Official Review: Behind The Door by A.Gavazzoni

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: Behind The Door by A.Gavazzoni

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Behind The Door" by A.Gavazzoni.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wanted to tip your toes into the forbidden, just for a taste of something outside your normal boundaries? Ever wanted to challenge yourself to try new and dangerous things? Simone understands the feeling, though she doesn’t exactly sympathize. Simone is a psychiatrist specializing in sexual behavior, and is recruited by criminal lawyer Carl to give her opinion on one of his cases. The case involves Lara, a sexual addict with seemingly no boundaries, and Mark, the man she strings along until he ends her life in a moment of passion. Simone is given Mark’s written account of the couple’s relationship to read and remark upon, but her relationship with her new client may be more dangerous than the steamy thoughts filling her head…

Behind the Door wonderfully combines the steam of an erotic novel with the suspense of a murder mystery. It keeps the reader’s heart racing from page to page, a result of both the highly detailed sex scenes and the dead bodies that keep popping up in Simone’s vicinity. Simone is intelligent and likeable, a complete foil to Lara’s over-the-top drama and flightiness. Both women were written so well, I had to wonder how much of the novel was written by Gavazzoni’s personal experience!

The novel’s pacing was great overall, and the ending had me gasping in surprise. I’m not too bad when it comes to murder mysteries, but Behind the Door was delightfully tricky! I will also say that I was afraid to read this book on the train in case some old man happened to look over my shoulder and have a heart attack, but once I started reading nothing could really stop me. I was completely enthralled by the story line.

I have one, and only one, complaint about the novel. Simone is being paid to read Mark’s account and her opinion may be what frees or sentences him. It is only natural that she reads it with a critical and clinical eye. However, due to the layout of the chapters in the novel, the reader often exits what was a steamy and enjoyable scene for Mark and Lara, only to have their feelings dampened by Simone’s analysis of the text. At times I looked forward to the continuation of Mark and Lara’s story more than I did Simone’s side of the text, and even had a few moments when I was irritated by the switch in perspectives. Although, looking back, perhaps the author was giving the reader a chance to cool themselves off a bit?

Overall, I would give Behind the Door 4 out of 4 stars. It is a wonderful debut novel by Gavazzoni, and has been followed by what seems to be an equally popular and well-written sequel. Although it is not for the faint of heart – trust me on this – I think it’s the perfect novel for someone who wishes to liven up their imagination, if not their actual lifestyle.

Behind The Door
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
melhara2017
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by melhara2017 »

What a great review. Sounds like something I would enjoy.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I'm not usually a fan of romance novels but I like that this one focuses a lot on the thriller element as well. It sounds like this one was hard to put down! Great job on the review - I will have to check this one out :)
mhausee
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhausee.html

Post by mhausee »

Ever heard of saying "never judge a book by it's cover"? And it's proven me right, literally. I though this book is like those chicklit with some steamy encounter, guess what, i'm wrong. Based on the review, this book will make me think to "what really happen" and I would love to read this.

-- 03 Mar 2017, 04:35 --

Ever heard of saying "never judge a book by it's cover"? And it's proven me right, literally. I though this book is like those chicklit with some steamy encounter, guess what, i'm wrong. Based on the review, this book will make me think to "what really happen" and I would love to read this.
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

MarisaRose wrote:I'm not usually a fan of romance novels but I like that this one focuses a lot on the thriller element as well. It sounds like this one was hard to put down! Great job on the review - I will have to check this one out :)
It's actually probably better if you're not a fan of the typical romance genre! :lol:
If you ever get around to reading it, please let me know what you think!
Mdarisi
Currently Reading: The Bonding
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mdarisi.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mdarisi »

The analysis just left in me a deep quest to read this novel. It is a mouth watering write so to say.
amsterdamsel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3834">The Last Kingdom</a>
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsterdamsel.html
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by amsterdamsel »

Like others have said, I thought this was going to be a romance novel - something I lost my taste for years ago - but, your review had me rethinking that assumption. I do like a well-crafted mystery and so have added it to my 'Must Reads'. Good review.
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

amsterdamsel wrote:Like others have said, I thought this was going to be a romance novel - something I lost my taste for years ago - but, your review had me rethinking that assumption. I do like a well-crafted mystery and so have added it to my 'Must Reads'. Good review.
Awesome! Once you've read it, please link me to your review! I love to hear others" opinions as well. :D
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Post by Megwe85 »

This is an excellent review. This book has been on my virtual "want to read" shelf for some time. I have to say that this review makes me want to pick it up as soon as possible.
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

Megwe85 wrote:This is an excellent review. This book has been on my virtual "want to read" shelf for some time. I have to say that this review makes me want to pick it up as soon as possible.
Awesome! Once you've finished, please link me to your review! I always love to hear other readers' opinions! :D
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Wow steamy sex scenes and a thriller! I've wanted to read this one for a while , but I will probably get to it quicker after reading your review. I was worried it was going to be too much of a romance novel originally. My favorite is "I will also say that I was afraid to read this book on the train in case some old man happened to look over my shoulder and have a heart attack, but once I started reading nothing could really stop me."
That's one of my fears reading these types of books too :lol2:
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

Kitkat3 wrote:Wow steamy sex scenes and a thriller! I've wanted to read this one for a while , but I will probably get to it quicker after reading your review. I was worried it was going to be too much of a romance novel originally. My favorite is "I will also say that I was afraid to read this book on the train in case some old man happened to look over my shoulder and have a heart attack, but once I started reading nothing could really stop me."
That's one of my fears reading these types of books too :lol2:
Yeah...I live in Japan so most people stare mostly because of the foreign/English novelty, but I've also stood next to a Japanese businessman who was reading in English soooo... best to be careful? :lol:
After you give Behind the Door a read-through, please link me to your review! I love to hear other people's opinions as well!
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

Great Review! This definitely sounds like something I would be interested in. I like that it has both romance and mystery written in the story. I think this would make the book double interesting.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
interrupted_girl
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by interrupted_girl »

Wow! Sensational review! I have got to read this now! Sounds like it has everything I enjoy in a book! Thank you
LRBarton
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by LRBarton »

I'm not a fan of romance at all but i do enjoy mystery. After reading this review I'm adding the book to my want to read shelf. If your only complaint about the book is the sudden switch from a steamy sex scene to an analysis of the event then I can't imagine what complaint i could possibly have. i will definitely try to read this one. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”