Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Romance and Erotic Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Of My Own Hand's Weaving

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.

Official Review: Of My Own Hand's Weaving

Post Number:#1 by ellieonline03
» 10 Mar 2017, 11:06

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Of My Own Hand's Weaving" by Mary Boscoletta.]

Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Review by ellieonline03
Share This Review

Of My Own Hand’s Weaving by Mary Boscoletta is not your usual ‘love conquers all’ romantic fiction. Rather, it is a story of life and relationships, whether it is romantic or not, with a little touch of magic. It raises moral questions on a person’s fidelity and familial duties.

Set in the 1960s, the story centers Jeannie, an attractive woman from England. Because of her troubled past, Jeannie has sworn off men for life. Ever since she broke up with her sadistic boyfriend, she stayed with Gretchen, her friend. Now twenty-seven and still living in Gretch’s attic, Jeannie thought her life was going on as she planned. It was not until Colombo “Col” Borgia came to her life that Jeannie knew she was in trouble again. She was attracted to him, yes, but she could not do what her heart wants. Before Jeannie could get any delusions of having any future with Col, she must first escape her past and face her present head on.

Col has a strong belief in destiny, fidelity, and family. The moment he saw Jeannie, he knew they were destined for each other. He knew Jeannie has hesitations, so he intended to woo her patiently. Yet, when his brother heard of their closeness, Col became more aggressive. He knew that LeoLuca wanted everything that belonged to him, including women. If Col wanted Jeannie for himself, he must first sort things out with his family in Sicily.

What I loved about the book was that it had a unique story line. It followed the boy meets girl path at first, but as the story progressed, it deviated to another path. The addition of magical twist was quite impressive, too. Col once assisted a witch and he learned some tricks that one would not expect from a macho hairstylist. He used magic to help Jeannie many times, even to the point of endangering himself.

The secondary characters were also given substantial backstories. I sympathized with Frank when Gretch left him for another man. I could somehow relate to Peta, Jeannie’s neighbor, when she complained about her uncertainties in life.

Throughout the book, there were scattered Sicilian words and phrases that Col uttered. It was quite hard to understand at first, but the author did a great job in supplying the English translation of such words. There was also an insight on how Sicilians feel about family and marriage in general. Col’s beliefs were crystal clear the moment he was introduced in the book.

There are, however, some points I would like to point out. First, the book was written in Jeannie’s perspective, but there were times that it shifted to Col’s point-of-view without warning. It confused me whenever the shift happens. Secondly, some parts of the book were too fast. Marta’s death, Col and Jean’s stay in the hotel, and Jeannie and LeoLuca’s first meeting were all puzzling to me. I had to read these sections a couple of times before I realized what had actually happened. Lastly, I could not connect with the main characters. There were times when Col seemed to be too good to be true. Jeannie also had experiences that I could not relate to. This was difficult for me because I could not get in their shoes and figure out what their reasons were for their hasty actions.

For these reasons, I give Of My Own Hand’s Weaving 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend this to readers of romantic fiction. Be warned that this book has some mature content, so it may not be suitable for young readers.

Of My Own Hand's Weaving
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ellieonline03's review? Post a comment saying so!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
ellieonline03

Favorite Book: The Devil and Miss Prym
Currently Reading: Obur Syndrome
Bookshelf Size: 90 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 100%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Of My Own Hand's Weaving

Post Number:#2 by MarisaRose
» 25 Mar 2017, 12:56

The setting and concept of this one sounds really interesting, but I think the sudden change in narrative perspective would be confusing and off putting. Interesting review! :)
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 148%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 25 Mar 2017, 19:57

I've read books with the sudden change in perspective. It is difficult to follow. This one's not for me. Thanks though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Sylvio: Past and Present" by R. E. Beebe
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: The Maid of Salerno
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 39%

Post Number:#4 by Shreyoshi Sen
» 26 Mar 2017, 05:38

I don't really read love stories unless they are strikingly different. I liked the review very much. Thanks.
Shreyoshi Sen's Latest Review: "A Tree Called Morality" by Michael Tsaphah
Shreyoshi Sen

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 180 Books
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#5 by ellieonline03
» 26 Mar 2017, 06:16

MarisaRose wrote:The setting and concept of this one sounds really interesting, but I think the sudden change in narrative perspective would be confusing and off putting. Interesting review! :)

Thank you, MarisaRose!

-- March 26th, 2017, 7:17 pm --

Shreyoshi Sen wrote:I don't really read love stories unless they are strikingly different. I liked the review very much. Thanks.

Thank you, Shreyoshi Sen! If you liked the review, you might like the book as well.
ellieonline03

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by Camogirl217
» 31 Mar 2017, 16:11

While the plot does sound unique, it seems like this book has too much drama. Good review, by the way!
Camogirl217's Latest Review: "Pursuing Grace" by Anita Cox
Camogirl217

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#7 by ellieonline03
» 31 Mar 2017, 21:19

Camogirl217 wrote:While the plot does sound unique, it seems like this book has too much drama. Good review, by the way!

You can put it that way. I have to disagree, though. I think there is enough obstacle presented in the book.
ellieonline03

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by Peterpanreads
» 15 Apr 2017, 10:18

Nice review! I have tried reading this book before, but I ended up not finishing it. I did not connect with any of the characters either, so it does not really bother me that I have no idea how the story ended.
Peterpanreads's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Peterpanreads

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 274 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#9 by ellieonline03
» 16 Apr 2017, 10:12

Thank you, Peterpanreads! It's sad to know you were not able to finish reading this book. However, I hoped you enjoyed reading it somehow.
ellieonline03

View Reviewer Page