Review by Leonie555 -- For the Love of Suzanne

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leonie555
Currently Reading: We Are Water
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie555.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by Leonie555 -- For the Love of Suzanne

Post by Leonie555 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The very first paragraph of ‘For The Love Of Suzanne’ by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill, stopped me dead in my tracks. The detail from those first couple of sentences conjured memories of my own abusive relationship I found myself in for more than 10 years. I had to walk away from the book for a few days, not sure if I wanted to continue reading, but I eventually decided to pick it up where I left off. The powerful writing brought the characters to life for me and I was engrossed in the unfolding drama.

Here we have Suzanne in an abusive marriage and she has just learned that she is pregnant. Her abusive husband is not at all pleased about the news. A few chapters on the story took an unexpected turn when Suzanne had the accident in the desert. The only other person out in the desert at that time was the handsome Cody Black Fox who rescued her from the car wreck. As he was tending to her she questioned him about her surroundings and she learned that somehow, she ended up in the year 1860. My first thought was that Suzanne must be in a coma after the accident. Her adventures with Cody Black Fox was brilliantly portrayed but all the while I was convinced that Suzanne was dreaming. I continued reading - not sure whether I was enjoying the twist, yet not quite ready to put the book down. The more I read, the more the book disturbed me. The tension grew with each chapter and I was willing it to end. Suzanne went from pregnant mother out for a drive to being locked up in a fort, being brutally attacked by a village Chief and having to fight for survival during a snow storm. Each situation she found herself in seemed to be hopeless, however Cody always came to Suzanne’s rescue and they managed to escape and continue their journey in the hopes of getting Suzanne back to the year 2015 before she had to give birth to her baby.

The story ended on a romantic high and with a sigh of relief I put the book down, however I do have mixed feelings about this book as I have never been one to read time-travel fiction or anything with a paranormal twist to it. The book is well written and kept me captivated throughout. There were several repetitions about Suzanne’s feelings of inadequacy and Cody’s reference to being a ‘half-breed’, which I felt was unnecessary as it didn’t contribute anything new to the plot.

If you enjoy a twist and sitting on the edge of your seat while reading, then this book is for you!

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

For the Love of Suzanne
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Leonie555's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”