Review by Amagine -- Wrong Turn, Right Guy by Haylie B. Fox

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Review by Amagine -- Wrong Turn, Right Guy by Haylie B. Fox

Post by Amagine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Teresa M. Vadney is a single middle age attorney who works for a highly demanding law firm that won’t even let her take a vacation to Italy that she planned for weeks in advance (which is also her best friend’s wedding). She realizes that she is tired of sacrificing her life for work so she chooses Italy, adopts a dog and hop on a plane with her mother to Italy for the wedding. Along the way, she experiences the beautiful country of Italy and its citizens, meet and fall in love with two guys and discovers and learns to conquer her fears concerning her future.

When I first read the title, Wrong Turn, Right Guy by Haylie B. Fox, I was excited. After all, I’m a romance novel connoisseur (I assumed it was a romance novel because of the title). When I started reading the chapters, I didn’t understand what it was anymore. The beginning of the novel, failed to capture my interest as it starts with a flash back that I now look back on and think, “What was the point of that?” In fact, majority of the novel had me questioning what was the point of a lot of events that took place. I noticed that for a romance novel, it took a LONG time to get to the romance. The author bombards the readers with mundane subjects and the plot drags on with uninteresting and pointless events. Here’s an example, chapter 2 was all about Teresa finding a dog and naming it after a former teacher…. that’s it. The dog doesn’t have any relevance in the story and yet has a whole chapter dedicated to him.

She finally makes it to Italy after a few un-noteworthy chapters and I become excited again. After reading detail after detail about her everyday life, I was finally going to be introduced to the male lead… except… that didn’t happen for a few more chapters. Instead, I read chapters of her adventures in Italy with her mother. I began to note that this isn’t a romance novel…but a journal the main character is writing in, telling the reader every single detail about her life from how many times she uses the bathroom from drinking too much coffee to how many times her naive mother could have put them in dangerous situations.

Grammatically, this story is an easy read but plot wise, it’s a hard one to get through especially if like me, you assume it’s a romance novel. As mentioned earlier, the author struggles with the plot and in order to make it novel length, she puts in too many unnecessary details and chapters that really should have been taken out from the main story. It takes way too long in the plot for Teresa to meet a romantic male lead. When she finally does, the author fails to make him interesting, make the romance interesting and in general, there is absolutely no spark between them. There’s hardly any dialogue between the two. The main character spoke more to her mother while traveling all around Italy than she did the male lead! It made me feel that the title of the story should have been, “My Mother, Me and the Beautiful Italy.” The story becomes even more complicated and confusing for the reader when a second love interest reveals himself more than halfway through the book. The men in the story aren’t treated as fleshed out individuals in Teresa’s life. They are treated as props, more filler material who have no true relevancy in the story. As for the main character, Teresa, herself, it’s hard to find her likable because of her constant complaining and whininess throughout the story. Don’t get me wrong, she’s relatable (After all, don’t we all complain and become whiny) but she is also incredibly unlikable.

If I had to give a positive, it would be that I admire a character who realizes that a change needs to be made in her life and then goes out to change it. The author did well in writing of Teresa’s journey of self-discovery. The problem is, if this is the main point of the story, then the title is incredibly misleading and it will leave many readers incredibly disappointed. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars and the two stars are simply because of the one positive that I gave. If I had to recommend this book, I would recommend it to an adult female audience who just like Teresa, feel like they need to make a change in their life and can maybe relate to her. I would tell all the romance novel lovers to stay away. As I learned the hard way, never assume you know a book just because of its title. Titles can be misleading.

Wrong Turn, Right Guy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

Thank you very much for your review.
I think when we are avid readers, we all learn the hard way that titles are misleading. For me even authors have been misleading, there is an author whose first book I loved, but the second was not my cup of tea.
I appreciate your precise comments about the plot, more than ever I value those people and authors who are good storytellers, sometimes the stories are not even new, but storytellers have a way to make it interesting.
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

I agree, titles are misleading. They say to never judge a book by its cover and after reading this story, I finally understood why.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. it seems like the title is quite misleading. I am glad that you were able to find a positive to this book.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank you for reading, Jaime! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Antares
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antares.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Antares »

I loved this review. I'm currently reading a book that fooled me in the same way. So frustrating!! I actually appreciate your honesty so much. I don't normally enjoy romantic novels but, I think that I might enjoy this one. You know, since it isn't a romance.
Follow your dreams, read a good book, and put your feet up with a nice glass of wine.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thanks for reading! :D

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the insightful review! I believe this was named something else before because on the bookshelves, it says that I've read it. I looked it up - it was called Falling Off the Career Ladder and it had a different cover, but it's definitely the same story. I did not like the main character's constant whininess and hearing about all of her complaints. The romance was bland and the entire story just did not suit me. Too bad though, because the new cover is cute! Thank you, again, for sharing your thoughts!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

hsimone wrote:Thank you for the insightful review! I believe this was named something else before because on the bookshelves, it says that I've read it. I looked it up - it was called Falling Off the Career Ladder and it had a different cover, but it's definitely the same story. I did not like the main character's constant whininess and hearing about all of her complaints. The romance was bland and the entire story just did not suit me. Too bad though, because the new cover is cute! Thank you, again, for sharing your thoughts!
Thanks for reading, hsimone! :D

I'm glad we share the same opinion of this book! I wonder if the story has been revised since there is a new cover. :eusa-think:

Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Amagine wrote:
hsimone wrote:Thank you for the insightful review! I believe this was named something else before because on the bookshelves, it says that I've read it. I looked it up - it was called Falling Off the Career Ladder and it had a different cover, but it's definitely the same story. I did not like the main character's constant whininess and hearing about all of her complaints. The romance was bland and the entire story just did not suit me. Too bad though, because the new cover is cute! Thank you, again, for sharing your thoughts!
Thanks for reading, hsimone! :D

I'm glad we share the same opinion of this book! I wonder if the story has been revised since there is a new cover. :eusa-think:
Hm...maybe... :eusa-think: Either way, it still sounds very similar and I was disappointed with the story, in general. I actually gave it a 2/4 stars, as well.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”