Official Review: Embellished by Karen Glista

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Embellished by Karen Glista

Post by jamesabr »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Embellished" by Karen Glista.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Bekka, her brother Travis, and his friends become the main characters of their own fantasy world, life becomes risky and potentially enchanting. After years of being critically ill with Marfan syndrome, Bekka gains a chance to know what life outside IV tubes are for the first time. As the men of this fantasy world become enchanted by her, a war may break out over one decision: marry Vallas, an honored human prince, or marry a prince of the notoriously hated Vadarc race?

Embellished is the first novel of the Orian trilogy, written by Karen Glista. It begins by introducing Travis, Bekka, and Travis’s friends in Galveston, Texas. Travis is a few days away from attending college, while Bekka, suffering from Marfans syndrome, rests in critical condition. Upon playing a fantasy game with Travis and his friends, she enjoys living through her character until the hurricane storm zaps the whole group out of the modern world and into Orian, the world of their game.

As far as the romance is concerned, this book is very well pieced together. The love triangle between Vallas, Bekka, and Randar becomes gritty, with both male’s tactics hitting hard without them having to directly contact each other until the middle of the story. Some background characters even develop alongside the main characters, which kept the first plot interesting.

The world of Orian is very well created, with interesting races of people and species of animals being utilized for the plot’s progression. The manner in which each kingdom conducts itself is reminiscent of the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms. The rituals are well orchestrated throughout to separate the royalty from the commoners and slaves, resulting in a fascinating array of cultures.

The end of the book surprised me, but I welcomed it. I didn’t expect the worse from this book, and Glista wrote it masterfully to avoid cliché routes that could’ve thrown off the entire story. The last fifty pages of the novel managed to be a quick read more so than the rest of the book because I knew all of the characters involved by that point. It also provided more depth to characters that I admittedly thought were going to be less than three dimensional.

I gladly rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I would’ve given it a rating of 4 if there weren’t so many comma splices and grammatical errors. It is very much a romance novel, but the sexual moments are grounded in the question of the existence of true love rather than explicit romps between two characters. Because of this, as well as the setting of Orian, I recommend Embellished for Fantasy and Romance novel enthusiasts over the age of sixteen. I look forward to Glista’s second novel of the series.

Embellished
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like jamesabr's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Andrea Ryan
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrea-ryan.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Andrea Ryan »

Nicely written review. It made me want to read the book + the cover looks really good, so I think I'm going to pick it up. :)
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

A very interesting book. I love books with various races and species. Too bad, though, about the errors. Good job on the review.
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

Very good review. I have added this book on my list to read this year. I'm interested to dig and read about this world that Karen Glista has created.
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I want to read it! It seems like it has everything I like in a book and more. Great review!
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
islandgirlpoetry1981
Currently Reading: What She Knew
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by islandgirlpoetry1981 »

I definitely will add it to my book shelf for books I want to read. The review drew my interest.
jamesokunmd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesokunmd.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by jamesokunmd »

Excellent review. Definitely want to read this one! Very complete analysis.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A group of kids that are whisked through an online game into the world of the game sure sounds intriguing. Too bad about the grammatical errors, though. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

The review is very good. Also, the book seems good. I would like to read it ?
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
OmololaAK
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by OmololaAK »

For one, I'm always interested in romance that is not too sex-explicit; it doesn't reek of flesh and blood annoyances. Obviously Beta was not encumbered with her ailment in the fantasy world. Great review.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review! The story sounds like something that I would enjoy, but I'm a little cautious to read this one because of the grammatical errors. Still, I might give it a chance.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

Embellished by Karen Glista.
An online game transports Travis, Bella and their friends to a beautiful but dangerous world of Orion through some elementary force of nature. What follows is abduction, barbaric rituals and hopelessness.
Georgialouise
Currently Reading: The Watchmaker&rsquo;s Doctor
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgialouise.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Georgialouise »

Great review. This book sounds really interesting and right up my street, despite the gramatical errors. I will be adding it to my TBR list. Thank you!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds quite interesting. It's interesting that one of the main characters is suffering from marfans. Sounds like something I'll have to pick up.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! This definitely sounds like a book that I will enjoy. It sounds very exciting and well developed with the characters, races of people and species of animals. I'm always wary about grammar and punctuation errors as they can pop me out of the story but I'm willing to take the chance on this one. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”