Official Review: Conflicting Perspectives by Toni Michelle

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Official Review: Conflicting Perspectives by Toni Michelle

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Conflicting Perspectives" by Toni Michelle.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Conflicting Perspectives by Toni Michelle is a short romance told in the first person perspective from Andrea’s point-of-view. Andrea is a divorced, single mother who is an English professor at a university. Her world is turned upside down when Samantha walks into her life. Andrea and Samantha have an instant connection that is sparked the moment Samantha starts working as Dean of Faculty at the university Andrea teaches at. When it begins to turn into more than just friendship, Andrea freaks out. She has a strong relationship with God and doesn’t believe that two women should ever be more than just friends. Ridden with guilt, she has to decide if their relationship is worth it.

At just 70 pages, this book is a short, easy read. I liked the length, but it seemed to be lacking substantial content in some areas. For example, it said in the beginning that Andrea is the single mother to Magnus. However, it only mentioned Magnus a couple of other times throughout the book. He was absent the rest of the time. This wouldn’t have been that big of a deal, but it happened in situations where he should have been present, like when Andrea was spending time at home. I found myself wondering where Magnus was quite often. It’s almost like he was just forgotten.

There was also inconsistency in the development of the main characters. Andrea’s character was really well developed, but Samantha’s character was lacking. The reader doesn’t really get to know her as much as they could, even though she is a very important character. Not knowing much about her made the motives behind some of her actions a little bit confusing. I would have liked to see the levels of development of the two main characters to be a little more equal.

The editing in this book needs some work. The errors included inconsistency in punctuation, missing letters, and missing words. The formatting of the book was also off. I read it on the Kindle app, and a lot of times there were random breaks in the middle of sentences and paragraphs. I downloaded the book directly through Amazon, so the formatting errors are slightly troublesome.

Even though there were some downfalls, I still enjoyed this book. Other than the lack of development in certain areas, the pacing of the book is pretty good. The chapters were a nice length; they were long enough to get the point across but short enough to leave me wanting more. The storyline of this book was also good, but it would be even better if some of the gaps I mentioned before were filled in. I also enjoyed the perspective of this book. The reader gets insight into a lot of Andrea’s thoughts about her relationship with Samantha since Andrea is the narrator. She had a hard time accepting her new romance because of her beliefs, and her guilt made the story seem more realistic.

I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. As it is currently written, it is a decent short romance. However, it has the potential to be more than that. With proper editing and more development, this could be a great story instead of just a decent one. I would love to read a revised version of this book. If you can handle the errors, it is still worth reading. I do want to point out that some of the romance scenes in this book get pretty detailed. I wouldn’t recommend this if you are looking for a clean read.

Conflicting Perspectives
View: on Bookshelves

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
melizabeth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by melizabeth »

I've been lookin for something to read that isn't going to take to long since school takes so much of my time. This sounds like a great book for me and i'll definitely look into it more.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. It sounds a little short and not well developed to me. It's not something I'm really interested in reading. Thanks for the review though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Thank you for taking the time to read the review! It's not a book for everyone, but it is an easy, short read that many people will like.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”