Official Review: 30th Century: Escape

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Official Review: 30th Century: Escape

Post by mratdegraff91 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin PhD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Published in June 2015, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin is a memorable novel. At only 464 pages this book instantly grabs the reader’s attention from page one.

It is the 30th century, and SS leader Jennifer Hero is determined to save humanity from the genetically modified Syndos. The Syndos were created to settle interstellar planets but are attempting to dominate earth by wiping out the human race. To prevent this from happening, she plans to go back in time to plant a virus that will prevent the Syndos from developing certain qualities which have led to this dilemma. She sends her team of colleagues back to the 27th century while going back to the 21st herself, attempting to change her life for the better. She recently lost her love and is stressed to the max, while dealing with the Syndos and saving the world.

Upon arriving in the 21st century, she is stranded on the radioactive island of Moruroa for several months before being rescued by Marty Zitonick. She feigns amnesia upon realizing that the history books she studied left out vital facts about the culture, causing culture shock and difficulties in her numerous relationships. Can she find a place in this world to start a new life? Is there a way to check on her team? She also must hide her superior intelligence and nanotech-enhanced abilities to prevent suspicion while attempting to fit in this new world.

The storyline in 30th Century: Escape was easy to follow. I felt that it flowed smoothly from the start of the book to the end. Some of the characters were somewhat underdeveloped, but the main character Jennifer was developed well. Several themes observed throughout the storyline include strength, courage, sexuality, and love. The main character demonstrates strength and courage as she goes back in time to save the world and do it by living among people of the past in a very different culture. The novel explores the themes of sexuality and love by focusing on a variety of ways to love others. Also relating to love, Jennifer develops a strong love interest in Marty after being rescued. She feared she would never be able to love again after losing her former lover in the 30th century.

The setting of this story was constantly changing as the book progressed. It varied from island to island and even included some time in Canada. The author did not go into much detail regarding the scenes in Canada, but did an excellent job with the island scenery.

In reading this novel, there were several things that I enjoyed and several things I did not. Starting with the things I did like, I enjoyed seeing Jennifer’s character mature as the story progressed. She grew stronger and more confident in herself as she adapted to new life in the 21st century. I also enjoyed how Marty’s character changed after meeting Jennifer. He became more open and accepting as the two grew closer changing his view of relationships. I also enjoyed reading about all the different island’s as the setting changed. The author even included small pictures at the start of chapters depicting the different islands or something unique from that chapter. It seemed to give me more to work with in imagining the setting as the story progressed.

Something I did not like was the numerous sex scenes toward the end of the novel. They were very detailed and frequent. Not something for young readers or anyone bothered by sex scenes. I also observed several grammatical errors where words were used in the wrong verb tense, missing, or misspelled. It was hard to make sense of several paragraphs with these issues which lead me to give this novel a 3 out of 4 stars. With some continued editing it will be easy to fix these problems.

30th Century: Escape
View: on Bookshelves

Like mratdegraff91's review? Post a comment saying so!
Madison Degraffenreid
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

The books seems interesting but excess sex scenes make me loose interest in novels. Nice review though
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Hi,
This book reminds me of the continuum TV series. I love the time traveling aspect of both. Great review.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I'm planning to read this one, I'll just skim past the sex scenes I find them pointless and distracting too...
Great review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Too bad about all the errors; it sounds like the concept of this one is at least unique and intriguing. Thanks for the insightful review!
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

This plot of this book is something that will make your nerves tingle with excitement. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the concept of this novel, but it seems the author included some explicit content that isn't really for me. I'm not sure it adds much to the story (as I've seen in other reviews), but I'm glad that others like you are able to enjoy the book anyway. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I was thinking about reading this book. Your review helped in making the decision. I liked your review and hence the book.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Good review. I like the book for its themes of strength and courage. The story line also makes it adventurous.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Someone above me mentioned the Canadian Continuum TV series! Yes, that's exactly what my first thought was as well.
I'm lately into science fiction, so, based on your great review, I'll get the book.
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

This book is everything a reader is looking for, I enjoy reading fiction it allows my mind to wander.Thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Miss ejay
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-ejay.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by Miss ejay »

Thanks for the insightful view. Definitely adding to my want to read list.
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

Time travel is a theme that very few know how to explain. It's a matter of theoretical ideas on how it happens. Anyway the best author is the one who knows how to intergrate this information to write a fantastic novel. Great review.
Shahina Hussain
Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Shahina Hussain »

Interesting plus romantic
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

I believe the errors didn't take much from the story. The storyline was great and the plotting even better. so worth the time spent reading it.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”