Official Review: Of My Own Hand's Weaving

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Official Review: Of My Own Hand's Weaving

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Of My Own Hand's Weaving" by Mary Boscoletta.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Of My Own Hand’s Weaving by Mary Boscoletta is not your usual ‘love conquers all’ romantic fiction. Rather, it is a story of life and relationships, whether it is romantic or not, with a little touch of magic. It raises moral questions on a person’s fidelity and familial duties.

Set in the 1960s, the story centers Jeannie, an attractive woman from England. Because of her troubled past, Jeannie has sworn off men for life. Ever since she broke up with her sadistic boyfriend, she stayed with Gretchen, her friend. Now twenty-seven and still living in Gretch’s attic, Jeannie thought her life was going on as she planned. It was not until Colombo “Col” Borgia came to her life that Jeannie knew she was in trouble again. She was attracted to him, yes, but she could not do what her heart wants. Before Jeannie could get any delusions of having any future with Col, she must first escape her past and face her present head on.

Col has a strong belief in destiny, fidelity, and family. The moment he saw Jeannie, he knew they were destined for each other. He knew Jeannie has hesitations, so he intended to woo her patiently. Yet, when his brother heard of their closeness, Col became more aggressive. He knew that LeoLuca wanted everything that belonged to him, including women. If Col wanted Jeannie for himself, he must first sort things out with his family in Sicily.

What I loved about the book was that it had a unique story line. It followed the boy meets girl path at first, but as the story progressed, it deviated to another path. The addition of magical twist was quite impressive, too. Col once assisted a witch and he learned some tricks that one would not expect from a macho hairstylist. He used magic to help Jeannie many times, even to the point of endangering himself.

The secondary characters were also given substantial backstories. I sympathized with Frank when Gretch left him for another man. I could somehow relate to Peta, Jeannie’s neighbor, when she complained about her uncertainties in life.

Throughout the book, there were scattered Sicilian words and phrases that Col uttered. It was quite hard to understand at first, but the author did a great job in supplying the English translation of such words. There was also an insight on how Sicilians feel about family and marriage in general. Col’s beliefs were crystal clear the moment he was introduced in the book.

There are, however, some points I would like to point out. First, the book was written in Jeannie’s perspective, but there were times that it shifted to Col’s point-of-view without warning. It confused me whenever the shift happens. Secondly, some parts of the book were too fast. Marta’s death, Col and Jean’s stay in the hotel, and Jeannie and LeoLuca’s first meeting were all puzzling to me. I had to read these sections a couple of times before I realized what had actually happened. Lastly, I could not connect with the main characters. There were times when Col seemed to be too good to be true. Jeannie also had experiences that I could not relate to. This was difficult for me because I could not get in their shoes and figure out what their reasons were for their hasty actions.

For these reasons, I give Of My Own Hand’s Weaving 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend this to readers of romantic fiction. Be warned that this book has some mature content, so it may not be suitable for young readers.

Of My Own Hand's Weaving
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ellieonline03's review? Post a comment saying so!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

The setting and concept of this one sounds really interesting, but I think the sudden change in narrative perspective would be confusing and off putting. Interesting review! :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've read books with the sudden change in perspective. It is difficult to follow. This one's not for me. Thanks though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

I don't really read love stories unless they are strikingly different. I liked the review very much. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

MarisaRose wrote:The setting and concept of this one sounds really interesting, but I think the sudden change in narrative perspective would be confusing and off putting. Interesting review! :)
Thank you, MarisaRose!

-- March 26th, 2017, 7:17 pm --
Shreyoshi Sen wrote:I don't really read love stories unless they are strikingly different. I liked the review very much. Thanks.
Thank you, Shreyoshi Sen! If you liked the review, you might like the book as well.
Camogirl217
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camogirl217.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Camogirl217 »

While the plot does sound unique, it seems like this book has too much drama. Good review, by the way!
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Camogirl217 wrote:While the plot does sound unique, it seems like this book has too much drama. Good review, by the way!
You can put it that way. I have to disagree, though. I think there is enough obstacle presented in the book.
Peterpanreads
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterpanreads.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Peterpanreads »

Nice review! I have tried reading this book before, but I ended up not finishing it. I did not connect with any of the characters either, so it does not really bother me that I have no idea how the story ended.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Thank you, Peterpanreads! It's sad to know you were not able to finish reading this book. However, I hoped you enjoyed reading it somehow.
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

Based on the cover itself, it looks like a very interesting book to read. The sudden change of point of view is really confusing, especially if there's no notification. Congrats on a well-written review!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Thank you, michelonline29! I did not enjoy this book that much, but maybe you would! The cover is indeed beautiful, and it says a lot about the book.
dbrooks8109
Currently Reading: The Buried Pyramid
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbrooks8109.html
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dbrooks8109 »

Wonderful review! I had a very hard time getting through this book though, because like you, I could not connect with the characters enough to get through it fast. I also felt like the book was very disjointed and hard to follow.
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

dbrooks8109 wrote:Wonderful review! I had a very hard time getting through this book though, because like you, I could not connect with the characters enough to get through it fast. I also felt like the book was very disjointed and hard to follow.
Thank you, dbrooks8109! It seems that I am not the only one having this problem after all. I wanted to Connect to Col or Jeannie but it was very difficult.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

a romance story with a dose of the supernatural action time....sounds interesting . i'll definitely try it
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

shish_by_design wrote:a romance story with a dose of the supernatural action time....sounds interesting . i'll definitely try it
That's great. If you finish reading the book, please tell me your thoughts about it, too! Thank you, shish_by_design!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”