win for Belle Ami!
Olympia Kabao
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Olympia Kabao »

This is a very good and a self motivating book on our recent real life situations. I look forward for the future of so much fun while expressing real life.
eleh Micheal
Currently Reading: Justice
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by eleh Micheal »

the review is wonderful! now knows what happens in the book
Scoco
Currently Reading: Forever Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Scoco »

I love it. Its so emotional especially in that kidnapping part.thanks for the inspiration

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”